• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Facebook - permanently deleting.

I have just permanently deleted my facebook account AGAIN! But I always seem to go back on it. To be honest, I don't post that much on it now and since Brexit, I can never tell people how I feel politically anyway -  but I still have people whose only communication channel with me is through Facebook. I can't be arsed telling these people that I will be coming off facebook as it makes me look like a drama Queen (and am scared that I'll just go back on it anyway which only compounds my drama Queen-ness.) Have any other DOSBODIAN'S extracted themselves from facebook successfully? I am not a total hater of facebook - I can appreciate it's merits as a marketing tool. But I just want to be free of the tentacles of Social media. To start again.

Briefly did facebook then realised it was for people with personality disorders so I left.

Edit:

Here is some justification

https://goodmenproject.com/health/is-facebook-feeding-your-personality-disorder/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/mar/17/facebook-dark-side-study-aggressive-narcissism

Edited by Chewing Grass
validation of statement about personality disorders and facebook use

I have an account but primarily for local news. Sadly this has become so politicised (you must sign this nimby protest now stuff) that I would like to log off but it appears to be the only place to get news I need (kid's school for example).

PITA. 

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have an account but primarily for local news. Sadly this has become so politicised (you must sign this nimby protest now stuff) that I would like to log off but it appears to be the only place to get news I need (kid's school for example).

PITA. 

Yup, this is how it has turned out for me. It's an SJW's dream.

6 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

Yup, this is how it has turned out for me. It's an SJW's dream.

Yes but it won't be around forever. Will probably go the same way as friends reunited.

I can but hope.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yes but it won't be around forever. Will probably go the same way as friends reunited.

I can but hope.

I don't think it will. They will just buy out the competition. Way too big now. :CryBaby:

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I can but hope.

True. A bit like Myspace too. The thing with facebook is it is highly addictive. I have deleted my account before but always went back on - there were always people who communicated with me through it. And then you always had that "why did you unfriend me" spiel from erstwhile friends. I have about 470 'friends' whom I never contact. Maybe the problem is me?

I am down to 6 friends. 2 of whom are ex girlfriends from many years ago. The rest have pissed me off with their posting or stupid likes and been unfriended.

I may need to reset my tolerance levels. 

I only have 50ish friends.  about 20% of those are for a specific interest group and I do not allow them to see anything not related to that.  I never friend anyone I work with.

It is great for finding groups of people around the world who share your interests.  And for long distant friends and family.

Anything else - balls to that.

42 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I have just permanently deleted my facebook account AGAIN! But I always seem to go back on it. To be honest, I don't post that much on it now and since Brexit, I can never tell people how I feel politically anyway -  but I still have people whose only communication channel with me is through Facebook. I can't be arsed telling these people that I will be coming off facebook as it makes me look like a drama Queen (and am scared that I'll just go back on it anyway which only compounds my drama Queen-ness.) Have any other DOSBODIAN'S extracted themselves from facebook successfully? I am not a total hater of facebook - I can appreciate it's merits as a marketing tool. But I just want to be free of the tentacles of Social media. To start again.

Don't go near it.......You can't trust it and it makes you less happy.

Get a life instead of looking at others.

2 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Don't go near it.......You can't trust it and it makes you less happy.

Get a life instead of looking at others.

Yes, you are right. It's the modern day expectation that EVERYONE should be on Facebook that I find objectionable. It's all pervasive.

You cannot leave Facebook, only deactivate your account. Even if you've never been on Facebook they have a shadow account for you which is created when people you know give Facebook access to their contacts.

I fucking love Facebook. 

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, whitevanman said:

You cannot leave Facebook, only deactivate your account. Even if you've never been on Facebook they have a shadow account for you which is created when people you know give Facebook access to their contacts.

I fucking love Facebook. 

:ph34r:

You can deactivate, yes. But you can also permanently delete your facebook account. Whether there are remnants of your account left, I don't know.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/help/224562897555674?helpref=faq_content

1 minute ago, Tabasco Kid said:

You can deactivate, yes. But you can also permanently delete your facebook account. Whether there are remnants of your account left, I don't know.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/help/224562897555674?helpref=faq_content

So how do you delete your shadow account? Along with your address, biometric details, phone number, place of work and so on. They have those details for people who've never even joined Facebook.

Better check the FAQ on Facebook help. 

Just now, whitevanman said:

So how do you delete your shadow account? Along with your address, biometric details, phone number, place of work and so on. They have those details for people who've never even joined Facebook.

Better check the FAQ on Facebook help. 

I haven't got a fucking clue mate. Never even heard of this 'shadow shit'. Maybe I'll just have to set fire to my computer? Or just disappear in a faked-death canoe trip?  Fuck knows. Google it and let me know if you come up with something.

