• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Mexico round-the-world cyclists were murdered

Posted (edited)

Mexico says round-the-world cyclists were murdered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-44094868

Mexican investigators say two European cyclists did not die in an accident as first claimed - they were murdered.

The bodies of Holger Hagenbusch, from Germany, and Krzysztof Chmielewski, from Poland, were found at the bottom of a cliff in Chiapas state.

Local authorities had said the pair appeared to have fallen after losing control.

However, relatives and fellow cyclists suspected it was more sinister, and had called for a deeper investigation. 

The newly appointed special prosecutor, Luis Alberto Sánchez, said, on Friday, that they were killed in what appears to have been a robbery. 

"Our investigations up to now indicate this was an intentional homicide," he said.

What happened? 

Chmielewski's body was found first, 40 metres below the road, on 26 April. 

Hagenbusch was found eight days later - on 4 May - further down the ravine, but beneath the same road that runs between Ocosingo and San Cristóbal de las Casas in the country's far south. 

The regional attorney general in Chiapas, Arturo Pablo Lievano, originally said there was no evidence of bad intent and everything pointed to an accident. He said they may have been run off the road by a vehicle. 

However, Hagenbusch's brother, Reiner, told the German press he believed they had been killed and there had been some sort of attempted cover-up. 

After travelling to Mexico to identify his brother's body, he also found out information about the Polish biker. 

"The Polish cyclist was decapitated and had a foot missing," he wrote on Facebook.

Who were the cyclists? 

Krzysztof Chmielewski, 37, was a Polish citizen and had been travelling the world by bike for three years. 

He had visited 51 countries and in the last year he had been to Canada and the US, before arriving in Mexico. He was planning to continue south all the way to Argentina, and had almost made it to Guatemala when he was killed. 

Holger Hagenbusch, a 43-year-old German, was also an experienced cyclist. He had been to 34 countries and had been travelling by bike for four years, according to his blog. 

The pair had not set out together, but their paths had crossed in Chiapas. 

Mr Sánchez told the So-Called BBC: "We think that they were travelling short distance from each other, maybe one was assaulted first ... and then the second one arrived and they were both captured." 

Map of southern Mexico, showing Chiapas state

He said some of their belongings were missing.

"It was very premature to call this an accident. The bike [belonging to the German] did not show signs of having been in a traffic accident," he added.

----

Another hapless pair who thought the world was full of nice people.

Edited by WorkingPoor

Posted (edited)

Feel sorry for these guys. What a shit way to go.

Mexico does seem to be setting the low bar for viciousness. I've read some stories from there that would make an ISIS contingency stand up and applaud. Really heinous shit.

Like Africa, it's not somewhere I've ever had the remotest interest in visiting. It's certainly not somewhere to just amble about.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Feel sorry for these guys. What a shit way to go.

Mexico does seem to be setting the low bar for viciousness. I've read some stories from there that would make an ISIS contingency stand up and applaud. Really heinous shit.

Like Africa, it's not somewhere I've ever had the remotest interest in visiting. It's certainly not somewhere to just amble about.

Heavy drug use.

Whenever there is a really nasty cruel crime committed in this country read on and you will find the criminal is a heavy drug user every time.

I always wonder what type of people can take years out their life to travel the world like that. On one hand I'm jealous but on the other I'd imagine spending years with no fixed abode living on 50 pence a day (I assume) would be crap after a while.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I always wonder what type of people can take years out their life to travel the world like that. On one hand I'm jealous but on the other I'd imagine spending years with no fixed abode living on 50 pence a day (I assume) would be crap after a while.

It would be an unforgettable experience.

If that is what you want to do then there are jobs where, once experienced in them, you can walk out of one, do your trip, and walk into another one on your return.

Care worker, chefs (not the celebrity ones though) and kitchen staff spring to mind.

The chef I know has done similar and has always had brilliant hobbies because he puts them either on a par with or above his work.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Heavy drug use.

