• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Definition of insanity:doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result

Last time I got the train was Cardiff to Manchester and back. On the way out they put on a shitty little train without enough seats. When I eventually got a seat some cunt had stuck chewing gum under the seat which ended up stuck on the back leg of the brand new trousers I was wearing.

They need to pick two out of three of the following:

Cheap, quick, not a horrendous dirty experience surrounded by scum.

At the moment they're not even managing one, so next time I get a train will be when I have no other choice at all in the matter.

6 hours ago, the gardener said:

At a wild guess its because there are no tracks or signals in the sky. There also are no trees and hedgerows to maintain at 35000 feet. Mostly unlikely to be any landslides / subsidence issues to deal with in the clouds. There are also slightly more stations than airports.

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Could you be any more patronising? No tracks? Yes. No signals to maintain? For planes? Have you thought that through? The whole air travel infrastructure is huge.

Maintain trees and hedgerows? Right. That's a really expensive job.

I'm fact, fuck it. I've never read so much bollocks in my life. Your post isn't worth the time of rebutting.

9 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

How much was the franchise fee paid for the privilege of running the service. Without knowing that how can the profitability of the service be estimated. I'd be interested  in seeing the accounts for the franchise rather than the political opinions for privatisation or nationalisation.

I suspect it bears little to no resemblance to any sort of private business that anyone who had actually run a private enterprise would recognise. I don't think the privatisations are a million miles away form the sort of wendy house business local councils, delude themselves they are by creating a logo and brand etc. I think it applies to an awful lot of large corporations too.

29 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I suspect it bears little to no resemblance to any sort of private business that anyone who had actually run a private enterprise would recognise. I don't think the privatisations are a million miles away form the sort of wendy house business local councils, delude themselves they are by creating a logo and brand etc. I think it applies to an awful lot of large corporations too.

Yes, perversely they are exactly what capitalist businesses seek to achieve, local or national monopolies. The important difference is that capitalist businesses have to be better in some way than their rivals as opposed to state monopolies (including privatised companies) who achieve it through the force of law.

15 hours ago, One percent said:

So, how often do the have to renationalise before they realise that trains in private hands is ideology trumping expediency?  In national hands, the east coast line makes money, private, it loses money and the private company messes it up

Does it?
Does it not just give itself more money to make a profit from?