• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Apple

Rescued injured Sparrow Hawk - But everywhere is closed!

We came home to find an injured sparrow hawk in the back garden with a damaged wing by the looks of it.

We captured it as gently as we could and currently have it in a safe cool space, in a dark box.

However the local rescue place is closed, as are the vets. So we're not sure what to do with it now.

Poor bugger is dead if we release it back outside, too many cats.

Is the best thing for him to stay safe until tomorrow when we can hand him over to the rescue centre?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

We came home to find an injured sparrow hawk in the back garden with a damaged wing by the looks of it.

We captured it as gently as we could and currently have it in a safe cool space, in a dark box.

However the local rescue place is closed, as are the vets. So we're not sure what to do with it now.

Is the best thing for him to stay safe until tomorrow when we can hand him over to the rescue centre?

Keep it in the box, give it a bit of mince

It's chicks'll probably die overnight though

Edited by Hopeful

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Just pointing out that in the above link the advice is not tofeed raw meat. I would have thought it made sense to offer something but the article says that they need road-kill.

The raptor rescue say not to offer food or water.

Posted (edited)

I encountered one that couldn't fly. Another person present phoned a bird of prey centre that happened to be about two miles away. They said to throw it behind a hedge so it wouldn't be run over, and leave it. I think they just aren't rare these days.

Edited by Everentt

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Aren't we missing something here?

What does Sparrowhawk taste like; it could be one of the finest meats available?

>:(

26 minutes ago, Everentt said:

I encountered one that couldn't fly. Another person present phoned a bird of prey centre that happened to be about two miles away. They said to throw it behind a hedge so it wouldn't be run over, and leave it. I think they just aren't rare these days.

It is the simplest thing to do.

55 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Keep it in the box, give it a bit of mince

It's chicks'll probably die overnight though

That sounds like my ex marriage!

I had a magpie in my garden that couldn't use either of it's legs. It just laid there flapping. I had the shovel ready to kill it but couldn't bring myself to do the deed,  having killed my injured chicken the day before which was unpleasant,  so then i thought, sod it I'll put it in a box with newspaper and leave it for a bit. A few hours later it was gone... checked my cameras and it just flew away.O.o

This is my advice to the OP unless it's in obvious pain. 

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Yep, chicks are toast

I would guess they have not hatched as of yet ,as it`s normally late May/early June and possibly later this year with the late cold spell also the further north you go the later it gets

47 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Aren't we missing something here?

What does Sparrowhawk taste like; it could be one of the finest meats available?

A large female weighs in at about 14oz half that for a male...  you will need a few for a sandwich 

8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I would guess they have not hatched as of yet ,as it`s normally late May/early June and possibly later this year with the late cold spell also the further north you go the later it gets

Ok then :)

EggCoddler230.jpg

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

A large female weighs in at about 14oz half that for a male...  you will need a few for a sandwich 

Take the breasts off, fry very quickly and serve on top of a round of black pudding with some plum sauce and wilted rocket.

They eat pigeon so they must taste a bit like them.

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Take the breasts off, fry very quickly and serve on top of a round of black pudding with some plum sauce and wilted rocket

They would be like eating one of theses 

Image result for doc martin boots images

Edited by Long time lurking

1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Would have left it to the cats myself... it's only a sparrowhawk.

Sorry to be harsh - if it was a hobby or a marsh harrier etc. I would have been kinder but sparrowhawks are not rare.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

The raptor rescue say not to offer food or water.

A box with airholes, keep it in a dark place where it won't be disturbed by strange movements or sounds. It might be worth putting a wet sponge in but a day or two without food won't be an issue.