• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Keyless entry, a danger to the terminally stupid

Recommended Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5728073/The-deadly-carbon-monoxide-toll-keyless-cars.html

Dozens of people have been killed or suffered life-changing brain damage from carbon monoxide poisoning after failing to shut off the keyless ignition on their cars.

A new report, by the New York Times, has highlighted the dangers of keyless ignition vehicles.

It found that, since 2006, at least 28 people have died and 45 were injured after they mistakenly left the engine running in the garage, allowing their home to fill with the deadly gas. 

The elderly, many of whom has been driving for decades and are used to the loud rumble of an engine, were particularly at risk of forgetting to switch off the engines on their new, quieter cars.

 

 

o.O

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression that carbon monoxide is far less of a problem in Euro cars because of the catalytic converter. Or emissions testing meaning they are set to burn leaner. Or something.

When was the last time you heard of someone killing themselves this way in the UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My car starts beeping if you move away from it with the key fob when the engine is running, these people must be dumb as stumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dipsy said:

My car starts beeping if you move away from it with the key fob when the engine is running, these people must be dumb as stumps.

I’ve never got out of the car without switching the engine off. 

I guess with stop start technology, it is more difficult to ascertain whether it is truly off, but then a quick check....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgul said:

Keyless ignition is another one of those solutions to a problem that didn't actually exist, and which has only led to new actual real-world problems coming along.

I was sitting in a new Audi the other day while the driver nipped to the shops. The radio was blaring so I tried to turn it down. I couldn't find the volume knob. I got out and went for a stroll instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dgul said:

Keyless ignition is another one of those solutions to a problem that didn't actually exist, and which has only led to new actual real-world problems coming along.

In terms of the pace of progress, a few of the things that KITT (Knight Rider) could do back in the 1980s are indeed possible now. For example video calling.

Sadly, the really useful things like speech recognition, self-driving and being able to turbo-boost over obstacles and traffic are still just dreams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DTMark said:

In terms of the pace of progress, a few of the things that KITT (Knight Rider) could do back in the 1980s are indeed possible now. For example video calling.

Sadly, the really useful things like speech recognition, self-driving and being able to turbo-boost over obstacles and traffic are still just dreams.

I’ve got apple CarPlay in my car. The biggest pile of crap I’ve ever encountered and leaves me shaking my head and asking why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5728073/The-deadly-carbon-monoxide-toll-keyless-cars.html

Dozens of people have been killed or suffered life-changing brain damage from carbon monoxide poisoning after failing to shut off the keyless ignition on their cars.

A new report, by the New York Times, has highlighted the dangers of keyless ignition vehicles.

It found that, since 2006, at least 28 people have died and 45 were injured after they mistakenly left the engine running in the garage, allowing their home to fill with the deadly gas. 

The elderly, many of whom has been driving for decades and are used to the loud rumble of an engine, were particularly at risk of forgetting to switch off the engines on their new, quieter cars.

 

 

o.O

 

So that is less than 3 per year supposedly due to keyless ignition and the fucking media think it is a big deal.

Meanwhile hundreds of people have been murdered by 'cult' inspired lunatics in rental vans.

Fuck-off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

 

Sadly, the really useful things like ...... being able to turbo-boost over obstacles and traffic are still just dreams.

I believe that the German marques are looking at offering the Great Leap Forward pack on future models, for now straight jawed teutonic car pilots will have to make do with flashing headlights whilst driving at a hairs breadth from the rear bumper of the undermensch impeding their progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got in and started up a Toyota GT86 on the weekend. It featured stop/start and I was fully aware of when it was running ‘cause it purred like a kitten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve got apple CarPlay in my car. The biggest pile of crap I’ve ever encountered and leaves me shaking my head and asking why. 

I find everything is like that these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍

i hesitate to say but yes I agree and I fear that it may be a sign of getting old(er). o.O 

or realising that so called progress isn't always all that it's made out to be.

Edited by twocents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍

i hesitate to say but yes I agree and I fear that it may be a sign of getting old(er). o.O 

Not necessarily a bad thing -- most of my cars have got chokes.  I find that one thing stops everyone else driving them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍

i hesitate to say but yes I agree and I fear that it may be a sign of getting old(er). o.O 

Yesterday my partner presented me with an enormous canvas of the artwork in my avatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Yesterday my partner presented me with an enormous canvas of the artwork in my avatar.

Did he buy the original, or a print?! (Or maybe he did a copy for you using some crayons?!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whocares said:

Did he buy the original, or a print?! (Or maybe he did a copy for you using some crayons?!)

I know bugger all about these things. But I suspect it's not Munch's original. Unless he lied to me and he wasn't round his Mum's when it was nicked. It is huge.

If I had my way I'd put it on the outside of the house as a sort of statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughter was complaining that she agreed to go with bf (in his car) to the railway station to bring his car back so he could catch the train without parking it. There was bad traffic & he was in a hurry not to miss the train. So he bailed out ASAP in the station forecourt and she slid over to drive the car back home. He had taken the key card with him.

Luckily he had left the engine running so all she had to do was keep it going till she got it home. (But after parking it at home, no way to start it up again.)

All this was shocking news to me - key cards in pockets. (We still have keys!) Sounds daft.

I asked here where the spare "card" at home, and apparently there isn't a spare anymore. Eh?! (We have spare keys here too.)

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I know bugger all about these things. But I suspect it's not Munch's original. Unless he lied to me and he wasn't round his Mum's when it was nicked. It is huge.

If I had my way I'd put it on the outside of the house as a sort of statement.

I think we want/need to see it now?! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, whocares said:

I think we want/need to see it now?! :D

I'm not actually sure where it is now. The house is in a state at the moment as we're decorating. "Everything is everywhere". I think it got put back in the cardboard tube it came in.

I think the only place it can go is on the backwall of the stairway as it's so big. Like that canvas of Elliot Carver from "Tomorrow Never Dies"

There are so many jokes that could go in here but even after half a bottle of wine I don't dare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

I’ve never got out of the car without switching the engine off. 

I guess with stop start technology, it is more difficult to ascertain whether it is truly off, but then a quick check....

I only do it shut the garage door when I'm leaving or returning. You can still hear the engine though - it would even louder in the garage so I can't understand why you can just wander off without noticing. I have noticed that the report was originally in the New York Times so it's Americans, enough said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.