• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
M S E Refugee

EU to put luvvies out of work

Oh. I hoped this was going to be the B B C.

Surely if they're going to introduce disruptive legislation, it's not beyond precedent that there might be a scrappage scheme? I would also guess LED lights would be up to the job, and perhaps not more cripplingly expensive than replacing a huge incandescent bulb which will pop now and again anyway?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

https://news.sky.com/story/british-theatres-under-threat-from-eu-plans-to-ban-lighting-11368603

What a heartwarming story this is,I wonder what Emma Thompson,Branagh and co think of this EU legislation.

Fuck 'em. Let 'em burn, or rather not burn that is.

Bullshit to the notion that they don't use much energy as the lights are only on a few hours per day. I only use my hoover for a few minutes a day but that didn't stop the EU's pointless fucking stupidity. No, the luvvies can suffer too.

Anyway, studio lights are bloody wasteful - the amount of heat they generate is incredible. They must cost a fortune to run.

Edited by the gardener

I noted recently that 10% of all global emissions are caused by the travel industry.  IMO the EU should just ban holidays.

8 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Fuck 'em. Let 'em burn, or rather not burn that is.

Bullshit to the notion that they don't use much energy as the lights are only on a few hours per day. I only use my hoover for a few minutes a day but that didn't stop the EU's pointless fucking stupidity. No, the luvvies can suffer too.

Anyway, studio lights are bloody wasteful - the amount of heat they generate is incredible. They must cost a fortune to run.

It will be all the dimming controls up the chute - you can't just apply a variable voltage to an LED bulb and most require a constant current source / current limited source, what may fist look like a simple bulb swap ends up replacing the whole unit. 

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

It will be all the dimming controls up the chute - you can't just apply a variable voltage to an LED bulb and most require a constant current source / current limited source, what may fist look like a simple bulb swap ends up replacing the whole unit. 

Don't care. Buy new.

Posted (edited)

Oh dear. What a pity. Never mind.

They don't like it up them.

etc

ETA so, are we now going to see the luvvies campaighning for Brexit means Brexit in order to escape this not so new but now being applied to them rule?

Edited by Melchett

The West End ones can suck it up, but its all the small town theatres run by volunteers on a shoestring who are having to fundraise for this.

It's not really luvvies being hit; it's Joe and Josephine Amdram. 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The West End ones can suck it up, but its all the small town theatres run by volunteers on a shoestring who are having to fundraise for this.

It's not really luvvies being hit; it's Joe and Josephine Amdram. 

True, nods sagely but still unable to stop smirking.

Posted (edited)

It is estimated the cost of updating older fixtures in venues across the UK could run into billions.

That's one of the reasons why businesses and their crony politicians just love the eu.  Not to mention the bankers.

Edited by twocents

MEP for London, Seb Dance, will be bringing up campaigners' concerns with the Commission.

He said: "I'm convinced this isn't an intention of the proposals, that it's an unforeseen circumstances and this is the reason why you have consultation period. I will be writing to them and I will be seeking meetings with them."

He said Britain's EU exit is unlikely to make things any easier.

"This is one of the things about Brexit, we'll still be subject to the rules of the European Union but we won't have any say over them.

If that's true then it's a totally dishonest exit and Brexit.

41 minutes ago, twocents said:

It's a fallacious argument anyway, you get outvoted anyway, there have been hundreds of thousands of pages of legislation passed and the amount of actual control over the entirety of it is pretty much zero a few minor amendments make no overall difference to the bulk of the legislation. 

44 minutes ago, twocents said:

This is an MEP talking; like Kinnock this morning he is desperately trying to cling onto his gravy train and will tell any lie to do it.

Of course we don't have to follow EU rules; does China, does the US?

We may choose to implement their product standards to be able to apply the CE mark but it's our choice if we wish to do that.  As it is the US's and China's choice.

9 hours ago, onlyme said:

And those hugely expensive lighting control desks will presumably also need to be replaced. I did a bit of theatre lighting back in the day and this sounds like it would result in a total refit end to end. Most small theatres would be absolutely fucked if that happened - all the kit they’ve built up incrementally over decades would have to replaced in one go.

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is an MEP talking; like Kinnock this morning he is desperately trying to cling onto his gravy train and will tell any lie to do it.

Of course we don't have to follow EU rules; does China, does the US?

We may choose to implement their product standards to be able to apply the CE mark but it's our choice if we wish to do that.  As it is the US's and China's choice.

We'll still want to be members of EU agencies such as EASA

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86832

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Fine, cherry picking those associations that are actually of advantage to us makes great good sense.

We'll still be following EU rules though, will little or no say on how those rules are created.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Like now.

That's pretty accurate...The EU bastardise global regulations and they put a shiny EU stamp on it..

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I find this sort of thing extremely worrying.  Before the Brexit vote I considered the EU to be a hegemonic bureaucratic nightmare, but not actually malicious.  But once we decided to leave their true nature became very apparent.  There is no way we should be within an organisation that is so petty, so driven to destroy anything that disagrees with it.  This isn't like a divorce, it is like leaving a cult, where it is only on leaving the gate that you realise that the cult leadership are all psychopaths.

Imagine the Commonwealth.  If Canada (or whatever) decided to leave we'd say 'that's a shame' and then work with Canada to ensure a seamless transition into their new state.  Not the EU.  They could say 'we have to worry about EASA -- we'll set up a 5 year transitional period, with scope to extend'.  But no, it is used as a weapon to try to destroy us.

They're a complete nightmare.

I think people have very short memories when it comes to the reality of war.

You compromise, you accommodate, you do not walk into the horror of war.

The EU just would; it is so undemocratic that war with Russia would be "So what?".

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dgul said:

I find this sort of thing extremely worrying.  Before the Brexit vote I considered the EU to be a hegemonic bureaucratic nightmare, but not actually malicious.  But once we decided to leave their true nature became very apparent.  There is no way we should be within an organisation that is so petty, so driven to destroy anything that disagrees with it.  This isn't like a divorce, it is like leaving a cult, where it is only on leaving the gate that you realise that the cult leadership are all psychopaths.

Imagine the Commonwealth.  If Canada (or whatever) decided to leave we'd say 'that's a shame' and then work with Canada to ensure a seamless transition into their new state.  Not the EU.  They could say 'we have to worry about EASA -- we'll set up a 5 year transitional period, with scope to extend'.  But no, it is used as a weapon to try to destroy us.

They're a complete nightmare.

Before this turning into another Brexit thread...What does the UK want?  An FTA would make the UK a subservient of the EU until the EU dies..  That's why I see the only sane way out of this is Flexcit...I have yet to see another comprehensive plan that may work..

Go and look at the 59 stakeholders notices that the EU have issued for vital industries.  Interesting stuff..The EU are working to a model that involves the UK being outside the single market.

Edited by Dave Beans