Whenever there is a really nasty cruel crime committed in this country read on and you will find the criminal is a heavy drug user every time.

I think Mexico is slightly different (but only slightly) in that it's the cartels asserting their dominance rather than the behaviour of a few wasted junkies.

Absolute animals by the sound of it.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

If you want a real eye opener Google "Mexico drug deaths" and look at the images.... It's not for the squeamish....

Tbh, maybe we should change our drugs policy from going after the dealers to going for the users. As it is if a drug dealer is jailed there's plenty more that will take his place. Start locking up users and watch the drugs industry collapse.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

If you want a real eye opener Google "Mexico drug deaths" and look at the images.... It's not for the squeamish....

Tbh, maybe we should change our drugs policy from going after the dealers to going for the users. As it is if a drug dealer is jailed there's plenty more that will take his place. Start locking up users and watch the drugs industry collapse.

I agree with the principle that that's the way to halt the trade but you'd have to build whole new institutions for the users rather than just locking them up.

Firstly because the prisons arev awash with drugs.  It was a few years ago but two ex-addicts walked out of an open prison near Gloucester because it was awash with drugs and went to a police station demanding to be locked up in a more secure prison because they wanted to get off drugs.

Secondly users aren't necessarily criminals unless you view drug use as a criminal offence in of itself.  So you would need newly built secure hospitals to get them off the stuff rather than prisons.

Drugs are incredibly rife in pockets down here, I knew a couple who's lodger (a mate, worked in a pub) had a daily coke delivery.  He had a degree (from the days when this wasn't commonplace) but his ambition was to keep enough money coming in to buy his daily coke and then he was happy.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with the principle that that's the way to halt the trade but you'd have to build whole new institutions for the users rather than just locking them up.

Firstly because the prisons arev awash with drugs.  It was a few years ago but two ex-addicts walked out of an open prison near Gloucester because it was awash with drugs and went to a police station demanding to be locked up in a more secure prison because they wanted to get off drugs.

Secondly users aren't necessarily criminals unless you view drug use as a criminal offence in of itself.  So you would need newly built secure hospitals to get them off the stuff rather than prisons.

Drugs are incredibly rife in pockets down here, I knew a couple who's lodger (a mate, worked in a pub) had a daily coke delivery.  He had a degree (from the days when this wasn't commonplace) but his ambition was to keep enough money coming in to buy his daily coke and then he was happy.

Maybe just legalise drugs then? Drugs like alcohol are legal and most people can use it sensibly. It strikes me that legalising drugs would prevent a lot of crime. 

I wonder how many people in the UK have smoked cannabis at some point? Over half?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with the principle that that's the way to halt the trade but you'd have to build whole 

Coke was absolutely rampant in the twee little Cotswold town I used to live in. I think it made the news at one point. 

I know all the landlords used to spray the tops of the bog cisterns with WD40 to stop people snorting lines off them. I once watched a guy in a pub call his dealer for a few grams of charlie, the dealer rocked up about half an hour later, an Asian bloke in his twenties, driving a jag and decked out in full tweed + flat cap. I just about pissed myself. It was the Daylesford Organics of drug dealing.

Some of the groundskeepers/staff on the bigger estates had some stories to tell. When the big parties happened there, it would be brought in by the barrowload....amongst other varied vices.

The posh town near me at the moment has been recently declared as having a major coke problem too. In all honesty, I'm not that arsed. Coke tends to stay behind closed doors. Heroin, on the other hand, creates desperate zombies who'll kick in my door looking to finance their fix. 

If it came down to it, I'd rather live next to the cokeheads than a bunch of junkies any day of the week.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

Maybe just legalise drugs then? Drugs like alcohol are legal and most people can use it sensibly. It strikes me that legalising drugs would prevent a lot of crime. 

I wonder how many people in the UK have smoked cannabis at some point? Over half?

Thst wouldn't however stop my earlier point about the horrendous crimes committed by heavy drug users.

