• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Why were they even here?

the So-Called BBC / Grauniad, or suchlike had a story on about a nurse from Kenya who has had to send two of her children home since they were being asked for £200 per person, per year of her contact as a nurse in the NHS. The article was about how awful this rule is, how it's tearing apart families (actually that would be the Asian gyno who literally tore a baby's head off - just where the fuck do these people train?). Anyway, we in the UK literally devour babies because we've introduced a measley, token £200pp charge to cover NHS use (which is about a 20th of the actual cost)

This charge was so high (£3600 IIRC) that this nurse has had to send two of her four children back home. WTAF were they doing here (and the husband)? Who is paying the £5-6 k per year (£20-24k) school costs for them? The UK wants to employ you, not your whole frigging family. Fuck off already. We should only take young, single, childless nurses. Well actually we should train our own. What flipping benefit is it to the UK to ship in a (poorly-trained) nurse from Kenya and allow her to bring her whole fucking family at our expense.

I'm glad two of them have gone home. The rest of you can fuck off too.

/<Alf Garnett rant>

That is all. I'm off to shout obscenities in the forest where the neighbours can't hear.

It's like tax credits for 16hr week workers.

The employer, in this case the NHS, wants a cheap worker.

They get their cheap worker but the taxpayer then picks up the tab for housing and schooling their family whilst here.

If the NHS had to pay the real cost of this immigrant labour then we might actually do something about training more of our own health staff; and dispense with that ludicrous self-funded degree requirement for nurses.

There is a massive shortage of doctors, nurses and midwives in Kenya.  This shortage has occurred specifically because of the post-colonial racism inherent in the 'import NHS staff from overseas rather than invest in training' policy of successive UK (and other EU) governments over the last 20 years or so.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

There is a massive shortage of doctors, nurses and midwives in Kenya.  This shortage has occurred specifically because of the post-colonial racism inherent in the 'import NHS staff from overseas rather than invest in training' policy of successive UK (and other EU) governments over the last 20 years or so.

We should stop abusing our privilege as a rich (haha) country, outbidding hospitals in poorer countries and stealing their trained workers. Said no SJW ever.

Edit - Typo

Edited by Kilham

7 minutes ago, Kilham said:

We should stop abusing our privilege as a rich (haha) country, outbidding hospitals in poorer countries and stealing their trained workers. Said no SJW ever.

Edit - Typo

Alternatively we can send our students over to Kenya to receive the training. We don't have to pay for schooling four kids, plus housing them etc, Kenya gets some useful income from training the nurses and the student gets a 3-4 year holiday in a warm and sunny part of the world. Half of them might not even come back so we might need to send some extra.

Its a win-win situation all round.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Frank Hovis
      Anyone who watched Eggheads before 2016 will remember him.  I confess I could find him irritating but he brought something different to a programme that coudl be a bit staid.

In 2016 he was accused of sexual assault, which the story records as being "false" rather than his merely being acquited.
      However on the basis of this false allegation he was sacked by the So-Called BBC from his main source and went bankrupt in 2018.

He has AIDS for thirty years and now thinks that the stress of the legal cases, bankruptcy, and potnetially becoming homeless on top of the disease means he feels he hasn't long left. 
      Bankruptcy
      https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8538692/former-eggheads-star-cj-de-mooi-could-be-made-homeless-after-murder-extradition-battle-leaves-him-bankrupt/
      Today's story.
      https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8910773/eggheads-cj-de-mooi-dying-aids-homeless/

This is shocking treatment by your caring Auntie Beeb.  Potentially an employer would suspend you whilst the case was ongoing, for both their benefit and yours, but who fires you on the day you are exonerated? 
      They are an absolute shower of self-serving bastards so here is another reason to refuse to pay the licence fee.

On a different issue I hadn't known that he was also very good at chess and also a proper actor.  This however caught my eye; I don't think even Sepp Blatter behaved like ths:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJ_de_Mooi

• By Frank Hovis
      A good news story for a change.  Whilst of course cancelling doesn't necessarily equate to a permanent opt out, as is the case for the moe discerning DOSBODders like @JoeDavola, @Harley and, well modesty prevents, some of these will be that and that looks like the obvious reason for the upward trend - in a world of on-demand streaming who needs a licence?
      So how many don't pay the television tax?
      Well the figure quoted below is 25.8m licences.
      Per the ONS there were 27.2m housholds in the UK in 2017 https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2017
      The best estimate I can find for over 75 licence housholds, so currently free, is a fifth of licences.  But I'm not linking to it as it was in the guardian. Say 5.2m.
      So that adds up to:
      27.2m households 1.4m without a licence - 5% 5.2m with a free licence - 19% 20.6m with a paid for licence - 76% And they're losing them from that 76%; nobody with a free licence is likely to just give it up.
      It used to be that the ONS didn't even collect data on TV licence holding as so few didn't have them.
      The charming threatening letters I get from the TV licensing people used to quote the number of households with licences but have ceased to do that as the number is falling.
      5% withouta licence is significant and that figure is only going to go one way as the current crop of schoolkids rarerly watch TV.
      Hurrah!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6660177/Netflix-effect-sees-nearly-MILLION-Britons-cancel-TV-licence-year.html
    • By Fischer
      Surprised no thread on this (can't see one).
      WARNING. Webpage below contains picture of Diane Abott.
      https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44995171
      Who's going to decide what a troll is.
      Very dangerous.
      People who have not been convicted of any offence could be barred from office (eg Watson, Arkaad)