• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Just received a email from the ROI from people I have not heard of but could easily have been on their mailing list.

Their web site checks out OK and I suppose that I may have been in contact with them years ago because we share a mutual interest.

The problem is that they quote the GDPR coming into force and want me to complete a form with my contact details.

I have no way of knowing if,

a This is a phishing scam,

b The GDPR applies to UK data held in the ROI.

11 minutes ago, Byron said:

Just received a email from the ROI from people I have not heard of but could easily have been on their mailing list.

Their web site checks out OK and I suppose that I may have been in contact with them years ago because we share a mutual interest.

The problem is that they quote the GDPR coming into force and want me to complete a form with my contact details.

GDPR is an EU regulation I believe so relevant to ROI as well. If you have nothing to do with them on a regular basis, why would you want them to retain your details?

GDPR affects any company in the world that deals with EU citizens.

My inbox is going to be stuffed full of this crap all week.

If you aren't interested in their product just ignore them.

Good opportunity to spring clean your incoming emails.

I'm afraid the big bairn in me would just have to send them some fake details full of piss-takey names (Ben Dover, Hugh Jass, etc), dodgy phone numbers, and foul-mouthed email addresses.

I really am a childish cunt for a gadgie of fifty-three...!

;)

XYY

GDPR: Gormless Diplomats Pursuing Revenue

This is going to be like trying to fine everyone who does 71+mph on the motorway.

Won't stop spam either - most of the spam comes from places that take no notice of the EU. And the mailings from inside the EU already had to have mandatory unsubscribe links.

Utterly fuckign pointless.

The problem that I foresee is that lots of legitimate businesses, clubs, associations etc. are going to be sending out similar emails and cautious people like me will ignore everyone of them.

Same with fraudulent phone calls, I know that the electricity company have been calling me about a smart meter, but as policy I refuse to speak to them because I never give out personal details over the phone.

My general purpose answer when I get 'Can I speak to Mr....... please'

Is to reply, 'Who shall I say is calling?'

If I am not sure of them I hang up.

8 hours ago, Byron said:

It is a type of phishing scam, yes. In so far as they are attempting to get your consent to receive communication from them. The legislation is aimed at ensuring that organisations cannot simply send out shite to everyone they ever had any contact with ever at any point. So opportunistically, they'd like you to supply all your details which at the same time provides your consent.

If you want them to keep in touch then you may wish to do this. If you do not then just ignore it.

GDPR applies to all organisations doing business in the EU. Where the data is stored is not relevant.

Another laudable idea not thought through and resulting in unforseen consequences. I wanted to do database training course with a company in the US. Due to gdpr they will no longer do business with EU citizens, at least until some test cases have established how the law will be interpreted. 

8 hours ago, Byron said:

The problem that I foresee is that lots of legitimate businesses, clubs, associations etc. are going to be sending out similar emails and cautious people like me will ignore everyone of them.

Same with fraudulent phone calls, I know that the electricity company have been calling me about a smart meter, but as policy I refuse to speak to them because I never give out personal details over the phone.

My general purpose answer when I get 'Can I speak to Mr....... please'

Is to reply, 'Who shall I say is calling?'

If I am not sure of them I hang up.

IMO the problem is that there loads of legitimate businesses, clubs, associations etc are going to be bit with vexatious inquiries and then legal inquiries because the actual law is very badly worded.  It is going to be a complete mess.

And all the while the big companies will just keep on hassling because they're big enough to have the mechanisms in place to actually comply with the law.

13 hours ago, Southmartin said:

This is going to be like trying to fine everyone who does 71+mph on the motorway.

Well, I suppose, in that it criminalises normal behaviour.  But that example suggests that it is trivial to comply with.

It would be more like seeing lots of problems with delivery van driving so mandating that all companies have to keep a detailed log of all business travel, including route, driver, journey time, max-speed, etc, and with a right for anyone to inquire as to the stats for a given company for free, at any time for any reason.  And everyone would say 'great -- those delivery van drivers are a pain'.  And then people would start realising that it covers all business travel (including walking and cycling), and for any purpose (not just deliveries), and for all size of non-private entity (even the paper boy and tiny allotment associations).  Everyone would be swamped with hassle while the original perpetrators didn't have to change anything (as they were doing all the logging anyway), and the actual perpetrators (illegal drivers) would just carry on being badly behaved as before.

I've absolutely no doubt that it will all be sorted quickly enough with a few test cases -- but up to that point it is a lottery as to whether your (or my) small business or club will be one of the few chosen to be completely destroyed while they sort out the test cases.

17 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

GDPR affects any company in the world that deals with EU citizens.

My inbox is going to be stuffed full of this crap all week.

If you aren't interested in their product just ignore them.

Good opportunity to spring clean your incoming emails.

This! Easy way to unsubscribe from historic crap you no longer have interest in.

12 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Any ACTION REQUIRED emails I'm receiving about GDPR I'm just spamming and ignoring.

Ah, well the naughty ones who just say "do nothing" are the ones you'll keep ...............

And it aint going to stop no spammers.

My colleague who deals with patient access requests will be busy from Friday. She won't be able to charge 'em a tenner anymore and the floodgates will probably be flung open.

2 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

This! Easy way to unsubscribe from historic crap you no longer have interest in.

Sure.  It is a one-off way to remove your details from all historic lists.  While not impacting anyone who gains information from you in the future, because the new 'tick to opt-out' option is worded correctly.  And while not affecting those that have such lists but only want to use them for malice.  And while making the day-to-day lives of normal small businesses and organisations hell while they try to meet the ill-thought through legislation.   Baby and bathwater spring to mind.

I expect there to be a complete barrage of vexatious complaints coming from Friday.  I'm surrounded by people that won't be compliant.  Today I've had two emails from the school (not asked if they can send them).  Yesterday I had an email from a company I own shares in with an update on their operations (they've got permission to do this, but it isn't GDPR compliant).  The day before I had emails from a company I'd bought something from asking me to rate them on Amazon (not a permitted action under the GDPR 'permitted actions').  I suppose they'll all just stop on Friday, but I don't believe it -- it's more likely that they don't realise it applies to them.

Oh, and I can't imagine that the nuisance phone calls I get will stop any time soon.

Well, tomorrow is the 'big update day'.

Various database scripts to run, Mail Chimp to reconcile, offsite backups to check, new code to deploy (My Account > Request My Information and Delete My Account features)

What fun. I can hardly wait.

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

Various database scripts to run, Mail Chimp to reconcile, offsite backups to check, new code to deploy (My Account > Request My Information and Delete My Account features)

Deploying things like that on a Friday before bank holiday will be fun too. 

in my office, paperwork with personal data on it needs to be signed out and back in.  pointless to a criminal,  they would copy it out of the office and use it then sign it back in.

further phone out the data to the team needing it, they write it down, and there is no sign out or sign in.

pointless.

17 hours ago, DTMark said:

I’m having flash backs to the millennium bug ,maximum panic followed by feck all