• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

hawaiiiiiii

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://news.sky.com/story/sulphur-and-caramelised-foliage-living-on-hawaii-under-the-threat-of-kilauea-11381377
At just before 1.48 the ground is a bit soft and they shouldn't go any further... 

You wouldn't get me going anywhere near it.

I'd love to be there right now. It's for that reason that E.Kamchatka has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. I've been on recent larva flows in Costa Rica and Iceland but have yet to see a current eruption. One of my dreams. I love seeing the power of the Earth, whether that is an earthworm or a volcano, all awesome stuff.

Edited by Hopeful

So ... where does all this lava go then?  I kind of half expect a load of cleaners to turn up and shift it all off roads like it was a spilt lorry load of beans or something.  I guess they will have to re-do google route planners.

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I'd love to be there right now. It's for that reason that E.Kamchatka has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. I've been on recent larva flows in Costa Rica and Iceland but have yet to see a current eruption. One of my dreams.

Is the Hawaii volcano a type that doesn't generate pyroclastic flows? Can't see how people could live so close to it if that could happen....

21 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Is the Hawaii volcano a type that doesn't generate pyroclastic flows? Can't see how people could live so close to it if that could happen....

Correct. The Lava is very runny so it's unlikely for enough pressure to build up enough to get the explosive release needed for a pyroclastic flow. 

I'd love to go there and see it.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

I'd love to be there right now. It's for that reason that E.Kamchatka has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. I've been on recent larva flows in Costa Rica and Iceland but have yet to see a current eruption. One of my dreams. I love seeing the power of the Earth, whether that is an earthworm or a volcano, all awesome stuff.

I was 40 km away from a small eruption on mt etna a few years ago and the windows were rattling all night with the explosive force of  the eruptions. Like a very loud thunderstorm.

5 hours ago, Hopeful said:

There's loads of earthworms down my allotment. I wouldn't say there that powerful but they do make little worm casts.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

As per NTB's comment - does create lots of fissures down from the cone where the law flows, a few days ago I saw a map of previous fissure locations and at the time seemed to be following the same pattern / location of flows, so it is not exactly as if they don't know where the really vulnerable locations are. There are steam events though that can be somewhat explosive where water bearing rock comes in contact with the magma body,

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

There's loads of earthworms down my allotment. I wouldn't say there that powerful but they do make little worm casts.

Imagine being an earthorm and having to burrow through soil. Quite a bit of power there.