• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Apple

Fresh water swimming - Good locations in Spain?

Got a superb tip off of El Chorro a few years back on ToS for freshwater swimming (We've now been back twice!). Any recommendations for places similar but different (new sights, difference scenery when we're not splashing about...), possibly a different area of Spain entirely? Prefer to not be peak tourist type locations, but not backwaters either :)

Would prefer Spain due to proximity/cost/ease...

1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Eww. Hope not.

Only been swimming in the lakes. Seen plenty of fish, but not cat fish.

Heres a tiddler I caught in the Ebro a few years back

catfish.jpg

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Who’s the bloke in the white tea shirt holding you?  

The one who feels like he is the star attraction in a Bukkake contest* after handling that thing?

*I would guess.

Can confirm that catfish are disgusting things to handle, almost as bad as an eel,never caught a big one though. For the OP, while the Ebro is where the  biggest Wels catfish are (both those pics well short of current record of about 300lb, mouth as big as a dustbin lid and 3m long) they are present and grow pretty big throughout Spain, any lake with plenty of fish prey is likely to have them. 

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

That was in 2010. We had a guide and all the catfish were released. 

IIRC they have always been classed as an invasive species,a mate of mine used to guide over there may well still be i have not seen him for a few years  

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

IIRC they have always been classed as an invasive species,a mate of mine used to guide over there may well still be i have not seen him for a few years  

Catfishing is big business on the Ebro and a major Euro earner for this inland villages which still look like they were heavily shelled in the Spanish Civil War

31 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Catfishing is big business on the Ebro and a major Euro earner for this inland villages which still look like they were heavily shelled in the Spanish Civil War

Yes it is an earner but it`s illegal to return the fish just like Carp in Australia how many people actually abides by it though is a different matter  

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

Yes it is an earner but it`s illegal to return the fish just like Carp in Australia how many people actually abides by it though is a different matter  

I wasn't aware - they can prosecute the Guides. 

I heard that the Catfish had basically wiped out the European pike (which had been the apex predator)

Edited by Kurt Barlow
addition