• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

Curse of superman takes Margot Kidder

When I first saw people going on about this I couldn't quite put my finger on who she was. Which is really sad. But not half as sad as the fact that it seems to have been the undertakers who announced her death, not friends or family. She seems to have gone down a well worn path of actresses once their youth fades into failed relationships, protesting and obscurity. Hard to escape the conclusion that she'd have had a happier and more fulfilling life had she just been Margot Kidder, Nobody.

13 minutes ago, Melchett said:

When I first saw people going on about this I couldn't quite put my finger on who she was. Which is really sad. But not half as sad as the fact that it seems to have been the undertakers who announced her death, not friends or family. She seems to have gone down a well worn path of actresses once their youth fades into failed relationships, protesting and obscurity. Hard to escape the conclusion that she'd have had a happier and more fulfilling life had she just been Margot Kidder, Nobody.

I think the thing with fame is youve got make it big, so you can afford to keep the shit at arms length.

Being famous and poor seems to be the shittiest deal.

I remembered this at the time; I'm surprised she got back to some kind of normality:

In 1990 a serious car crash meant she couldn't work for two years, and she went bankrupt. In 2002 another road accident broke her pelvis. Between these bookends came 1996. As Kidder wrote her autobiography, her computer crashed, and manic depression took hold. Paranoid, convinced her first husband was out to kill her, she ran away and lived rough. To avoid being recognised she hacked her hair off and pulled out some teeth to alter her dental records. Homeless, confused, she acquired a stalker and narrowly avoided a rape attack. She was found shivering under a family's porch near the studios where Superman was shot. Police intervention saved her, and she got back on track.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2005/apr/09/culture.features

Sad times.  See was bi-polar, that along with the Hollyweird machine had a pretty shit impact on her life. :(