• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Air pollution

Wood burners and all that.

Big fuss on the radio - LA being flipped the turd to tell middle class people to get rid of their wood burner.

Bar some rare weather situation, I dont think wood burners are too bad.

However, all this talk about wood burners and the like ignores the elephant - cars, mainly large 4x4 and diesels.

If UKGOV is serious about air pollution they need to be monitoring pollution points - and anyone who walks about any ton knows the places where smog builds up - and ban cars over a certain emission level from entering.

Get rid of all those bell ends driving shiny 4x4 into towns on the school run andthe like.

Just now, spygirl said:

Wood burners and all that.

Big fuss on the radio - LA being flipped the turd to tell middle class people to get rid of their wood burner.

Bar some rare weather situation, I dont think wood burners are too bad.

However, all this talk about wood burners and the like ignores the elephant - cars, mainly large 4x4 and diesels.

If UKGOV is serious about air pollution they need to be monitoring pollution points - and anyone who walks about any ton knows the places where smog builds up - and ban cars over a certain emission level from entering. Stop importing massive numbers of people, many of whom bring their clapped out old bangers with them 

Get rid of all those bell ends driving shiny 4x4 into towns on the school run andthe like.

Fify. :)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, One percent said:

What does that mean?  If it’s over a certain age where it didn’t have a dpi, you are ok? 

Yes. It is a test to make sure the DPF is working ie smoke then it isn't all non-dpf vehicles will potentially smoke to some extent until up to temperature.

I wouldn't necessarily be sure it isn't about getting people to not keep their cars so long. I seem to think they started issuing penalties for horse manure on the roads in London, when the population were showing stubborn resistance to getting rid of their horse and carts, in a literal case of same shit different century. 

Edit to add: A pre DPF vehicle has always been an MOT fail for what's deemed excessive smoke

Edited by SNACR

27 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Wood burners and Bar some rare weather situation, I dont think wood burners are too bad.

One of our neighbours has a wood burner. It’s on all day when temperatures fall below 15 degrees and just kicks out smoke. We can’t open our windows or dry our clothes outside and if I spend a couple of hours gardening I reek of smoke. The council have told me there is nothing I can do apart from taking a private ‘nuisance’ prosecution out. The trouble with wood smoke is that it drops to ground level and just hangs about.

9 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Yes. It is a test to make sure the DPF is working ie smoke then it isn't all non-dpf vehicles will potentially smoke to some extent until up to temperature.

I wouldn't necessarily be sure it isn't about getting people to not keep their cars so long. I seem to think they started issuing penalties for horse manure on the roads in London, when the population were showing stubborn resistance to getting rid of their horse and carts, in a literal case of same shit different century. 

Edit to add: A pre DPF vehicle has always been an MOT fail for what's deemed excessive smoke

Cheers.

Im still seeing clapped out old bangers, mainly but not only vans, spewing out clouds of smoke. 

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

One of our neighbours has a wood burner. It’s on all day when temperatures fall below 15 degrees and just kicks out smoke. We can’t open our windows or dry our clothes outside and if I spend a couple of hours gardening I reek of smoke. The council have told me there is nothing I can do apart from taking a private ‘nuisance’ prosecution out. The trouble with wood smoke is that it drops to ground level and just hangs about.

Sounds like there might be something wrong with the type or condition of wood he's burning.

11 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Sounds like there might be something wrong with the type or condition of wood he's burning.

Environmental officer visited him and confirmed it was a defra approved stove using dried wood. He saw the smoke billowing out now black tar covered steel chimney but said legislation was not available to do anything about it.

A Doctor friend of mine who works for PHE reckons there is a growing long term issue with particulate exposures in homes coming from scented candles and obviously its very gender specific - wimmin. 

Wood stoves are bloody awful -partly because people don't know how to operate them and use wood with too high a moisture content. 

22 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Environmental officer visited him and confirmed it was a defra approved stove using dried wood. He saw the smoke billowing out now black tar covered steel chimney but said legislation was not available to do anything about it.

Yes he can - the description you give sounds like a statutory nuisance - He can use Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 however this would require you to give witness statements if they have to enforce the abatement notice. 

I wonder if he was an EHO or an el cheapo replacement - 'Community Protection Officer'

We have an old fashioned open fire..  hate to think what the environment agency would make of our emissions.

Fortunately the new laws aren't going to be imposed retrospectively,   plus we live out of town so probably not much of a health issue anyway (other than perhaps to ourselves - but I'll take that risk for the occasional nice winter hot chocolate by the open fire).

59 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Yes he can - the description you give sounds like a statutory nuisance - He can use Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 however this would require you to give witness statements if they have to enforce the abatement notice. 

I wonder if he was an EHO or an el cheapo replacement - 'Community Protection Officer'

My other option is using a drone to deploy a can of expanding foam :-)

The problem is pretty much always behaviours, not at the fundamental level.

People in the country use woodburners -- there's loads of wood around and mains gas isn't usually available.  Fine by me.  Mad to use a woodburner (or coal) in a city or town.  I'd say they could just say 'you won't get a license if you're on mains gas, otherwise it should be doable'.  I'd also suggest that most people have homes that are too warm in winter (average mid-winter dwelling temperatures have moved from about 16 degrees in the late 70's to about 21 degrees in 2010)

Similarly with cars.  The problem isn't 4x4s or taxis or trucks.  It is that there is far to much travel going on.  Those school run kids should be walking.  People should live closer to work.  People shouldn't be buying so much crap that they don't need.

Just now, dgul said:

People in the country use woodburners -- there's loads of wood around and mains gas isn't usually available.  Fine by me.  Mad to use a woodburner (or coal) in a city or town.  I'd say they could just say 'you won't get a license if you're on mains gas, otherwise it should be doable'.  I'd also suggest that most people have homes that are too warm in winter (average mid-winter dwelling temperatures have moved from about 16 degrees in the late 70's to about 21 degrees in 2010)

Similarly with cars.  The problem isn't 4x4s or taxis or trucks.  It is that there is far to much travel going on.  Those school run kids should be walking.  People should live closer to work.  People shouldn't be buying so much crap that they don't need.

Great post but the basis of it is the use of ‘common sense’ and that is something to be avoided at all costs.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

Common denominator..  there's just too many people   :)

1 hour ago, OurDayWillCome said:

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Thats it in a nut shell, he is a thick lazy/lazy/cheapskate fucker burning shite/mdf/chipboard or unseasoned wood.

A properly operated stove burning dry hardwood should produce little if any visible smoke.

49 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Another concocted issue from our overlords and of we have to pay :wanker:

Energy companies pissed off so many people have switched to wood/coal, cutting them out the picture and preventing them from fucking you over.

8 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Thats it in a nut shell, he is a thick lazy/lazy/cheapskate fucker burning shite/mdf/chipboard or unseasoned wood.

A properly operated stove burning dry hardwood should produce little if any visible smoke.

The fast growing hardwoods can be nasty as they are full of moisture. Poplar produces a very bitter smoke.

10 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

The smoke is a nuisance. It's the same as a bonfire! 
Doesn't matter what the cause is surely?