• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Mumsnet, are the all there?

The Feminist Chat section is out and out mental.  It's quite funny how a mirror has been held up to their own lunacy with the lunacy of the trans rights movement and they really don't like it.

The rest of it IMO is reasonably balanced but as on any forum you notice the loons more than you notice the sensible ones.

I like the cats section :)

Go on then, give us the link.  I bet it's in Feminist Chat.

11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Was reading a thread on ToS about mumsnet, had a look at the thread in question and I have to say either they're all mental or it's trolls trolling trolls.

Not sure which.

Presumably an AIBU thread? It tends to go a bit mental on that forum but the others tend to be more civilized. 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The Feminist Chat section is out and out mental.  It's quite funny how a mirror has been held up to their own lunacy with the lunacy of the trans rights movement and they really don't like it.

The rest of it IMO is reasonably balanced but as on any forum you notice the loons more than you notice the sensible ones.

I like the cats section :)

Go on then, give us the link.  I bet it's in Feminist Chat.

I cant bring myself to do it.

It's house prices, someone's thinking of guzundering/pulling out a sale because prices are falling...35 pages of EA trolls tell the OPT ( original poster troll, most like from ToS ) to buy cause they agreed to it.

Same trolls from MSE and TOS I'd wager O.o

Oh I saw that one a few days ago, I thought the advice of you'll lose your survey / legal costs was quite good.

Though IIRC it was in south London and I would be very wary of buying into what appears to be a falling market in London; I'd be going ahead in most places outside of London.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Oh I saw that one a few days ago, I thought the advice of you'll lose your survey / legal costs was quite good.

Though IIRC it was in south London and I would be very wary of buying into what appears to be a falling market in London; I'd be going ahead in most places outside of London.

What, compared to loosing a fortune on a house ?

Not a sane argument, sometimes better to cut your losses.  £400K+ for s starer home in Croydon....

Then there was the rent is dead money argument, nothing about the Interest being dead money for the first decade of the mortgage.

Sanity and housing are not closely connected AFAICT

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Though IIRC it was in south London and I would be very wary of buying into what appears to be a falling market collapsing society in London; I'd be going ahead in most places outside of London.

Ftfy

9 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

What, compared to loosing a fortune on a house ?

Not a sane argument, sometimes better to cut your losses.  £400K+ for s starer home in Croydon....

Then there was the rent is dead money argument, nothing about the Interest being dead money for the first decade of the mortgage.

Sanity and housing are not closely connected AFAICT

As I said, I would be wary of buying into London now.  Though sometimes personal circumstances mean that you buy even if it doesn't make financial sense.

If rent / buy was purely a financial decision I would still be renting now as I expect to see big price falls when interest rates go up.

But there were many other factors so I bought and I can take a paper loss.

What options are there remaining for the government to keep prices high? Very few now. Maybe tearing up all planning restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

What options are there remaining for the government to keep prices high? Very few now. Maybe tearing up all planning restrictions. 

Oh come come Spunko, I give you the inexperience of youth but you're not even trying:

MIRAS - tax relief on mortgage payments

MIRAS made available to several purchasers of the same property

Tax breaks for property purchases

Slash stamp duty

Banks having to rent the house back to the defaulting mortgagee as a sitting tenant rather than being able to sieze and auction

The establishment parties want those house prices staying high.

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

£10000 for all 25 year olds?

Or unfortunately something equally stupid I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

£10000 for all 25 year olds?

Or unfortunately something equally stupid I'm sure.

LISAs dole out something incredibly generous like £1k a year already so if you started in your early twenties the government would have given you a free £10k to spend on a house by the time you're 30.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Oh come come Spunko, I give you the inexperience of youth but you're not even trying:

MIRAS - tax relief on mortgage payments

MIRAS made available to several purchasers of the same property

Tax breaks for property purchases

Slash stamp duty

Banks having to rent the house back to the defaulting mortgagee as a sitting tenant rather than being able to sieze and auction

The establishment parties want those house prices staying high.

Thankfully, the government dont control the market, but I agree, there is no end of madness they could do.  Dont forget 40 year mortgages ( already happening ) life time mortgages ( rent till you die ) inter-generational mortgages.  These are signs that the bubble will collapse, not that they will be abke to keep it going.

Politically though, it is suicide, the Tories already know that.

It's a free market at the end of the day, ultimately people will decide with their feet/wallet.

The young will leave, the immigrants stop coming, as soon as that happens the pyramid collapses.

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

LISAs dole out something incredibly generous like £1k a year already so if you started in your early twenties the government would have given you a free £10k to spend on a house by the time you're 30.

Which means you've only lost £100K while waiting for the LISA to mature :Jumping::Jumping:

13 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Trash the currency.

That's ultimately what will happen.

Someone's going to notice soon that their money is has become worthless.

24 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Dont thre is anything as major as printing money and handing it out like sweeties forcing mortgage rates to 1%.

The currency will eb trashed if they keep going, esp with the US raising/QTing.

It's a calamity for the British people wither way.

24 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Wouldn't it be the opposite impose draconian planning restrictions phrased in such a way that only the major housebuilders could get planning consent. Oh sorry, that's already being done.

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

Wouldn't it be the opposite impose draconian planning restrictions phrased in such a way that only the major housebuilders could get planning consent. Oh sorry, that's already being done.

They could ( and are ) just take everyone's money 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thank god someone hijacked the thread and moved the discussion to house prices. 

I never would have guessed that a number of dosbodians were secret mumsnetters. o.O

Troll !!!!

:P

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thank god someone hijacked the thread and moved the discussion to house prices. 

I never would have guessed that a number of dosbodians were secret mumsnetters. o.O

Wonder how many of those people on the mumsnutter threads are actually mums.

The mother of my children is too busy for such nonsense, because she's a mum

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Troll !!!!

:P

Wonder how many of those people on the mumsnutter threads are actually mums.

The mother of my children is too busy for such nonsense, because she's a mum

And I don’t go there as many of them are like the pushy parents I would avoid at the school gate. They also all seem too stupid/ up their own arses to offer any sensible advice on anything. 

1 hour ago, This Time said:

Presumably an AIBU thread? It tends to go a bit mental on that forum but the others tend to be more civilized. 

I love the AIBU threads.

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I love the AIBU threads.

Some of them are awesome hence their regularly getting into the newspapers.

A good recent one was where somebody had broken a glass at her parents in law's house and they had, without saying they were going to do so, sent her a £160 bill for it!

It's like a Jeremy Kyle show in forum form as you get all these stories that make you go "Really?".

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Was reading a thread on ToS about mumsnet, had a look at the thread in question and I have to say either they're all mental or it's trolls trolling trolls.

Not sure which.

You clearly dont have kids and have to chat to these mental harridans at the school gate.

They are very real.