Once you are identified on fb then it stays that way. Other account will have tagged your picture and any likes retained on 3rd party profiles, etc.,

I accept this and just leave the account dormant on only one seldom used device, leading tptb into a false sense that I am one of the most boring people ever...

25 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

I haven't got a fucking clue mate. Never even heard of this 'shadow shit'. Maybe I'll just have to set fire to my computer? Or just disappear in a faked-death canoe trip?  Fuck knows. Google it and let me know if you come up with something.

Nuke it from orbit mate.

A 1Mt device detonated 250 miles above San Francisco should be enough to wipe their servers. It'll have the added bonus of nuking your Twitter account as well.

13 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Once you are identified on fb then it stays that way. Other account will have tagged your picture and any likes retained on 3rd party profiles, etc.,

I accept this and just leave the account dormant on only one seldom used device, leading tptb into a false sense that I am one of the most boring people ever...

Did you deactivate your account or did you 'permanently delete' your account? I have permanently deleted my account. After 14 days, my account will be gone. 

18 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Nuke it from orbit mate.

A 1Mt device detonated 250 miles above San Francisco should be enough to wipe their servers. It'll have the added bonus of nuking your Twitter account as well.

Thanks mate.

11 minutes ago, Tabasco Kid said:

Did you deactivate your account or did you 'permanently delete' your account? I have permanently deleted my account. After 14 days, my account will be gone. 

I have done neither, like I said, I have relegated it to a single, seldom used device to hoodwink fb into thinking that I am just very boring.

My point was that following your 14-days, you will still exist on fb insofar as every tagged photo, like (both ways) or comment (both ways).

Am happy to be proved wrong, etc., etc.,

2 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

I have done neither, like I said, I have relegated it to a single, seldom used device to hoodwink fb into thinking that I am just very boring.

My point was that following your 14-days, you will still exist on fb insofar as every tagged photo, like (both ways) or comment (both ways).

Am happy to be proved wrong, etc., etc.,

There are two ways to 'get out of facebook' as i understand it. Regardless, of which one, I am just happy to fuck it off. There is 1. You can deactivate your account (and then return where you left off later if so desired.) And there is 2. You can permanently delete your account - I provided the link above. After 14 days, you will be gone. This is what I have done.  The point being that nobody can add me as a friend - I wont be there.

Yes. I was on it for about six years. 300 + 'friends'.

During that time I watched it go from something that was quite useful and mildly diverting to a really quite unpleasant, sneakily insidious platform for the sanctimonious, vain and downright mental.

Sure there were exceptions but it really started to become tedious. 

Breaking point was having loads of my customers coming up on my 'people you might know list'. Originally I thought it was because they searched for me but instead, the bloody program uses geolocation to track your movements, spend enough time in the vicinity of another user and bing! They appear on the list.

Fuck that.

This, alongside some of the frankly shameful toys out of the pram bollocks during brexit by people who I thought knew better, endless clickbait and fucking halfwits that thought posting pictures of dead children to illustrate their tenuous political points was somehow appropriate, was the decider for me.

Deleting it was a pain in the arse, it took about three attempts because Facebook can be tied in with other apps. If you have used Facebook to sign into things (like I had) it becomes a problem because you can't log in for nine days I think it is, otherwise the deletion countdown is reset.

Total bullshit isn't it?

Set the account to permenantly delete, a week later you log into spotify and an email pings into your account 'Welcome back to Facebook!' AAAHHHGGGGGG!!!! Fuck off bastard!

Eventually it deleted- it can take a month apparently for everything to be wiped (why!?) And I am now Facebook free and the better for it. I got Mrs Hartman to search for me through hers and, apart from my name -for fucks sake, just delete everything like I asked- I am not on there any more.

It's a hateful bit of kit, handy for some I suppose but in general it's actually quite fucked up when you really think about it. Don't miss it in the slightest. If my mates who were on there can't be arsed to fire me a text if they want a beer then they aren't really worth calling a mate.

'Orrible thing still tries though, I updated my android mobile a few weeks back. On completion and completely unrequested by me, there it was, the fucking Facebook icon sat amongst my other apps where it hadn't been previously

Bastard. :PissedOff:

Edited by Sgt Hartman

I was trying to get more memory on my phone last week so deleted Spotify and re uploaded it. Get an email saying welcome back to fb ! O.o

Adding Spotify actually re activated my fb account. What a bunch of sneaky fuckers. And shock horror - the only way i could think of to deal activate again was to go back into it. I'm sure that's their entire plan. Once you log back in you see a few things that interest you and stay on it again....

May do that permanent thing. Never knew about that.