• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Carpet fitting charges

We ordered a new carpet on 3rd May from Carpetright including fitting.

We elected not to take up the offer of "disposal" at £45 but went for all of the other specified options.

Finally, it's ready, and the fitters are due to arrive late this morning or early this afternoon.

I've just had a call to confirm this. The fitter wanted to know:

1. Is the room empty of furniture? The answer is yes.
2. Has the original carpet been taken out?

No, the original carpet is still there. As it would be except in, say, a brand new house that has never had one.

I believe they may seek to make an extra charge. However the room is small. There was no requirement that I can recall regarding removing the original carpet.

The cost of fitting as quoted is about £65. We paid separately for delivery, about £30, which seems a bit odd since they're coming from the store. After all that's where the carpet is.

What do you think..?

It is probably called 'uplift and disposal' in the small-print.

But do it yourself -- taking carpet up is easy.

[just ensure that you really do have a date where they'll come, otherwise they'll just delay and you'll be walking on concrete]

[also make sure you understand the underlay -- you reusing or laying down new as well?]

They'll be here in about an hour.

IIRC the "uplift and disposal service" was an extra £45-ish.

However I did not interpret "uplift" as "removal of the old carpet, but, removal from the house and disposal. Probably concentrating more on the latter. It doesn't say "Remove old carpet" as such.,

I may not have read the information about this very clearly. I have found an answer here:

https://www.carpetright.co.uk/uplift-and-disposal-service

So it does look like we'll need to pay the extra £45.

The more interesting point that has only just occurred to me is the method of payment of which there has been no mention. We live in the countryside and rarely have cash.

I can pay by card or by Faster Payment bank transfer. I wonder if the people coming are actually a third party and expecting cash, but if so I fear they will be disappointed. We shall see..

They will expect the floor to be bare and ready for them to fit the carpet. This is normal in my experience. I've always removed the old carpet before having a new one fitted.

A stanley knife will reduce it to easily managed chunks. 5 minutes and you'll have it up.

A separate delivery charge sounds a bit rip off and the price you are paying would be significantly less around here.

Offering them a brew when they arrive is always a good policy in terms of the relationship.

Thanks. I'm here on my own today grappling with some bits of urgent work and so I suspect I won't be able to remove it in time.

I do know it has underlay (we pulled a corner of it up once to see if there was lovely wood floor underneath but there is only concrete). Have included new underlay in the quote.

And the reason for replacement is because one of our cats p***ed on it so that bit may be glued to the floor. (The smell of cat pee can never be removed, once it's there, no product in the world can get rid of it despite what they claim).

I shall clarify the price for that bit will be around the £45 quoted before they start.

This is relevant to my interests!

I have a small room plus stairs and small top landing area to b carpeted soon, but have no idea whatsoever what ballpark figure I should expect for fitting.

Stairs and landing are bare boards, small room is concrete floor.

And would I save much by doing the underlay and gripper strips myself?!

I know I just need quotes, but would be helpful to have an idea up front.

4 minutes ago, NTB said:

They will expect the floor to be bare and ready for them to fit the carpet. This is normal in my experience. I've always removed the old carpet before having a new one fitted.

A stanley knife will reduce it to easily managed chunks. 5 minutes and you'll have it up.

A separate delivery charge sounds a bit rip off and the price you are paying would be significantly less around here.

Offering them a brew when they arrive is always a good policy in terms of the relationship.

Carpet fitters seem to take it as a given that there will be no carpet to remove.

When we bought our last carpet it wasn't mentioned by the salesmen who would remove the carpet so we left it down and the carpet fitter was pissed off when he saw that it was still down.

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Thanks. I'm here on my own today grappling with some bits of urgent work and so I suspect I won't be able to remove it in time.

I do know it has underlay (we pulled a corner of it up once to see if there was lovely wood floor underneath but there is only concrete). Have included new underlay in the quote.

And the reason for replacement is because one of our cats p***ed on it so that bit may be glued to the floor. (The smell of cat pee can never be removed, once it's there, no product in the world can get rid of it despite what they claim).

I shall clarify the price for that bit will be around the £45 quoted before they start.

The fitters will be a 3rd party, they will be up for negotiation on the removal as CR won't be taking their cut and its money for nothing - takes 5 minutes.

Just now, M S E Refugee said:

... the carpet fitter was pissed off when he saw that it was still down.

As would you be! It's a pain in the arse to get rid of - heavy and dirty and you can't just pop it in the bin!

Oddly enough we replaced another carpet in one of the small rooms. We did this ourselves.

3m x 2.5m.

Offcut was about £40.

We fitted it ourselves.

Room is square and so easy to do. We succeeded in having no creases whether through luck or judgment by applying certain simple logic when doing it.

I wouldn't do a complex room or stairs myself.

The room being done today has a large hearth that needs to be cut around.

