• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Congo Um-Bongo Gorillas in the Midst

So two Brits have been kidnapped, and a ranger murdered, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo whilst travelling to look at the gorillas.

Having a read of the Foreign Office travel advisory it basically says stay at home, put the kettle on and don't even think about travelling to the DRC due to the armed gangs, the rape and an outbreak of ebola.

I wonder who these Brits are - I am putting a guess on public sector workers... teachers or some kinds of academics? Fans of Sigourney Weaver?

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

So two Brits have been kidnapped, and a ranger murdered, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo whilst travelling to look at the gorillas.

Having a read of the Foreign Office travel advisory it basically says stay at home, put the kettle on and don't even think about travelling to the DRC due to the armed gangs, the rape and an outbreak of ebola.

I wonder who these Brits are - I am putting a guess on public sector workers... teachers or some kinds of academics? Fans of Sigourney Weaver?

naive idiots would be my guess 

Just now, One percent said:

naive idiots would be my guess 

I was thinking more of stubborn, opinionated after readingthe FO travel warnings. For some reason my mind was filled with all the teachers and academics I know who have no commonsense but whom think that they are smarter than the rest of us. Oh yes, idiots.

Just now, NTB said:

Shouldn't this be in the Darwin Awards thread?:)

Bit too early for that isn't it? I mean, we don't know whether they have any off-spring.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I was thinking more of stubborn, opinionated after readingthe FO travel warnings. For some reason my mind was filled with all the teachers and academics I know who have no commonsense but whom think that they are smarter than the rest of us. Oh yes, idiots.

Bit too early for that isn't it? I mean, we don't know whether they have any off-spring.

A fair point. If they do and they are old enough to travel, we should perhaps also wait to see if they travel over there to forgive their parents' killers...

1 minute ago, NTB said:

A fair point. If they do and they are old enough to travel, we should perhaps also wait to see if they travel over there to forgive their parents' killers...

Yes, and double check whether there are any canoes involved.

5 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I thought reading the thread title this was going to be about

I did it to lure in people for that very reason - and it worked. Right, back to developing my Time Machine.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

you really don't need to go as far as this to find idiots...

Dutch safari park is far enough.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5717019/Family-chased-cheetahs-getting-car-Dutch-safari-park.html

I read that this morning. Saw that they were French and did not need to read any further. Macron will probably be demanding that the cheetahs are given refugee status in Paris - and most of France will probably agree.

6 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I'd question the wisdom of anyone travelling half the globe to get to a warzone in a failed state to look at a monkey.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Especially when you can spend your devalued pound at a UK venue.

British pounds for British Gorillas!

http://www.gorillas.co.uk/5-best-places-to-see-gorillas-in-the-uk/

Tbh, half of me type of admires people that ignore advice and do something stupid. I can't help thinking back in WW2 they'd be the type to join the SAS or something.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, half of me type of admires people that ignore advice and do something stupid. I can't help thinking back in WW2 they'd be the type to join the SAS or something.

I have a secret respect for smokers: you're only here a short time so enjoy it and do what you want.

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I know a (rich, boomer, BTLer) couple who went to the Congo to see the gorillas. They'd been everywhere else including Rwanda, Iran and Papua New Guinea, so it was basically the last place in the world they hadn't been. Nice place apparently, verdant. 

14 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

I know a (rich, boomer, BTLer) couple who went to the Congo to see the gorillas. They'd been everywhere else including Rwanda, Iran and Papua New Guinea, so it was basically the last place in the world they hadn't been. Nice place apparently, verdant. 

Iran is fine. People friendly just a shame is run by religious nutters.

PNG is hell on earth.

27 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

PNG is hell on earth.

Everyone who's been to Iran says the same, Saudi on the other hand... 

1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

PNG is hell on earth.

The problem with Papua New Guinea is basically in evolutionary terms they're barely out of loin cloths, if at all, but it's probably wacist to say it.

10 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I'd question the wisdom of anyone travelling half the globe to get to a warzone in a failed state to look at a monkey.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Wouldnt it be easier to go to the local zoo?

10 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

PNG is hell on earth.

The Ross kemp visit to there was pretty intense. He has some balls that was one tense initial encounter.