• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Lawns

So I mowed my lawn today and then treated it with a 3 in one.

The lawn had lots of moss in it after the winter and now it's gone black very quickly after the treatment.

So now I need to resow grass seed.

Any tips to get the seed to grow??

Just now, JackieO said:

The lawn had lots of moss in it after the winter and now it's gone black very quickly after the treatment.

Don't oil the lawn?

Posted (edited)

Keep it watered as weather is pretty warm and dry, slight top dressing over the seed with sifted soil, helps with keeping the birds form eating it all  and with germination. Seems to work, I've tried the very light fleece as a top cover and that worked even better for smaller patches,

2 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Eh?

d17b2e56-cd45-4e33-b537-cd22d6097433.jpg

Edited by onlyme

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JackieO said:

If there's loads of moss, then it sounds as if the ground is sopping wet.  Is it a clay base?

Edited by Dave Beans

Posted (edited)

Pop Digger blasted the daisies and dandelions two weeks ago. Nothing happened for a few days. Cut the grass a few days later and there is not a single alien invader left.

Edit yes to scarifying.

Edited by shindigger

1 minute ago, Dave Beans said:

If there's loads of moss, then it sounds as if the ground is sopping wet.  Is it a clay base?

Yep it's clay and bottomless in winter though dry now.

Just now, JackieO said:

Yep it's clay and bottomless in winter though dry now.

If you put it down again, it'll probably happen again..Worst case scenario means that you'll have to put a land drain in..

3 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Reclassify moss as a form of grass and don’t kill it again...

My bastard neighbour has that point of view lol

Posted (edited)

You can also put down a 20-10-10 type fertiliser...It'll go absolutely mental after you've chucked a bit of that down...but you dont put it down immediately...Wait for it to shoot first..

Edited by Dave Beans

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, onlyme said:

d17b2e56-cd45-4e33-b537-cd22d6097433.jpg

Ah ok :)

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Not being a horticulturalist, the only 3-in-1 I know is oil. 

Ah ok :)

Edited by JackieO

Just now, Dave Beans said:

If you put it down again, it'll probably happen again..Worst case scenario means that you'll have to put a land drain in..

There's a clay base to our lawn and when we moved in there was significant moss in  the lawn but it had been left for quite a while untended.The moss has gone entirely  and not really done much more than moss treatment for a couple of years and a bit of forking and top dressing (adding a bit of sand helps too when forking/top dressing).

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Scarify it.

What, like jump out and shout "Boo!" at it?

In related news, anybody know anyone who has taken on a Greensleeves franchise? It strikes me as possibly the thinnest idea for a business going. I see the vans driving around a lot but I've never heard of anybody actually using them.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

There's a clay base to our lawn and when we moved in there was significant moss in  the lawn but it had been left for quite a while untended.The moss has gone entirely  and not really done much more than moss treatment for a couple of years and a bit of forking and top dressing (adding a bit of sand helps too when forking/top dressing).

The problem with sand, is that I can't see any nutritional value in it..Mushroom compost, yes..

Edited by Dave Beans

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Keep it watered as weather is pretty warm and dry, slight top dressing over the seed with sifted soil, helps with keeping the birds form eating it all  and with germination. Seems to work, I've tried the very light fleece as a top cover and that worked even better for smaller patches,

Sounds like a plan thanks.

So scarify, seed, top cover aka fine compost over seed and water like mad?

I have no advice to offer about lawns. Here’s mine :CryBaby:

I’ve been out roving all day today at Kircudbright and a beach so as usual the lawn has been neglected 

45E7305D-7111-45FC-99ED-6D0D81BB4D35.jpeg

Moss killer (lawn sand), wait 10-14 days till its turns black.

Scarify to remove moss (if you don't kill it first you will just spread it round the garden)

Seed (top soil / dress if you want but not essential). Pigeons can only eat a small amount! Don't roll, the loose soil from a decent scarification should be enough for it to germinate.

Water daily if hot / dry... wait. Then wait some more. At least 2 weeks, maybe 3 for decent results. Use shady variety of seed as required.

As Dave Beans says, that fertiliser will work, although read the label about watering it in. You can burn / kill the grass by walking on fresh fertiliser and grinding it into the lawn. Only 2-3 applications per year, as you can create other problems.

5 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

You can also put down a 20-10-10 type fertiliser...It'll go absolutely mental after you've chucked a bit of that down...but you dont put it down immediately...Wait for it to shoot first..

Oh ok. This is really good stuff thanks :)

16 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I've just done similar.

Started with this stuff to kill the moss: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DJ48NW6

Then scarified and raked it out

Then decent grass seed: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YB4YPKC/

Then water and fertilise: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Westland-Safe-Lawn-Green-Organic-Fertiliser-Box-150m2---5-25kg/p/153225