This one was found guilty this week, in Marazion (right next to Penzance), runaways from the north, both heavy drug users.  He bludgeons her to death and cuts up her body.  No obvious reason bar being out of his head on drugs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-44053058

There are lots of people now whose living comes from writing blogs / books on how to cycler around the world. When you start reading them it is easy to get wrapped up in things and before you know it you are cycling down the Andes.

Lots of cycle forums / blogs about this kind of thingtalk about security, blending in - trying to make you bikes, clothing, panniers, look old and knackered as opposed to bright colours and attracting attention. A problem with so many countries is that you can be cycling down a road and some bad people pass you in a vehicle and you just stick out as a stranger, especially if the area has little in the way of leisure cycling.

I suspect more and more parts of Europe, adn eventually the UK, will end up like places like Mexico in the decades to come.

Posted (edited)

I think one of the pair was getting robbed & killed and the other rode up on the scene.......so he copped it too. 

Must be a popular thing as these two didnt set out together they met en route

Edited by WorkingPoor

2 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

I think one of the pair was getting robbed & killed and the other rode up on the scene.......so he copped it too. 

I would guess the one who saw it probably rode up to "help" tackle the robbers.  He was shot for threatening them,  the victim then had to be shot to avoid any witnesses.

If you are unlucky enough to get robbed somewhere like this,  just hand over some money and walk away.  That's what the locals do. I have a friend who's car was hyjacked at some traffic lights..  he just gave them the keys and walked away.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I would guess the one who saw it probably rode up to "help" tackle the robbers.  He was shot for threatening them,  the victim then had to be shot to avoid any witnesses.

If you are unlucky enough to get robbed somewhere like this,  just hand over some money and walk away.  That's what the locals do. I have a friend who's car was hyjacked at some traffic lights..  he just gave them the keys and walked away.  

I expect their bikes and gear meant alot to them, pretty much everything in fact if they had been living on the road with them for the last 3 years.

Edited by WorkingPoor

56 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I have a friend who's car was hyjacked at some traffic lights..  he just gave them the keys and walked away.  

I have  a friend whose car was hijacked at traffic lights and the criminal shot him in the head to make sure there were no witnesses. I'm not sure criminals have that much of a moral code.

Posted (edited)

The bodies were mutilated (decapitation and foot missing etc)

I wonder if it was an human organ robbery? 

Then made to look like an accident by dumping the wrong bodies with the wrong bikes?

2 very fit blokes, they might have been held for days?

Alot of illegal human organ trade goes on down the americas

Edited by WorkingPoor

Posted (edited)

I know it's hinted at in the article but I don't think you can be absolutely certain that they were travelling together in convoy as it were - although the apparent mix up with the bike suggests they were together.  It's just possible that they're two entirely separate incidents with some time between them.

Talking to BBC Mundo, Mr Sánchez said the assailants were probably trying to cover their tracks. "Those that did this wanted to make it appear like an accident, so they put the bike there, but they made a mistake and used the German's bike," he said.

It could just be a fluke that they ended up where they did after being thrown off the cliff into the ravine.

Edited by twocents

The crime has outraged a country fed up with adding figures of deaths in the most violent states of the north, but not accustomed to something similar happening in the south. In Chiapas, it is not as common for such a brutal murder to happen as in areas where there is a strong presence of organized crime, as, for example, in Tamaulipas . And many Mexicans wonder if there is any place in the country that escapes the terror of violence. 

https://elpais.com/internacional/2018/05/11/mexico/1526067505_562752.html

Chiapas isn't really organised crime central of Mexico..  but it is poor.  I'm pretty sure this is just a robbery gone wrong.   Time might tell.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thst wouldn't however stop my earlier point about the horrendous crimes committed by heavy drug users.

This one was found guilty this week, in Marazion (right next to Penzance), runaways from the north, both heavy drug users.  He bludgeons her to death and cuts up her body.  No obvious reason bar being out of his head on drugs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-44053058

Jesus wept. Has there been any reporting of what specific drugs he was taking?