• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

My Dorset Life.

Theres defintely a thing about regions/areas where the industrial revolution never reached.

Ive been to places, mainly WIlts and West, where effectively you are dealing with people who's brains are still wired to being argi peasants.

Chatting - and I struggle with that, as I cannot follow some Western accents - it appears that a lot of places even up to the 60s these families relied on estates or farm work.

Theyve gone from being houses by Lord of manors to the council in a couple of generations.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Theres defintely a thing about regions/areas where the industrial revolution never reached.

Ive been to places, mainly WIlts and West, where effectively you are dealing with people who's brains are still wired to being argi peasants.

Chatting - and I struggle with that, as I cannot follow some Western accents - it appears that a lot of places even up to the 60s these families relied on estates or farm work.

Theyve gone from being houses by Lord of manors to the council in a couple of generations.

There are still places where most houses are owned by the local Lord. I wouldn’t say the people are thick but there is definitely a different attitude. 

59 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

There are still places where most houses are owned by the local Lord. I wouldn’t say the people are thick but there is definitely a different attitude. 

My uncle lives in a house owned by the local lord.  He (the lord not my uncle sadly) owns most of the properties in at least two villages.  He has suddenly got into pwopertee development.  Ideally positioned as the council gives the nod to anything he proposes, even building on green belt and building out of keeping monstrosities on the cliff.

I deal with the opposite and the Probates of the white, city dwelling working class.  In Leeds every other death certificate states under deceased’s occupation - tailor, tailoress, seamstress etc.. all completely gone now.  No industry.  These hard workers were born in the 1920s and 1930s and most were employed at Montague Burton.  When their houses are cleared those always loads of cotton reels etc that they’ve probably robbed from work.

Leeds today is a different planet with the great grandchildren of these grafters employed in retail, First Direct etc or teaching assistants 16 hours and WTC.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Ina said:

I deal with the opposite and the Probates of the white, city dwelling working class.  In Leeds every other death certificate states under deceased’s occupation - tailor, tailoress, seamstress etc.. all completely gone now.  No industry.  These hard workers were born in the 1920s and 1930s and most were employed at Montague Burton.  When their houses are cleared those always loads of cotton reels etc that they’ve probably robbed from work.

Leeds today is a different planet with the great grandchildren of these grafters employed in retail, First Direct etc or teaching assistants 16 hours and WTC.

I find cities intimidating..After a couple of days in London, I've had enough have to come back to the sticks.  There's nothing better than going to a country pub on a nice summer's evening...  I once spent a week going from Marble Arch to Totteridge...on the Central / Northern Lines...Never again...and people do this on a daily basis?

Edited by Dave Beans

Just now, Dave Beans said:

I find cities intimidating..After a couple of days in London, I have to come back to the sticks.  There's nothing better than going to a country pub on a nice summer's evening...

Stop lookin at er squishy...

2 hours ago, Ina said:

My grandad was a tailor in Leeds.