• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Smart (arse) Motorways

Aren't the variable speed limits automated?

Might be urban myth, but that's what they told me on a speed awareness course. The more people bunch up and tailgate the lower the VSL.

6 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Aren't the variable speed limits automated?

Might be urban myth, but that's what they told me on a speed awareness course. The more people bunch up and tailgate the lower the VSL.

If they are then they've got something far wrong, I've driven 15 miles with little traffic on a 50 limit !!!

They seem to come on at set times regardless.

7 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

There would hardly have been any need for smart motorways if the population hadn't be bumped up by 10-15 million(and rising) without any building of infrastructure. 

Spot on.

29 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I would have done if they had got around to constructing the fucking thing.

It probably is a bit too much to ask though, that a twelve mile stretch of the M6 be 'upgraded' to smart motorway within six years. I mean Hong Kong international airport was built in around that time (including the island that it sits upon) but they were clearly showing off.

I'm sure the single workman with a shovel and a roll-up who appears to be the only living being to be seen within twelve miles of bollards is doing his level best.

I've changed jobs every couple of years and in each commute there's been stretches of motorway that were never finished. 

Often I'd drive past (night or day) and the square root of fook all was going on.

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

P.S.  The London spivs want HS2 so they can reduce journey times by 5 mins for a few bankers commuting to London, meanwhile everyone elses journey times have gone through the roof.

What pisses me off with this is the view that everything wants to get to London and that is it.

If you want to go beyond London in either direction it is a total PITA

I.e My son will need to go from Loughborough to Woking.

Easy? Almost

Loughborough to London is 1 train, 85 minutes.

London to Woking is 1 train, 24 minutes.

The bollocks is that he gets in to St Pancras, has to walk to Kings Cross, and then get the tube to Waterloo. That adds 34 minutes to the journey.

They really need to link the North and South of the country together in some way. I wonder how many in the South East now don't bother with the Eurostar as it is such a faff to get there, especially if you have luggage. 

46 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

What pisses me off with this is the view that everything wants to get to London and that is it.

Easy? Almost

The bollocks is that he gets in to St Pancras, has to walk to Kings Cross, and then get the tube to Waterloo. That adds 34 minutes to the journey.

They really need to link the North and South of the country together in some way. I wonder how many in the South East now don't bother with the Eurostar as it is such a faff to get there, especially if you have luggage. 

I do the eurostar each week and as I live near (ish) to you I have to do the Waterloo to St Pancras run. It's 30 minutes roughly between the two but it is a lot of stairs and walking. It gets tougher on the way back from France as the good lady wife asks me to bring 4 bottles of wine for her "cellar" weekly and they really weigh my case down.

Fully agree on the north/south link it really is needed.

In January, I filtered off the M25 to get on the M4 and encountered really low variable limit of "40", then "20" at the next gantry. Before I could get on the M4 proper, the signs became red Xs across all lanes leading east and west. At the same time, the radio was playing government adverts for smart motorways stating that if you see a red X you cannot pass it, else you will receive a fine, and probably imprisonment for hate crime against red people. I had no means of proceeding, but I could see quite clearly that the slip road was clear, and traffic was still traffic flowing on the M4. It's like in Robocop, they have automated offence detection, but it lacks discernment.

Other things I notice often are cycling of speed limits in rapid succession, and a succession of gantries that have speed-limit; blank; speed-limit. I'm led to believe that if no speed limit is displayed, then the national speed limit applies.Other times, a national speed limit sign is used to indicate the end of the variable speed limit. It's like the government is determined to recoup the cost of installation via speeding fines.

4 minutes ago, Oskar said:

I do the eurostar each week and as I live near (ish) to you I have to do the Waterloo to St Pancras run. It's 30 minutes roughly between the two but it is a lot of stairs and walking. It gets tougher on the way back from France as the good lady wife asks me to bring 4 bottles of wine for her "cellar" weekly and they really weigh my case down.

Fully agree on the north/south link it really is needed.

Out of interest do you know what it would cost by taxi. My lad is likely to be travelling with a few mates (as well as full kit) so it might make sense.

58 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Easy? Almost

My old colleague from West Byfleet (whose daughter went to Loughborough - British swimmer) said "you should have seen it before the M25 existed" when I complained about traffic once. 

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

My old colleague from West Byfleet (whose daughter went to Loughborough - British swimmer) said "you should have seen it before the M25 existed" when I complained about traffic once. 

True. We used to go from Leatherhead to Frinton a few times a year as a lad. Through south east London (Father insisted doors were locked).

Used to take bloody hours.

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I would have done if they had got around to constructing the fucking thing.

It probably is a bit too much to ask though, that a twelve mile stretch of the M6 be 'upgraded' to smart motorway within six years. I mean Hong Kong international airport was built in around that time (including the island that it sits upon) but they were clearly showing off.

I'm sure the single workman with a shovel and a roll-up who appears to be the only living being to be seen within twelve miles of bollards is doing his level best.

M6 between junction 2 and 4 is currently being done. Meant to be finished October 2020 I think. 

3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

He's on long term sick, stress and depression

3 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Easy? Almost

I thought HS2 was being built as an escape route.  No?

6 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Out of interest do you know what it would cost by taxi. My lad is likely to be travelling with a few mates (as well as full kit) so it might make sense.

No idea, I'll ask one of the drivers hanging around waiting at St Pancras when I go on Monday. Will assume a 6 seater as they have lots of stuff.

31 minutes ago, Oskar said:

No idea, I'll ask one of the drivers hanging around waiting at St Pancras when I go on Monday. Will assume a 6 seater as they have lots of stuff.

Thank you. That is very kind.

On 18/05/2018 at 18:00, Cunning Plan said:

Thank you. That is very kind.

£15 for a black cab from Waterloo to St Pancras. sounds pretty cheap.

This might be due to the dodgy practice of opening the hard shoulder during busy times which is a recipe for disaster..

I've noticed most driver's don't move over to the hard shoulder and just stay in the left hand lane - who can blame them?