• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Happy Renting

PP or HDPE?

I've cracked my plastic car bumper, and want to weld it (with plastic) before applying filler.

But what plastic are car bumpers made from?

My guess is polypropylene (PP) but it could be some type of polyethylene such as HDPE.

Can anyone give a definitive answer please?

Varies but you can buy sticks of ABS repair material you use with a heat gun and they’ve always bonded to anything I’ve tried providing both surfaces are molten on application.

If it’s small and the design style you can get directly to the rear surface of he crack I would just use a repair patch stuck on the back.

40 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Varies but you can buy sticks of ABS repair material you use with a heat gun and they’ve always bonded to anything I’ve tried providing both surfaces are molten on application.

If it’s small and the design style you can get directly to the rear surface of he crack I would just use a repair patch stuck on the back.

I think they are ABS 

53 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think they are ABS 

It'll say on it (on the back).

PP -- polypropylene

TEO / TPO -- Thermoplastic olefins.

PUR / RIM -- polyurethane.

ABS - ABS

[and other, like PE - polyethylene, PA66 -- nylon, PC -- polycarbonate, etc]

I'd have thought that these days most bumpers will be stamped as PP, TEO or TPO.    Low volume cars quite likely to be PUR though.

Posted (edited)

If you look into it, you can often buy new bumpers ready painted in the same colour from the main dealer for around £250 just bolt & go.

Or use cable ties in a X pattern  by drilling holes to stitch the crack together like frankenstein, can give a Drift / Battle damaged look 

match the colour to cable ties or go contrast black & orange etc to stand out 

Drill 4 holes per tie in a x pattern

Edited by WorkingPoor

1 hour ago, whitevanman said:

Plastic is best welded with itself. Simply cut out a piece of bumper and cut it into welding sticks which can be used to repair the crack. 

I don't have any spare bits of bumper, hence my original question. MAybe I should scout around accident spots for the odd shard.

The idea is to weld the crack shut, to stop the split reopening after I add some light filler over it.

I did have some success stitching another bumper together by epoxying it at the back ad reinforcing it with PU foam, but it was messy.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Fitting some aftermarket parking sensors might be a cheaper long term fix.

I have parking sensors.

Which lulled me into a false sense of security when I backed into a very low wall which they failed to detect.

3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I have parking sensors.

Which lulled me into a false sense of security when I backed into a very low wall which they failed to detect.

Like many things (especially with cars), the technology introduced to improve performance/safety/environment ends up changing behaviours which often ends up making the situation worse than it was before.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dgul said:

Like many things (especially with cars), the technology introduced to improve performance/safety/environment ends up changing behaviours which often ends up making the situation worse than it was before.

Just as well I don't drive a Tesla.:$

Edited by Happy Renting

2 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I have parking sensors.

Have to watch out for those stealth walls, a lot of them around, use B2 bomber tech.

A substantial tow bar is often one of the best ways to avoid damaging your own paintwork.

4 hours ago, dgul said:

Bloke at work has a car with them in the front, they are so annoying he turned them off at which point his other half drove it into the front wall of his house because they didn't tell her to stop.

Strangely this wasn't a problem with his previous simpler car as she knew where the front of the car was.