• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Motability

I've only known two people with motability cars.

1. Hemophiliac - needed a clotting injection once a day but that somehow entitled them to a free car. 

2. Builders mum - The builder was the only one that used the car

Posted (edited)

So, a £1.7 million pa salary (today) and providing 4.5 million cars over 41 years (1977-2018) ~110k cars pa

Motability Operations has denied having built up "spare" money and says it has provided 4.5 million vehicles to disabled people and their families since its 1977 launch.

If we take those figures for simplicity, he alone gets £15 / car, and then there's the cut everyone else on the pay roll gets too.

Where the fekk does all the money come from ?

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

So, a £1.7 million pa salary (today) and providing 4.5 million cars over 41 years (1977-2018) ~110k cars pa

If we take those figures for simplicity, he gets £15 / car

Us.

It always comes from us.

7 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

1. Hemophiliac - needed a clotting injection once a day but that somehow entitled them to a free car. 

You dont lie in the NE then.

Id guess 30% of the cars are motability, at least the big new ones.

9 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

If we take those figures for simplicity, he alone gets £15 / car, and then there's the cut everyone else on the pay roll gets too.

Sap taxpayer 

Posted (edited)

Probably the most abused system that I know of round these parts.

I've known of people setting up taxi businesses with Motability vehicles.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Probably the most abused system that I know of round these parts.

I've known of people setting up taxi businesses with Motability vehicles.

Girl I knew was working at one of those motobility companies, been there years. She said the entire thing was one big scam and 99% of the claimants were fraudsters.

An ex of mine had a motobility car, had fibromyalgia and wasn't swinging the lead as she did go under the knife for it. But why the fuck she was given one made no sense to me. She was then looking into having a new one to do driving instructing in and having them set it up as dual controls. Complete and utter piss take

2 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Girl I knew was working at one of those motobility companies, been there years. She said the entire thing was one big scam and 99% of the claimants were fraudsters.

An ex of mine had a motobility car, had fibromyalgia and wasn't swinging the lead as she did go under the knife for it. But why the fuck she was given one made no sense to me. She was then looking into having a new one to do driving instructing in and having them set it up as dual controls. Complete and utter piss take

One of Mrs H's mates was given one. A brand new Nissan Juke. 

She's got a problem with her foot, granted, but she has absolutely no problem walking (or stumbling about after a few too many) and is certainly not in the category of, ' Shit that's bad. Here, have a car!'

To be fair to her, she herself was quite mystified as to how she qualified. Wasn't going to turn down the offer of a car though...

I cant put my finger on exactly what, but its pretty rotten. My BiL has one, genuinely disabled with MS but.... No visible income, drives a 40K Mercedes sprts car rather than one of those tall Ford Focus/Fiestas, which would seem a) much more suited to his disability. b) much more suited to his income.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Us.

It always comes from us.

You dont lie in the NE then.

Id guess 30% of the cars are motability, at least the big new ones.

I used to joke that the economy of the NE was based on disabled parking spaces. Any big store shopping site seemed to make half their car park disabled spots.

The scheme makes perfect sense though when you realise the beneficiaries are the car companies, dealerships and the people who work in them. The disabled(whatever that means) are the least of the helped, unless you see them as active people in the economy, which they are as consumrrs and tax spenders.

New cars arent going to buy themselves. Ultimately most people are lazy.   They realise buying new cars is a waste of effort. The government has to step in and do it for us.Thats what the scheme is about.

You're not 'given'  a car  as such. You would be on DLA (or the new one payment thing I guess) and the money you get (or got) for mobility is used to pay for the car. There are some cars that don't have any up front payment, but many that do. E.g. driving a new merc would need a hefty up front payment. A new mokka is £500 if you want a bit extra, like leather heated seats. You 'get' the car for 3 years.

ive had 3 brand new zafiras and a transit that had 21k of adaptations and im talking 21k 9 years ago under the schemes,i was not going to turn down brand new moters for the loss of 150 ish a month,dont forget the free insurence for multiple drivers and top rated aa membership.

