• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

People going missing - national?

Every couple of weeks for the last few months there have been appeals locally (Cornwall) for missing people, often described as vulnerable or high risk.  These are of course something that has always happened but the frequency has shot up.  In a sadly high number of cases it is ending with a body being found.

I don't have any inside track on this but I do know that Adult Social Care provision has been repeatedly chopped since about 2010 and wondered if this is the result.

So going from care in institutions to care in the community to you're on your own matey.

Owing to its geographical location Cornwall, and in particular Penzance being at the end of the railway line, draws in troubled runaways from elsewhere in the country so there is going to be a bias above the national average but I wondered if this is being repeated elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Every couple of weeks for the last few months there have been appeals locally (Cornwall) for missing people, often described as vulnerable or high risk.  These are of course something that has always happened but the frequency has shot up.  In a sadly high number of cases it is ending with a body being found.

I don't have any inside track on this but I do know that Adult Social Care provision has been repeatedly chopped since about 2010 and wondered if this is the result.

So going from care in institutions to care in the community to you're on your own matey.

Owing to its geographical location Cornwall, and in particular Penzance being at the end of the railway line, draws in troubled runaways from elsewhere in the country so there is going to be a bias above the national average but I wondered if this is being repeated elsewhere.

I think it's more common than is let on, especially in areas of natural beauty. People at the end of the line (literally and metaphorically) seem to gravitate towards them. A mountain rescue guy I spoke to said that plucking OD'd corpses off mountains wasn't unheard of.

About six months ago, while walking through a forest, I think I came across a bottled suicide attempt. I went for a piss just off the path and in a little clearing was a quarter-full bottle of vodka, packet of smokes, some prescription sedative scattered about the place and - most tellingly- a noose looped over a low branch.

Whoever it was, clearly had a change of heart - thankfully- for them and me. That's not what I would have wanted to stumble upon on a cold, misty morning in a lonely forest.