• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Idiocrat

Where to invest this year's SIPP dosh?

Recommended Posts

I have a sum sitting in my SIPP that I put in at end of last tax year. And no idea where to put it. My portfolio's fine on precious metals, energy/gas, gilts and mixed funds (eg. Vanguard Life Strategy/Fundsmith), so reasonably well diversified. I'm probably light on emerging markets and property (I did have shares in a German property fund which did very well, but they got bought out for cash). I'd like to make two investments - a fund/tracker/ETF and a single company (or poss 2). Anyone have any tips? TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wary of property funds and the only gilt-edged investment grade company that I can find is Assura Plc and as such hold 7,500 shares as part of my income portfolio. They are currently yielding 4.25% and serving the public sector (GP Surgeries) it's a sound business model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

I'm wary of property funds and the only gilt-edged investment grade company that I can find is Assura Plc and as such hold 7,500 shares as part of my income portfolio. They are currently yielding 4.25% and serving the public sector (GP Surgeries) it's a sound business model. 

Not a bad yield, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think defensive so Old Mutual UK Alpha or M&G Recovery will be where my SIPP & ISA cash will go this year.   It's been ages since I've looked at these type of funds but I think now may be a good time.

Though my favourites remain VCTs because of that lovely tax free dividend stream and the 30% tax relfief for buying them in the first place :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been buying up some high dividend investment trusts in my SIPP / ISA as the FTSE is quite high and I don't see much value elsewhere

For divis Greene King and Marstons look reasonable although I doubt will see much capital growth. 

Also bought up a load of Sirius Minerals shares in January and Feb at 22-23p and some  more in April at 28p. Share price now 33.8p. Thats been my best short term growth stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I have been buying up some high dividend investment trusts in my SIPP / ISA as the FTSE is quite high and I don't see much value elsewhere

For divis Greene King and Marstons look reasonable although I doubt will see much capital growth. 

Also bought up a load of Sirius Minerals shares in January and Feb at 22-23p and some  more in April at 28p. Share price now 33.8p. Thats been my best short term growth stock. 

o.O if this is the Sirius I think it is, @spygirl will be along to advise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

o.O if this is the Sirius I think it is, @spygirl will be along to advise. 

Damn. I was kicking the tyres of Sirius Minerals around about the same time as Kurt Barlow but didn't invest and forgot to put on my watch list. Now added a buy limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

o.O if this is the Sirius I think it is, @spygirl will be along to advise. 

I showed Mrs 'I believe in property, can't lose with bricks and mortar' Barlow the 5000 Beach energy shares I bought in 2015 at 50c a share which she had a epi over back then. 

http://www.beachenergy.com.au/irm/content/share-price-information2.aspx?RID=214

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

Damn. I was kicking the tyres of Sirius Minerals around about the same time as Kurt Barlow but didn't invest and forgot to put on my watch list. Now added a buy limit.

Once that mine gets going it will be a major divi earner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I showed Mrs 'I believe in property, can't lose with bricks and mortar' Barlow the 5000 Beach energy shares I bought in 2015 at 50c a share which she had a epi over back then. 

http://www.beachenergy.com.au/irm/content/share-price-information2.aspx?RID=214

Once that mine gets going it will be a major divi earner

Don’t hold your breath on the mine ever being productive. I’m not an engineer but even I can see that piping it 26 miles is a crazy plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don’t hold your breath on the mine ever being productive. I’m not an engineer but even I can see that piping it 26 miles is a crazy plan. 

26 miles is nothing

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I showed Mrs 'I believe in property, can't lose with bricks and mortar' Barlow the 5000 Beach energy shares I bought in 2015 at 50c a share which she had a epi over back then. 

http://www.beachenergy.com.au/irm/content/share-price-information2.aspx?RID=214

Once that mine gets going it will be a major divi earner

There's already a local mine - Boulby.

The capital cost of its dig  was provided by ICI.

Even with the capital cost written off the mine has never made a profit.

My opin ion is that a hole in the ground mine in the UK or anywhere in the West is just not viable - too expensive.

Open cast - yep. No problems with that. The arse end of UK coal mining saw mines with 2000 miners with picks and shovels be replaces by a couple of blokes driving huge diggers in a massive hole.