Posted (edited)

I suppose it is a kind of Keynesian stimulus to the motor industry.  And it does result in the keeping down of prices of 3 year old cars -- Motability is such a massive thing in the UK, supplying about 10% of new cars and each one will be on a 3 year lease.

I dunno -- I think it is important to give people mobility, but the sheer numbers are staggering.

I sometimes think that the problem is that the cars are too nice and this attracts misuse -- perhaps the choice should be a modified Dacia Sandero (hand controls), Renault Partner (wheelchair access) and maybe a couple of other undesirable cars; almost recreating the social stigma of the invalidcar.  But this really isn't the actual problem -- you don't solve misuse by getting everyone to stand in line and wait to be hit in the head with a haddock (IMO this is how unemployment benefit works -- it just reduces the benefits to those willing to suffer the Haddock).

In the end I think that Motability is a problem only because disability benefits in general are a problem.  There are over 12 million disabled people in the UK; this is an incredible number (using the literal translation of 'in-credibilis').  If they sorted out disability fraud then Motability would sort itself out automatically.

[but it wouldn't solve the CEO payments problem - but this should be easy -- IMO all government sponsored monopolies (Motability, housing associations, 'charities' with >50% funding by government) should have limits on pay]

Edited by dgul

29 minutes ago, NewryH said:

You're not 'given'  a car  as such. You would be on DLA (or the new one payment thing I guess) and the money you get (or got) for mobility is used to pay for the car. There are some cars that don't have any up front payment, but many that do. E.g. driving a new merc would need a hefty up front payment. A new mokka is £500 if you want a bit extra, like leather heated seats. You 'get' the car for 3 years.

Yep, I expect my BIL Mewed the money against his house. My dad reckons the same, and hes closer to them than me. That piggy bank has got to run dry soon, too.

2 hours ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

Loads on our street. 
Some special needs kids that ranges from austism to blindness. Adults: bad wrist, and another has emphysema. 

Motability said Mr Bett's pay was based on a comparison with FTSE 250 firms.
With a FTSE company there's a real risk from market factors, world situations etc - Motability, as long as the govt keeps the scheme it'll keep churning out it's profits. Utter insanity to pay more than a few beans for the job,.
It's guidance from govt that lays it's rules.

31 minutes ago, NewryH said:

You 'get' the car for 3 years.

one here had a 17 plate shiny new one, now has an 18 shiny plate new one. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Funny thing is, I am disabled - the sort that is listed quite highly in things like 'if you lose this than you get this payout' in insurance policies and the like. Youd spot what is missing immediately if you met me.

Except I refuse to live my life labelled as such and have never registered as such with government or employers. Maybe I should? Get myself one of these Motablity cars? Its getting so it would be cheaper than the company car BIK. But I refuse to be self pitying and I refuse to be labelled. Call me old fashioned, Callk me bloody minded, call me stupid. That there are 12M in the UK who claim disability is staggering to me. I reckon at least half of those cant be as disabled as I am. There are a few genuinely disabled - I wouldnt swap what I have for what my BiL has - but a lot seems to be milking the system and/or wallowing in self pity.

I'm not disabled (though some people would disagree), but I have been unemployed several times for periods up to 6 months, and once for 18. Never claimed any benefits for the same reasons you give. I'm bloody minded and stupid, some would say. (The unemployemnt was my choice though as I can only do work (science) that interests me, and if I've got no funding for that I'd step out of science and find farm work like planting cabbages while I wrote proposals of an evening, but if it was the wrong time of year for planting cabbages.....)

Edited by Hopeful

27 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Funny thing is, I am disabled - the sort that is listed quite highly in things like 'if you lose this than you get this payout' in insurance policies and the like. Youd spot what is missing immediately if you met me.

