• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Places you'd like to visit

I wouldn't mind going the "Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan. Seeming back in the soviet period a drilling rig was drilling and it caused the ground to cave in and a massive amount of gas was released. The natural gas has been burning for 40 years...

The hole is 230 foot across...

image.png

It may sound parochial but genuinely Spurn Head and the Holderness coast.

The way the whole coastline is dynamic with great swathes of land falling into the sea and continually reshaping Spurn Head is something I would like to wander up and down and see in action.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Iran to see all the pre-islamic stuff.

That "Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan - presumably lots of people died when that happened?

Iran appeals to me as well.

I can't see any evidence of deaths at the Gates of Hell. It's possible the drilling crew were on a tea break when it collapsed. The towns are a fair distance so the gas didn't effect them.

Seemingly they set the gas alight and expected it to go out in a few weeks.

It looks interesting to me but I expect the rest of Turkmnitsan doesn't have many tourist attractions...

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Iran appeals to me as well.

I can't see any evidence of deaths at the Gates of Hell. It's possible the drilling crew were on a tea break when it collapsed. The towns are a fair distance so the gas didn't effect them.

Seemingly they set the gas alight and expected it to go out in a few weeks.

It looks interesting to me but I expect the rest of Turkmnitsan doesn't have many tourist attractions...

The lack of tourist attractions is what would probably make Turkmenistan a superb place to visit.

24 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I wouldn't mind going the "Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan. Seeming back in the soviet period a drilling rig was drilling and it caused the ground to cave in and a massive amount of gas was released. The natural gas has been burning for 40 years...

The hole is 230 foot across...

image.png

Surely they could concoct some sort of dome to cover it, and then extinguish the fire and start drawing the Gas.

*One suspects better (Wo)men than I may have thought about such things in the past 40 years, rather than the 40 seconds I did since reading about it.

Posted (edited)

I should like to visit a barber,

'Life is full of disappointments,

Each day is full of care,

For in spite of using ointments,

I have lost all my hair. (Wipers Times 1917)

Edited by Byron

1 hour ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I plan on venturing outside of YORKSHIRE one day.

I wouldn’t bother. Nothing comes close to gods own. 

12 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Crossness sewage pumping station.

Crossness_Pumping_Station,_Belvedere,_Ke

The man at the back is a Turd Wrangler. They always wear bowler hats.

Is it @MrPin

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

The way the whole coastline is dynamic with great swathes of land falling into the sea and continually reshaping Spurn Head is something I would like to wander up and down and see in action.

Don’t get too adventurous and in the thick of nature’s actions FH. We wouldn’t like to lose one of our favourite prolific posters while he was standing admiring nature then in an instant falling into the sea in oblivion when a cliff gives way,

17 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Crossness sewage pumping station.

Crossness_Pumping_Station,_Belvedere,_Ke

The man at the back is a Turd Wrangler. They always wear bowler hats.

Make a cracking boozer. Will kill two birds with one stone too.

Re the turd wrangling....  there’s a pub in Liverpool where the gents bogs are a tourist attraction. Honest, stop giggling at the back, I’ve been there, I understand why. Not that you’d make the trip specially to see it, not even from Birmingham or Manchester.

but places I haven’t been yet? Sadly in these modern days of enrichment the list gets shorter almost daily. Cape Wrath seems a fairly safe entry, though. And I might even take a piss if and when I finally make it there.

2 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Iran to see all the pre-islamic stuff.

That "Gates of Hell" in Turkmenistan - presumably lots of people died when that happened?

I have posted this before it  is well worth watching this  ,an alternative view from what the MSM feeds us 

Ohh, good question.

For me, The Lofoten Islands (though it's becoming an Instagram Mecca). The deep Sahara Desert, The Alaskan Wilderness, The deep Australian Outback - I'd want a gun, not for the wildlife but for the locals and Patagonia.

The common theme there is that there's no, or very, very few people. That's how I like it.

2 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Surely they could concoct some sort of dome to cover it, and then extinguish the fire and start drawing the Gas.

*One suspects better (Wo)men than I may have thought about such things in the past 40 years, rather than the 40 seconds I did since reading about it.

Probably not a goer. Check out Centralia in Pennsylvania, where someone did similar to this except it was under a large U.S town rather than the arse end of nowhere.

Didn't end too well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

You should make a long weekend out of it.

Hull has a end of the world feel about it. Spurn point more so.

Train it up.

27 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have posted this before it  is well worth watching this  ,an alternative view from what the MSM feeds us 

Iranians tend to be ok.

Iranian theocracy, which robbed the population of the revolution, are a total bunch of cunts.

Edited by spygirl

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

indeed,its not exactly a painting your hideing

Exactly. It was either bombed to dust or is at the bottom of the Baltic Sea IMO.

Big thing to just misplace.

Posted (edited)

The Amber room was in the hold of the Willheim Gustloff when it was torpedoed by a russian sub off Konigsberg east prussia whilst evacuating german civillians.

It was the biggest ever loss of life at sea and is never talked about only the pissant titanic.

Edited by WorkingPoor