Here's what it cost:

Item

Sku

Qty

Subtotal

Revolution Twist Carpet

Colour shade

Claret

Size

5m

17 m2

£169.83

Delight Carpet Underlay 7mm

A37100000900

17 m2

£84.83

Single Edge Synbrass Door Bar - 0.9lm

£7.99

Subtotal

£262.65

Delivery

£29.99

Grand Total (Excl.Tax)

£292.64

Tax

£0.00

Grand Total (Incl.Tax)

£292.64

Payable to the fitter on the day of fitting

£64.60

3 minutes ago, LC1 said:

As would you be! It's a pain in the arse to get rid of - heavy and dirty and you can't just pop it in the bin!

Cut in to strips, roll up, tape, pop in wheelie bin when space available :)

1 minute ago, LC1 said:

I just thought that they would dispose of it like most other trades do when you get something fitted.

8 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I have a small room plus stairs and small top landing area to b carpeted soon, but have no idea whatsoever what ballpark figure I should expect for fitting.

I need new carpets as well but I just can't face it.

Just now, M S E Refugee said:

I just thought that they would dispose of it like most other trades do when you get something fitted.

Seems to be in the definition of the word 'uplift'.

Which makes me think 'take away'. In the same manner that a helicopter might uplift someone to safety.

However strictly speaking the word means 'to lift up' or 'to raise'.

If you know nothing about carpet fitting, like me, you wouldn't necessarily think it means 'remove old carpet' and might have expected that to be a little clearer.

"When the fitters arrive you will need to have removed the old carpet if you do not select this service' might have been more helpful.

But no big deal.

Isnt that he problem with dealing with CarpetRight rather than carpet fitters as a whole?

CarpetRight is so fucked as a company its actively looking at scams to rip its customers off.

Bit like Dixons and the warranties.

Never deal wit fucked up companies

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Seems to be in the definition of the word 'uplift'.

Which makes me think 'take away'. In the same manner that a helicopter might uplift someone to safety.

However strictly speaking the word means 'to lift up' or 'to raise'.

If you know nothing about carpet fitting, like me, you wouldn't necessarily think it means 'remove old carpet' and might have expected that to be a little clearer.

"When the fitters arrive you will need to have removed the old carpet if you do not select this service' might have been more helpful.

But no big deal.

Doors,Windows,Fridges and Washing Machines etc are usually disposed of by tradesmen without question, unlike these prima donna carpet-fitters.

15 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I've seen fitters have to rip up and re-position grippers and in any case they are priced into the job usually. They will be paying a lot less for them than you. I'd suggest letting them do their job. No tradesman likes to pick up a half done job.

14 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Doors,Windows,Fridges and Washing Machines etc are usually disposed of by tradesmen without question, unlike these prima donna carpet-fitters.

It's in the conflation of two things here - remove original carpet, and dispose of original carpet.

Since I thought that it meant only the latter, I thought "I'm not paying you £45 to drive a mile down the dual carriageway and pop it in the tip, I can do that".

Your first mistake Mark was to go to one of the big sheds, rather than a local independent.  I always use local and the service is excellent.  The one round the corner from my mum, when my mum destroyed the bit on the larger stair half way up (if this makes sense) with a leaking pot plant, ordered a 'sample' from the manufacturer and came and fitted it for free.  

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, NTB said:

I've seen fitters have to rip up and re-position grippers and in any case they are priced into the job usually. They will be paying a lot less for them than you. I'd suggest letting them do their job. No tradesman likes to pick up a half done job.

This,

If you want a decent job of the 50% that you can't do, let the tradesman do it all. The 50% of DIY work just causes hassle (unless it's preparation like removing a carpet).

And, you're more likely to negotiate on price for a 100% job than for a 50% job, I'd ramp the price on the latter.

Edited by Hopeful

I got my carpets from Carpet Right and had a seemingly rare positive experience all round. Used a local fitter though rather than one of theirs. They came out, measured it, I ordered it, they delivered it on time and then my fitter took a day to do them all. He took the old ones up and even put them on the bonfire.

One of the biggest ripoffs going seems to be tool hire companies. Not relevant to carpets, but I always get ripped off by them. They quote a price without VAT, I do the sums in my head to see how much it'll cost with VAT added, and it's often double. I don't even bother asking why any more (delivery charges, cleaning charges, diesel charges, etc. Load of nonsense)

When I win the lottery I'm buying my own 1.5tonne JCB and dumper truck.

25 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

One of the biggest ripoffs going seems to be tool hire companies. Not relevant to carpets, but I always get ripped off by them. They quote a price without VAT, I do the sums in my head to see how much it'll cost with VAT added, and it's often double. I don't even bother asking why any more (delivery charges, cleaning charges, diesel charges, etc. Load of nonsense)

When I win the lottery I'm buying my own 1.5tonne JCB and dumper truck.

Yeah, on the odd occasion I've looked at hiring tools, the daily rate seems to be about half the cost of buying the thing.