DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Church

sarahbell

Caravan Monster

Still not sold xD that one has been around for a while. Grade II listed with lapsed residential permission, no thanks. Sometimes walk the dog through the graveyard of a much smaller church conversion near here and the man who lives there lurks in the porch at 7 in the morning smoking cigarettes and looking like a vampire. Seem to remember they paid around a £1m for it and have tried to sell a few times to no avail. The southern elevation of the Todmorden one looks to be overshadowed by the hill and trees, bet it hardly gets any sun and is cold and damp. I think it is vaguely possible to do residential conversions on big churches with living areas in the aisles and possibly a floor put in the clerestory if it has decent windows. But it would have to be very cheap to reflect the conversion work and having to live with the planning constraints, graveyard and the freaky religious stuff in your home.

I know the former owner of that church. Bought at auction for £140,000 earlier in 2013 he sold it for the £180,000 you see listed on rightmove. 

The house required £300,000 to £500,000 back then for it to be finished but the running costs are so great no-one will give you a mortgage on it - if its got a tower no-one valuer will give you more than a £1 valuation,

ThoughtCriminal
7 minutes ago, eek said:

I know the former owner of that church. Bought at auction for £140,000 earlier in 2013 he sold it for the £180,000 you see listed on rightmove. 

The house required £300,000 to £500,000 back then for it to be finished but the running costs are so great no-one will give you a mortgage on it - if its got a tower no-one valuer will give you more than a £1 valuation,

Yes, some of the smaller Methodist buildings make great homes but this is just a money pit.

I'm curious what difference having a tower makes?

1 minute ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Yes, some of the smaller Methodist buildings make great homes but this is just a money pit.

I'm curious what difference having a tower makes?

Cost - repairs to those have a £5-10k scaffolding bill before you discover what the problem and the cost will be.

ThoughtCriminal
2 minutes ago, eek said:

Cost - repairs to those have a £5-10k scaffolding bill before you discover what the problem and the cost will be.

Ahhh, right.

Are you compelled to repair it if it's grade II?

12 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Ahhh, right.

Are you compelled to repair it if it's grade II?

Depends on how proactive the council...

sancho panza
On 23/05/2018 at 06:52, Caravan Monster said:

Still not sold xD that one has been around for a while. Grade II listed with lapsed residential permission, no thanks. Sometimes walk the dog through the graveyard of a much smaller church conversion near here and the man who lives there lurks in the porch at 7 in the morning smoking cigarettes and looking like a vampire. Seem to remember they paid around a £1m for it and have tried to sell a few times to no avail. The southern elevation of the Todmorden one looks to be overshadowed by the hill and trees, bet it hardly gets any sun and is cold and damp. I think it is vaguely possible to do residential conversions on big churches with living areas in the aisles and possibly a floor put in the clerestory if it has decent windows. But it would have to be very cheap to reflect the conversion work and having to live with the planning constraints, graveyard and the freaky religious stuff in your home.

And the roof.........aaand the rooooof.

1 hour ago, eek said:

Interesting.I think you have to be dumb /naieve or both to buy a money pit like that.

1 hour ago, eek said:

Depends on how proactive the council...

A lottery where you could lose a fortune or make abasolutely nothing.ergo why play?

You'd think most people would remember the appeals that a lot of churches had for donations to repair roofs and tower.  Guess the last owners weren't church goers

ThoughtCriminal
9 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

That place looks like a money pit on steroids. Tower aside, just imagine what it would cost to renovate even one of those stained glass windows!

Now stained glass I do know about as a buy and sell architectural salvage for a living.

The short answer is, it costs a bloody fortune!

On 13/06/2018 at 20:59, Dipsy said:

No point buying a church unless you get the graveyard to lurk around in as well.

Yes I don't need twigs in urns! The outside "night garden" appeals to me.

• 2 months later...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65798341.html

The kitchen is Doimo from Italy and features two dishwashers, a boiling tap, full height fridge and freezer, quartz worktop, four ovens and hob and a walk-in larder. 

I was never impressed by conversions of churches to flats.  Having seen now a conversion to a single house, I realise that flats were not all that bad after all.

My dislikes are:

- keeping original stained windows creates a constant reminder how this was never meant to be a home

- Windows are way too high off the floor; creates church / prison feel about it

- I am quite a fanatical agnostic but having large open space which still looks very much like a church just doesn't make me feel wanting to live there

- it is way too big to be a house: there is definitely more than one full day of cleaning per week in there   

1 hour ago, MrXxx said:

Whenever I see partly completed project whether it be a house, car, van conversion etc, I always think a) `pup`, and b) `money pit`.

(c) divorce due to (a) and (b)

39 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

(c) divorce due to (a) and (b)

Yup.

My parents bought a near-fully renovated house.  The couple who had renovated it split owing to the stress of the renovation hence the sale.

How on earth has that got permission to be converted into a family home, look at it for fucks sake its a great big bleedin church. Surely between the person applying, the architect, the planning department one of them must have thought its a bit of a thankless task converting it into a warm and cozy houses. Look at the size of all those bloody windows.

Now im not saying picture no.1 of the graveyard would be a little off putting for a family with kids, but it'd be a little off putting for a family with kids

If i cant be maintained as a church knock the thing down.

1 minute ago, Banned said:

How on earth has that got permission to be converted into a family home, look at it for fucks sake its a great big bleedin church. Surely between the person applying, the architect, the planning department one of them must have thought its a bit of a thankless task converting it into a warm and cozy houses. Look at the size of all those bloody windows.

Now im not saying picture no.1 of the graveyard would be a little off putting for a family with kids, but it'd be a little off putting for a family with kids

I posted this one on another thread.  Nice church, nice location.  Estimated cost of the necessary structural work to make it safe and usable: £4m.

IMG_4475JPG.jpg&key=9d938d44a1361bca8c44

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stpauls-church-truro-demolition-fears-1269028

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I posted this one on another thread.  Nice church, nice location.  Estimated cost of the necessary structural work to make it safe and usable: £4m.

IMG_4475JPG.jpg&key=9d938d44a1361bca8c44

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stpauls-church-truro-demolition-fears-1269028

The church could sell it to some form of business with the council agreeing to charge zero rates ever, thatd be about the only way someone would pump that kind of money into it.

Yes its a quaint looking church but we're already taxed to fuck to pay to prop up the housing bubble if all these churches go then so be it. 

Alternatively the church could sell some land to people like me and then theyd have the money to repair them, i believe if they fall into disrepair the council can force them to repair it ... as in the case with residential housing.

24 minutes ago, Banned said:

It is not the job of a planner to say you are bloody stupid, the job of a planner is simply to ensure the law is followed. If its in a residential area there is nothing in law to stop it being converted...

Just now, eek said:

It is not the job of a planner to say you are bloody stupid, the job of a planner is simply to ensure the law is followed. If its in a residential area there is nothing in law to stop it being converted...

Fair comment, but for a conversion surely it got to reach energy efficiency regulations. Hence at that point the cost would have had to be raised.

1 minute ago, Banned said:

Fair comment, but for a conversion surely it got to reach energy efficiency regulations. Hence at that point the cost would have had to be raised.

Likewise nowt to do with planning - that's building control...

Archived