• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Check your rich middle class privilege and stop buying pencil cases

It was lefties that decided years ago that uniforms were discriminatory.  the poor parents were put to considerable hardship to buy the overpriced, monopoly shop sold kit.

full circle has arrived.   no choice, then full choice, its all evil according to the left.

28 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

How much does a sodding pencil case cost? I'm guessing less than a packet of cigs or am I way out of touch like our MPs?

You've obviously never shopped in Smiggle.

Even there it’s about £15 for a top of the range pencil case.

I’m pretty sure kids judge relative affluence by the parent’s house and cars rather than pencil cases. My kids have never displayed any interest in pencil cases, let alone considered them status symbols.

My mum used to make my pencil cases herself out of scrap material; I liked them and still have them.

We weren't poor, I liked that they were unique.  I don't recall anyone comparing pencil cases.

What a load of nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My mum used to make my pencil cases herself out of scrap material; I liked them and still have them.

We weren't poor, I liked that they were unique.  I don't recall anyone comparing pencil cases.

What a load of nonsense.

I had the fluffy ones from woollies . :)

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What a load of nonsense.

Well, she had to do something with the waste asbestos.

The teacher in the photo at the top of the article looks like a looney. First impression on my first comment.....she may be a great person!

Instead of whining about poverty, pencil cases etc IMO she’d be much better looking at the bigger picture and campaigning for a decent pay rate for a days work relative to current living expenses for all without reliance on benefits or a top up!

Edited by Economic Exile

17 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Careful. I wouldn't want to have to start questioning your split infinitives.

xD  actually, a genuine question. I would always use which but I have noticed a trend for that to be used where I would have normally used which. 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

xD  actually, a genuine question. I would always use which but I have noticed a trend for that to be used where I would have normally used which. 

Technically I believe 'which' to be correct, but in the above instance 'that' doesn't in any way change the meaning of the sentence so is acceptable.

Sometimes correct grammar doesn't always come across well.

When one of my clients signs off a proof, I normally reply saying that 'I shall get production underway'. Which is correct. But somehow saying 'I will get production underway' sounds less pompous.

Edited by Cunning Plan

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Technically I believe 'which' to be correct, but in the above instance 'that' doesn't in any way change the meaning of the sentence so is acceptable.

When one of my clients signs off a proof, I normally reply saying that 'I shall get production underway'. Which is correct. But somehow saying 'I will get production underway' sounds less pompous.

Ta.  The which/that thing annoys me though as I remember the lessons where it was drummed into us. 

Never, ever pass up the opportunity to sound pompous. o.O

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ta.  The which/that thing annoys me though as I remember the lessons where it was drummed into us. 

Never, ever pass up the opportunity to sound pompous. o.O

Since the medication has started to work, I only really get wound up with hanged/hung and less/fewer but I am working on it.

Oh, and Union Jack, obviously, but that will never become acceptable.

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Since the medication has started to work, I only really get wound up with hanged/hung and less/fewer but I am working on it.

Less fewer still confuses me, I have to look it up every time. 

52 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

We all had pencil boxes that we made in woodwork.

I think it is called resistant materials now.

17 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Isn't the salient factor whether the omission of a restrictive clause introduced by THAT would change the meaning of the sentence?

So, surely THAT is correct because removing the restrictive clause would change the information in the full sentence.

Interestingly - or maybe not - English as spoken in the UK is much less prescriptive about THAT and WHICH and it's unusual for anyone to get picked up on it. American English is, for once, much more traditional and unforgiving of restrictive clause transgressions.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Just get rid of those commas before co-ordinating conjunctions and you'll be good to go.  :Old:

4 minutes ago, Duck said:

Isn't the salient factor whether the omission of a restrictive clause introduced by THAT would change the meaning of the sentence?

So, surely THAT is correct because removing the restrictive clause would change the information in the full sentence.

Interestingly - or maybe not - English as spoken in the UK is much less prescriptive about THAT and WHICH and it's unusual for anyone to get picked up on it. American English is, for once, much more traditional and unforgiving of restrictive clause transgressions.

Just get rid of those commas before co-ordinating conjunctions and you'll be good to go.  :Old:

Bloody hell, don’t be frightened about wading into the pedant discussions. xDo.O

52 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I would say "I'll get production underway".  Quicker, more efficient and can mean either.

BTW I always wanted a pencil case, but we were too poor. Never had one.

I used to use "which" but the grammar checker in Word always highlights it and suggests changing to "that". Now you've explained that I was correct I shall revert to using "which",  Thnx

Edited by sleepwello'nights
added which that

2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I would say "I'll get production underway".  Quicker, more efficient and can mean either.

BTW I always wanted a pencil case, but we were too poor. Never had one.

How did you transport the lead in your pencils?  o.O