• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
M S E Refugee

John Motson

I watched a tribute to John Motson last night and he came across as a thoroughly nice chap but interminably dull.

The various talking heads regaled us with many anecdotes about Mr Motson which they found hilarious,I kept waiting for the punchline to these stories but to no avail,I guess you had to be there.

I always preferred Barry Davies myself.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's Motty though, dull football anorak but decent commentator and I've not heard a bad word about him.

I expect he still has all his 1970s copies of Shoot! magazine.

It was sometimes painful to watch as they tried make him seem interesting.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

#MeToo.

League tables as well, the positions of clubs after matches changed by moving little cardboard labels.

Took hours doing that.

39 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I watched a tribute to John Motson last night and he came across as a thoroughly nice chap but interminably dull.

The various talking heads regaled us with many anecdotes about Mr Motson which they found hilarious,I kept waiting for the punchline to these stories but to no avail,I guess you had to be there.

I always preferred Barry Davies myself.

I preferred David Coleman. 

34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's Motty though, dull football anorak but decent commentator and I've not heard a bad word about him.

That magazine, 'Shoot' was like a Bible to me back then. I learnt how to do a banana shot from reading that publication. 

(Or was it Razzle?) 

31 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

#MeToo.

League tables as well, the positions of clubs after matches changed by moving little cardboard labels.

Took hours doing that.

At least Sunderland haven't created much work on that front these last few seasons.

2 minutes ago, Charles Carter said:

That magazine, 'Shoot' was like a Bible to me back then. I learnt how to do a banana shot from reading that publication. 

(Or was it Razzle?) 

I was a big fan of "90 minutes", alternative football glossy in the 90s.  And I had the honour of having a whole feature repeatedly referencing me in one edition because I'd written in about something else but complained about how repetitive that feature was.

So the next month it was all "John Smith from Peterborough wins a t-shirt for that entry, unlike Frank Hovis from London".

1 hour ago, Charles Carter said:

I preferred David Coleman. 

Old enough to remember when the So-Called BBC gig was with Kenneth Wolstenholme DFC and Bar.

He flew over 100 bombing missions over Germany in the Sevond World War which probably gave him a perspective on the game of football  Motty and Co were ever likely to match