Ive also an issue with potash pricing. Potash prive is controlled by a duopoly based n Russia and Belarus. Both these mine can produce at much lower cost than any mine i nthe UK. And they are closer to China, which is where the demand is.

The tunnel isnot only long - longer than the channel tunnel - its also pretty deep too.

Depsite the [pitches Ive never seen a single tunnel dig where the costs have come in close to the plan.

This matters as the build cost is only half funded. Sense says itsprobably only 25% funded. Thats a lot of money to spend before a single bag of potash is sold.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

Interesting suggestions, thanks guys. Keep 'em coming! 

TBH I think the FTSE is fully valued at present. 

My  current  approach is largely based around modest investing in decent high dividend stocks, primarily to get 40% tax relief / improve my income stream from my existing ISA.

As my wife doesn't 'believe' in interest I have her ISA allowance as well. I have about 50K sitting in P2P ISA accounts which are readily accessible but earning around 3% tax free (instead of <1%) I also have 75K in PB . This will be my vulture fund if there is a share correction in prices and hopefully fund my early retirement. I previously did this in 2009 (GFC) 2011 (Aug correction) and 2015 (OZ - commodities slump). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

TBH I think the FTSE is fully valued at present. 

Yes, I could always just stay in cash for now and have been thinking about that ("sell in May..."). Appreciate most markets seem toppy but isn't the FTSE still not much higher than where it was 20 years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I've bought back into Marstons this morning 7,500 shares. Have previously held at around this entry point taking capital profits. Either divi and or recovery. 

I  cycle a proportion of them in and out of my portfolio as their range seems to be about 1.-- to 1.40. Do the same with Mcbride although their divi isn't nearly as good

Edited by Kurt Barlow
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I've bought back into Marstons this morning 7,500 shares. Have previously held at around this entry point taking capital profits. Either divi and or recovery. 

At a quid a share and dividend >7% they are looking like a tasty divi earner. Dividend cover is about 1.8 so while their may not be any dividend growth 7% is a very nice annual contribution and unlikely to be cut.  A good one for the ISA as the divi is then tax free. 

Am I right in thinking it was that cnut Brown who brought in the 10% dividend tax on pensions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, spygirl said:

There's already a local mine - Boulby.

The capital cost of its dig  was provided by ICI.

Even with the capital cost written off the mine has never made a profit.

My opin ion is that a hole in the ground mine in the UK or anywhere in the West is just not viable - too expensive.

Open cast - yep. No problems with that. The arse end of UK coal mining saw mines with 2000 miners with picks and shovels be replaces by a couple of blokes driving huge diggers in a massive hole.

Ive also an issue with potash pricing. Potash prive is controlled by a duopoly based n Russia and Belarus. Both these mine can produce at much lower cost than any mine i nthe UK. And they are closer to China, which is where the demand is.

The tunnel isnot only long - longer than the channel tunnel - its also pretty deep too.

Depsite the [pitches Ive never seen a single tunnel dig where the costs have come in close to the plan.

This matters as the build cost is only half funded. Sense says itsprobably only 25% funded. Thats a lot of money to spend before a single bag of potash is sold.

 

 

Canada is by far the biggest producer - almost as much as Rus and Bela combined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Canada is by far the biggest producer - almost as much as Rus and Bela combined. 

But beladus have the lowest costs. They are the swing producer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, spygirl said:

But beladus have the lowest costs. They are the swing producer.

Saudi Arabia has traditionally been the swing producer for oil with one of the lowest cost bases. 

That doesn't appear to have stopped other market entrants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Value investing today on my part 4,000 Dairy Crest. 3,000 short term and 1000 for the dividend (4%+ yield). 

I bought 1000 Marstons shares today. Would have bought more but my readily accessible cash a bit on the low side after having an ISA splurge over the last 6 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning to add 1000 Vodafone shares to the SIPP portfolio tomorrow. It'll change the weighting ever so slightly but the outcome is the same £173,000 yielding 5% and no fund management fees just the platform charges of £16.66 a month.

C7340C8D-525B-458C-8AEA-4087606A5DAF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For those into Marstons, I appreciate the divi is great, but what is there to think that the long downward slide in the share price will stop soon? I'm genuinely interested in investing but it's quite a chart. TIA!

marstons.png

Edited by The Idiocrat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.