• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Apple

Rescued injured Sparrow Hawk - But everywhere is closed!

Recommended Posts

We came home to find an injured sparrow hawk in the back garden with a damaged wing by the looks of it.

We captured it as gently as we could and currently have it in a safe cool space, in a dark box.

However the local rescue place is closed, as are the vets. So we're not sure what to do with it now.

Poor bugger is dead if we release it back outside, too many cats.

Is the best thing for him to stay safe until tomorrow when we can hand him over to the rescue centre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

We came home to find an injured sparrow hawk in the back garden with a damaged wing by the looks of it.

We captured it as gently as we could and currently have it in a safe cool space, in a dark box.

However the local rescue place is closed, as are the vets. So we're not sure what to do with it now.

Poor bugger is dead if we release it back outside, too many cats.

Is the best thing for him to stay safe until tomorrow when we can hand him over to the rescue centre?

Keep it in the box, give it a bit of mince

 

 

 

It's chicks'll probably die overnight though

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Just pointing out that in the above link the advice is not tofeed raw meat. I would have thought it made sense to offer something but the article says that they need road-kill.

The raptor rescue say not to offer food or water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I encountered one that couldn't fly. Another person present phoned a bird of prey centre that happened to be about two miles away. They said to throw it behind a hedge so it wouldn't be run over, and leave it. I think they just aren't rare these days.

Edited by Everentt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Aren't we missing something here?

What does Sparrowhawk taste like; it could be one of the finest meats available?

>:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Everentt said:

I encountered one that couldn't fly. Another person present phoned a bird of prey centre that happened to be about two miles away. They said to throw it behind a hedge so it wouldn't be run over, and leave it. I think they just aren't rare these days.

It is the simplest thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Keep it in the box, give it a bit of mince

 

 

 

It's chicks'll probably die overnight though

That sounds like my ex marriage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a magpie in my garden that couldn't use either of it's legs. It just laid there flapping. I had the shovel ready to kill it but couldn't bring myself to do the deed,  having killed my injured chicken the day before which was unpleasant,  so then i thought, sod it I'll put it in a box with newspaper and leave it for a bit. A few hours later it was gone... checked my cameras and it just flew away.O.o

This is my advice to the OP unless it's in obvious pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Yep, chicks are toast

I would guess they have not hatched as of yet ,as it`s normally late May/early June and possibly later this year with the late cold spell also the further north you go the later it gets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Aren't we missing something here?

What does Sparrowhawk taste like; it could be one of the finest meats available?

A large female weighs in at about 14oz half that for a male...  you will need a few for a sandwich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I would guess they have not hatched as of yet ,as it`s normally late May/early June and possibly later this year with the late cold spell also the further north you go the later it gets

Ok then :)

EggCoddler230.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

A large female weighs in at about 14oz half that for a male...  you will need a few for a sandwich 

Take the breasts off, fry very quickly and serve on top of a round of black pudding with some plum sauce and wilted rocket.

They eat pigeon so they must taste a bit like them.

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Take the breasts off, fry very quickly and serve on top of a round of black pudding with some plum sauce and wilted rocket

They would be like eating one of theses 

Image result for doc martin boots images

Edited by Long time lurking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

We came home to find an injured sparrow hawk in the back garden with a damaged wing by the looks of it.

We captured it as gently as we could and currently have it in a safe cool space, in a dark box.

However the local rescue place is closed, as are the vets. So we're not sure what to do with it now.

Poor bugger is dead if we release it back outside, too many cats.

Is the best thing for him to stay safe until tomorrow when we can hand him over to the rescue centre?

Would have left it to the cats myself... it's only a sparrowhawk.

Sorry to be harsh - if it was a hobby or a marsh harrier etc. I would have been kinder but sparrowhawks are not rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

The raptor rescue say not to offer food or water.

A box with airholes, keep it in a dark place where it won't be disturbed by strange movements or sounds. It might be worth putting a wet sponge in but a day or two without food won't be an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.