• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UmBongo

Computer assistance required please!

My computer (an HP from 2012. I know! It was my mum's PC) wanted to update yesterday evening so before I selected 'update and shut down' .

Switched it on earlier this afternoon and it started updating on it's own like it's done before. Took an hour or so, got past 81% complete when a blue screen appeared asking me to select a keyboard type. I had to go down half a dozen lists before I could select 'UK'. I then got a choice of 5 options: reset PC, system restore, Ms Dos command and a few others. I tried system restore but it didn't pick up any old restore points.:(

It appears that Windows 10 has failed to update properly. I get to a login screen where I usually enter a PIN but this time it asked me for a password. Got in and the desktop is black, very spartan. No connection to the net and the 'start' button is there but doesn't work.

I should add that shortly after getting the PC from my dad in late 2015 it stopped working shortly afterwards. Took it to Currys PC World who diagnosed a new motherboard. Authorised the repair at a cost of £150 and it's worked perfectly up until today.

Tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 via CD ROM but I need to delete the old operating system. Which is fine so I press the button to do this but then it said that a drive is locked and cannot proceed!! Gah!

So I'm appealing to any of you PC experts out there if you have any suggestions to resolve this?

I'm thinking I might need a new PC or laptop.

Many thanks. :)

28 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

My computer (an HP from 2012. I know! It was my mum's PC) wanted to update yesterday evening so before I selected 'update and shut down' .

Switched it on earlier this afternoon and it started updating on it's own like it's done before. Took an hour or so, got past 81% complete when a blue screen appeared asking me to select a keyboard type. I had to go down half a dozen lists before I could select 'UK'. I then got a choice of 5 options: reset PC, system restore, Ms Dos command and a few others. I tried system restore but it didn't pick up any old restore points.:(

It appears that Windows 10 has failed to update properly. I get to a login screen where I usually enter a PIN but this time it asked me for a password. Got in and the desktop is black, very spartan. No connection to the net and the 'start' button is there but doesn't work.

I should add that shortly after getting the PC from my dad in late 2015 it stopped working shortly afterwards. Took it to Currys PC World who diagnosed a new motherboard. Authorised the repair at a cost of £150 and it's worked perfectly up until today.

Tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 via CD ROM but I need to delete the old operating system. Which is fine so I press the button to do this but then it said that a drive is locked and cannot proceed!! Gah!

So I'm appealing to any of you PC experts out there if you have any suggestions to resolve this?

I'm thinking I might need a new PC or laptop.

Many thanks. :)

OK, small steps.

Have a read of the below article and follow the steps to see if one of the options sorts you out.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-black-screen-problems-windows-10

Can you boot it without a CD in the drive and get back to your 5 options as you describe so as to select the "nuclear" option of a full reset accepting this will also wipe all the content?

@DTMark I did try the full reset earlier but something (I forget what it was) stopped me from doing even that!

I have the black screen now and a mouse pointer.

If you hold down Ctrl Alt and Delete do you get an option to run Task Manager?

If that works click File and Run then type explorer in the box and click the Go or Run button. Does that achieve anything?

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

If that works click File and Run then type explorer in the box and click the Go or Run button. Does that achieve anything?

Nothing happens when I type explorer but clicked the 'browse' button and a few windows have popped up. My files seem to be intact.

Ah! Forced a restart, logged in again ( for the upteenth time) and it now seems to be updating automatically. 

I have a blue screen with Microsoft's messages...oh damn! Another error dialogue box: " C:/WINDOWS/system 32/config/systemprofile/Desktop is unavailable.

Bugger.

23 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Ah! Forced a restart, logged in again ( for the upteenth time) and it now seems to be updating automatically. 

I have a blue screen with Microsoft's messages...oh damn! Another error dialogue box: " C:/WINDOWS/system 32/config/systemprofile/Desktop is unavailable.

Bugger.

If you can get into settings create a new Administator user then restart and login with that.

If it's truly spazzed out then firstly buy yourself a HD caddy that has a usb slot and backup your drive to another pc.

Then Google "create a bootable windows 10 usb" and follow instructions. Make sure your wipe everything (select the option to format drive when you start).

Or, unless your wedded to windows, download a Linux mint installer on a usb drive after you've backed up and install mint on your PC. It works a damn sight better on older machines than windows 10.

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?  

3 times - Windows 10 does have a recovery option that is supposed to kick in if you power your device on and off 3 times in a row quickly.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

3 times - Windows 10 does have a recovery option that is supposed to kick in if you power your device on and off 3 times in a row quickly.

Ah, so the advice I get from my IT support department is maybe not that useful then  :)

More seriously @UmBongo my daughter's old laptop, bout with 8 on it and then automatically upgraded itself to 10. Got into all sorts of problems but Microsoft were very good and got on their support line - it was definitely the software rather than the laptop.  It might be worth contacting them as it does seem to be the update that has caused this.  

They got it all rebooted back to factory reset and not had a problem with it since.

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I thought that was the Islamic exit option that will actually permantly kill your machine.

Having another go this afternoon. Into the blue screen and I opted for a full reset. The last time I tried it, it wouldn't let me carry on.

Looks like I'll have to reinstall 'Asphalt 8 - Airborne' after if I ever get that far. B| I'll also lose my 2015 Ford Mustang V8 desktop wallpaper . O.o

I'll certainly look into linux mint. I'm a bit of a Toyota Corolla in computer terms: I don't like anything too avant-guarde, I just want it to work.

Only problem now is that I have no sound whatsoever.

The Logitech speakers I have are over 10 years old so I guess I'd better buy some new ones. Seems that there have been issues with Logitech speakers and Windows 10. It worked alright on Friday.

Oh well, suppose I'll have to shell out for some new ones. ¬¬

Just got that sacked off with the Windows 10 nettop that I decided to go the Linux route and bin the fucking thing.

Have ordered a new PC, Ketboard and Mouse with Unbuntu Business on it for £230 delivered.

Job done but may stick Mint on it as I like that.

https://www.ebuyer.com/816501-punch-technology-sff-desktop-pc-ldt-703-1002

Well, I have just finished putting back together my Dell laptop after taking it apart to try and get my keyboard working again - was hoping there was something shorting something. But nothing. It stopped workintg after a Windows 10 update. I was hoping that future updates woud sort - silly me - or that Dell would issue a patch - sillier me - but nothing.

If it is any consolation I had the black screen when I rebooted for the first time. I had to power the laptop on and off again quickly 3 or 4 times and it then brought up the repair options allowing me to go to safe mode.

My next laptop will be the cheapest one I can get away with purely because, like smart TV's and smartphones, I don't believe that companies bother supporting them after a year or so.

20 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well, I have just finished putting back together my Dell laptop after taking it apart to try and get my keyboard working again - was hoping there was something shorting something. But nothing. It stopped workintg after a Windows 10 update. I was hoping that future updates woud sort - silly me - or that Dell would issue a patch - sillier me - but nothing.

If it is any consolation I had the black screen when I rebooted for the first time. I had to power the laptop on and off again quickly 3 or 4 times and it then brought up the repair options allowing me to go to safe mode.

My next laptop will be the cheapest one I can get away with purely because, like smart TV's and smartphones, I don't believe that companies bother supporting them after a year or so.

If my little 32GB laptop hadn't made it through the recent big windows updates I'd probably just get one of these for £100 :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L1HLA8G/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?psc=1#

Add the keyboard for another £33. Less than most phones these days!