Except I refuse to live my life labelled as such and have never registered as such with government or employers. Maybe I should? Get myself one of these Motablity cars? Its getting so it would be cheaper than the company car BIK. But I refuse to be self pitying and I refuse to be labelled. Call me old fashioned, Callk me bloody minded, call me stupid. That there are 12M in the UK who claim disability is staggering to me. I reckon at least half of those cant be as disabled as I am. There are a few genuinely disabled - I wouldnt swap what I have for what my BiL has - but a lot seems to be milking the system and/or wallowing in self pity.

I'm not disabled and like many things in life it is the sort of thing that you can't really understand unless you're directly affected.

But I do know people who are disabled -- they're typically rather proud and don't make too much of a fuss.  I had a friend at work who slowly lost his sight.  I remember the day he stopped working because it had got too bad -- I had a little chat with him and he started crying.  He'd never said anything about his disability before (although I knew anyway), but that day spoke everything.  How anyone can claim disability without being disabled to the point of impaired function is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'm not disabled and like many things in life it is the sort of thing that you can't really understand unless you're directly affected.

But I do know people who are disabled -- they're typically rather proud and don't make too much of a fuss.  I had a friend at work who slowly lost his sight.  I remember the day he stopped working because it had got too bad -- I had a little chat with him and he started crying.  He'd never said anything about his disability before (although I knew anyway), but that day spoke everything.  How anyone can claim disability without being disabled to the point of impaired function is beyond me.

But not beyond others.

Its money.

For comedy purposes, heres a piccy of a brave disabled person who, despite being crippled and unable to work, still managed to limp into Toon, have 10 pints and have a fight with a Police horse:

article-0-194A5EDF000005DC-293_634x395.j

Truly the poster boy for the UK disabled.

http://benefitfraud.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/is-barry-rogerson-disabled.html

' Rogerson, now on £55-a-week in disability living allowance and £50-a-week in incapacity benefit, was forced to quit his factory job in 2005 with sarcoidosis — a disease of the auto-immune system.

It often clears up on its own, with more than two thirds of sufferers having no symptoms after nine years.

Rogerson said: “Only 60 per cent of my lungs are working. I can’t do anything physical. Even drying myself after a shower leaves me short of breath.” '

1 hour ago, dgul said:

There are over 12 million disabled people in the UK; this is an incredible number (using the literal translation of 'in-credibilis').  If they sorted out disability fraud then Motability would sort itself out automatically.

I have never been able to get my head around that number. A number that large confined to a single country should be attracting WHO attention as that's what's known as an epidemic. I mean Jesus, what is that, 18% of the population?

26 minutes ago, spygirl said:

But not beyond others.

Its money.

For comedy purposes, heres a piccy of a brave disabled person who, despite being crippled and unable to work, still managed to limp into Toon, have 10 pints and have a fight with a Police horse:

article-0-194A5EDF000005DC-293_634x395.j

Truly the poster boy for the UK disabled.

http://benefitfraud.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/is-barry-rogerson-disabled.html

' Rogerson, now on £55-a-week in disability living allowance and £50-a-week in incapacity benefit, was forced to quit his factory job in 2005 with sarcoidosis — a disease of the auto-immune system.

It often clears up on its own, with more than two thirds of sufferers having no symptoms after nine years.

Rogerson said: “Only 60 per cent of my lungs are working. I can’t do anything physical. Even drying myself after a shower leaves me short of breath.” '

Bugger, I'm now cleaning coffee off my laptop  xD

The sad thing is that properly disabled people are going to get fucked over here too.

DLA is abused something rotten here in NI so I guess it had to stop sometime.

However, after they give the (actually) disabled folk hell, and make savings because of it, they should then work their way around to all the other groups in society that are getting free tax payer money.

My bet is that they won't.

Posted (edited)

The other thing worth noting is that with the NHS falling to bits, the average person with a chronic disability is double-fucked now in terms of actually getting medical help, and DLA could have been used by them to pay for private care (e.g. a private physio with a good reputation vs an eternal waiting list for one that turns out to be shite).

Edited by JoeDavola