• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Carl Fimble

Formula 1 Elf n Safety

Those bar things fitted fo F1 cars these days, I only heard about them the other day.

I was initially offended by the look of them and the fact it's making it less dangerous, and also less exciting. Less manly and less important. Then I wondered if drivers would go for it more now, making it more exciting.

Dunno, I've not watched F1 for years, I reckon if they increased the power of the cars to mitigate the extra safety gain from the halo things.... Yeah, that's my recommendation to FISA or whoever it is.

These are the things I'm on about :

f1-british-gp-2016-sebastian-vettel-ferr

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Those bar things fitted fo F1 cars these days, I only heard about them the other day.

I was initially offended by the look of them and the fact it's making it less dangerous, and also less exciting. Less manly and less important. Then I wondered if drivers would go for it more now, making it more exciting.

Dunno, I've not watched F1 for years, I reckon if they increased the power of the cars to mitigate the extra safety gain from the halo things.... Yeah, that's my recommendation to FISA or whoever it is.

These are the things I'm on about :

f1-british-gp-2016-sebastian-vettel-ferr

In the golden years of driver deaths (early 80's I guess -- I remember it as being a regular occurrence) it wasn't so much driver skill as risk-of-death tolerance.  I think we're better off in a time where driver skill dominates, with the risks being limited to risk-of-ending-in-gravel and risk-of-engine-blowing-up.

Edited by dgul

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

In the golden years of driver deaths (early 80's I guess -- I remember it as being a regular occurrence) it wasn't so much driver skill as risk-of-death tolerance.  I think we're better off in a time where driver skill dominates, with the risks being limited to risk-of-ending-in-gravel and risk-of-engine-blowing-up.

It's pretty safe now already though isn't it? Schumacher got fucked skiing after years flying round circuits. Safer good, too safe bad.

Niki Lauda seems to agree :

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-halo-fia-detroys-popularity-933175/

A wee windscreen like Eight showed above would be ok maybe, these halo things though- hmmm.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

But sadly it's full as fuck.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

It's pretty safe now already though isn't it? Schumacher got fucked skiing after years flying round circuits. Safer good, too safe bad.

Niki Lauda seems to agree :

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-halo-fia-detroys-popularity-933175/

A wee windscreen like Eight showed above would be ok maybe, these halo things though- hmmm.

You might be right.  Certainly, all the fun spectator motorsport has a bit of a dangerous edge.

[I'm not sure that it is crucial to being fun to watch, but it does seem to be the case that the dangerous ones are also more fun to watch.]

I'd add I don't watch F1 as there doesn't seem to be any point.  The excitement is still there in rally, some saloon car, vintage racing, etc.

Edited by dgul

37 minutes ago, dgul said:

I think it's noteworthy that the last death in F1 occurred when a driver crashed during a safety car deployment, into a recovery vehicle that was removing another stricken car so nobody could crash into it. As I was pointing out this irony to Mrs Detached during the recent Baku GP, the Azerbaijani marshalls cheerfully plodded onto the track in some sort of ancient recovery truck and slewed it diagonally across a narrow street circuit with F1 cars passing by at whatever speed they do under a virtual safety car - probably at least 60mph.

You sometimes have to wonder if we're not killing people for their own safety.

Completely pointless procession of cars whizzing around a banal track for 2 hours. I don't want to see drivers killed but some decent overtaking would be nice. I stopped watching it a few seasons ago after having watch it from a very early age in the Hunt/Lauda era.

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Rear Wheel Drive S ?

O.o

Thanks. I asked as the only thing Google knew about is Right Wing Death Squads.

Do you like Right Wing Death Squads?

1 minute ago, blobloblob said:

Thanks. I asked as the only thing Google knew about is Right Wing Death Squads.

Do you like Right Wing Death Squads?

I've never met one, maybe one day.

Posted (edited)

Usually the only excitement is when a tyre bursts or an engine fails - in lieu of real overtaking.  Sometimes there's stuff in and around the pit stops otherwise on most tracks it's a procession.  I quite like the Monaco procession because of the views of the harbour etc as they go round. 

Edited by twocents

There is only one solution to get proper racing in F1 - fully manual gearboxes. Let's see how skillfull they are at negotiating the Monaco hairpin with one hand on the wheel whilst trying to steer and downshift to the right gear manually.

And take away the rev counter and any indication of what gear you're currently in. Then we'll see some racing. 

Lots of great racing on the Yout. I have been watching the British touring cars, world touring cars, indycar and world rallycross this year. The cars aren't as good as F1, but the racing in the Indycars is a lot more exciting. I quite enjoyed the two Red Bulls crashing in Azerbaijan?

I wonder why they introduced the Halo nine years after Felipe Massa's Hungary accident?

Don't forget that Yanks now run F1 after they bought out CVC and Bernie. The halo, to me anyway, is a knee jerk reaction to a tiny amount of drivers being killed in other categories (Justin Wilson - IndyCar - Henry Surties - Formula Two) and the new owners being aversive to getting sued. Same with them ditching the Grid Girls before the start of the season - it wasn't about being more progressive and the halo isn't about giving a shit about the drivers. It's about minimising the risk of being financially arse raped.

I'm not a fan of Liberty Media's changes thus far. The crap redesign of the logo (which looks exactly like someone else's), the bloody cringe inducing theme song that has to play at the start and finish of each race, the new streaming service that arrived late and then didn't work (which we cannot get in the UK until at least 2024 - if it's even working by then) and the whole moving the start time to 10 minutes after the hour because...??? Yanks are always late?

Put Septic's in charge of anything and it goes to shit.

I'll still watch though. It's one of the few vices I have left. And I won't switch to MotoGP or WSB or BSB (or any other acronym) because I fucking hate two wheeled deathtraps. Apologies to any members whom happen to enjoy motorbikes but that's the attitude you get from growing up with a biker father who won't accept and try to force something you obviously don't like and have no interest in.

And no, my father is not a Yank. Just a miserable bastard.

9 minutes ago, eight said:

The safety car has just crashed at the start of the Detroit Indycar race.

It crashes so you don't have to.