• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SNACR

Name That Tune

Posted (edited)

This is bugging me what's the music playing over the VT on Barry Norman's final film show. It sounds a bit Oasis/Mock Turtles or something I ought to know but could just be some random BBC incidental music equally.

I cannot be responsible for anyone who subsequently pisses away most of their working morning watching old episodes of BBC Film whatever year - I can save you some time by confirming they were vastly superior to more recent offerings.

Edited by SNACR

13 minutes ago, SNACR said:

This is bugging me what's the music playing over the VT on Barry Norman's final film show. It sounds a bit Oasis/Mock Turtles or something I ought to know but could just be some random BBC incidental music equally.

I cannot be responsible for anyone who subsequently pisses away most of their working morning watching old episodes of BBC Film whatever year - I can save you some time by confirming they were vastly superior to more recent offerings.

Is that the same one that was recently hosted by the vaguely mummified Claudia Winkleman?

No contest. 

Barry Norman was also outstanding on The News Quiz, back in the day when it wasn't full of Marxist comedians and fat lesbians talking about being a fat lesbian.

36 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Isn't it the extended version of the theme tune?

SNACR means the music in the clip, it does indeed sound something like a mid 90's indie tune, but it's a bit too short to place it exactly.

31 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Is that the same one that was recently hosted by the vaguely mummified Claudia Winkleman?

No contest. 

Barry Norman was also outstanding on The News Quiz, back in the day when it wasn't full of Marxist comedians and fat lesbians talking about being a fat lesbian.

Back in the day Marxists were always serious and lesbians were always thin.

3 minutes ago, gilf said:

SNACR means the music in the clip, it does indeed sound something like a mid 90's indie tune, but it's a bit too short to place it exactly.

And hes done something clever here, I think, by getting the clip to play from so many seconds in.  I struggle just to get the videos to embed.

4 minutes ago, gilf said:

What clip are we talking about? 

I thought it was the long montage and the music did sound to me like the extended song and it made sense that they would use the fuller version of the theme tune clip for that.

If you're talking about the music underlying the film clips right at the start of the video then no it's not that song; I thought the question applied to the montage.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What clip are we talking about? 

I thought it was the long montage and the music did sound to me like the extended song and it made sense that they would use the fuller version of the theme tune clip for that.

If you're talking about the music underlying the film clips right at the start of the video then no it's not that song; I thought the question applied to the montage.

Whichever one it is, it heavily features a guitar, starts at 1:10.. it's actually a bit difficult to hear. 

The youtube video is set to start at 1:10, but I know that's not always reliable depending on how you view it.

8 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

And hes done something clever here, I think, by getting the clip to play from so many seconds in.  I struggle just to get the videos to embed.

You just need to add ?t=3m36s (using the correct minute/seconds values). There is a share button on youtube that will do this for you.

Just now, gilf said:

Whichever one it is, it heavily features a guitar, starts at 1:10.. it's actually a bit difficult to hear. 

The youtube video is set to start at 1:10, but I know that's not always reliable depending on how you view it.

Oh okay if that then I'm not sure it's long enough for whoever played it to recognse it!

Something from the arly 90s anyway.

The show was apparently from 1998.

Shows sometimes use the instrumental versions of then current songs. Or a snippet of an instrumental section. Or used to.

So the year may provide a clue. It really does sound like Oasis's guitar playing. Like snippets from "Don't Go Away" but I don't think it's that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_discography

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

The show was apparently from 1998.

Shows sometimes use the instrumental versions of then current songs. Or a snippet of an instrumental section. Or used to.

So the year may provide a clue. It really does sound like Oasis's guitar playing. Like snippets from "Don't Go Away" but I don't think it's that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_discography

My first thought was that it was Wonderwall but it trails off into something else towards the end.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

My first thought was that it was Wonderwall but it trails off into something else towards the end.

Snap :)

Could be from the 12" or extended version perhaps, or an unreleased version.

Dosbods Shazam doesn’t seem to be delivering.

Anyone think this is enough of a public interest issue to put an FOI request to the beeb?

Although have to be careful as it’s exactly the sort of triviality I have a propensity to obsessively devote excessive amounts of time to the exclusion of all else.

Posted (edited)

It is the music from the film 'The Object of My Affection', written by the UK's George Fenton, starring the woman I am sexually drawn to but whom I suspect would be hugely disappointing in bed.

Edit:

You can hear what is at 1 min 10 sec on the Barry Norman track at about 1 min 29 sec on the above but the individual tracks are here:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/object-of-my-affection-mw0000598103

Edited by The Masked Tulip

6 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It is the music from the film 'The Object of My Affection', written by the UK's George Fenton, starring the woman I am sexually drawn to but whom I suspect would be hugely disappointing in bed.

Edit:

You can hear what is at 1 min 10 sec on the Barry Norman track at about 1 min 29 sec on the above but the individual tracks are here:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/object-of-my-affection-mw0000598103

Not sure if it's me but I'm not hearing it anywhere in that TBH.

Just now, SNACR said:

Not sure if it's me but I'm not hearing it anywhere in that TBH.

If I have the right bit from the first video then that is what it is.

Whoever edited that 'Film 98' programme simply took some of the incidenetal music from the EPK - Electronic Press Kit video - of the clips of that film and laid it under that video insert of what was coming up in the prog.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

If I have the right bit from the first video then that is what it is.

If it's the jangly guitar immediately prior to Barry talking about The Object Of My Affection, just as he says Jennifer Aniston...

Del Amitri

Surface Of The Moon

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

If it's the jangly guitar immediately prior to Barry talking about The Object Of My Affection, just as he says Jennifer Aniston...

Del Amitri

Surface Of The Moon

Not hearing it in that 

I don't think there's sufficient incentive I'm going to offer a prize 

a1ed5d4bd24aeb8cc8f77500334e54c9.jpg

Edited by SNACR

I don't think it's that Del Amitri track either. Unless there are other versions than the studio one. The guitar riff is quite different to the one in the Barry Norman clip. 

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

1 min 04 secs?

1 min 10 secs.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Not hearing it in that 

1 hour ago, Uptherebels said:

I don't think it's that Del Amitri track either. Unless there are other versions than the studio one. The guitar riff is quite different to the one in the Barry Norman clip. 

4 mins 02 secs in....

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

1 min 10 secs.

4 mins 02 secs in....

Not really hearing it TBH unless this is another laurel yanny thing.