DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Church

sarahbell

21 minutes ago, Banned said:

The church could sell it to some form of business with the council agreeing to charge zero rates ever, thatd be about the only way someone would pump that kind of money into it.

Yes its a quaint looking church but we're already taxed to fuck to pay to prop up the housing bubble if all these churches go then so be it. 

Alternatively the church could sell some land to people like me and then theyd have the money to repair them, i believe if they fall into disrepair the council can force them to repair it ... as in the case with residential housing.

The CofE is trying to sell it but it's listed.  They're not appealing to have it mended in order to put it back into use as a church.

From what I've read, and it may not be in that story, the likeliest compromise is that the tower comes down (it's far and away the biggest cost to repair) and then it's given or sold for a nominal sum to a community group.

7 minutes ago, Banned said:

Never knew they were 2 separate departments.

Oh yes. And our council allows you to have remote building control. So some random company in kent has responsibility for houses built in Failsworth.

9 hours ago, Banned said:

The church could sell it to some form of business with the council agreeing to charge zero rates ever, thatd be about the only way someone would pump that kind of money into it.

Yes its a quaint looking church but we're already taxed to fuck to pay to prop up the housing bubble if all these churches go then so be it. 

Alternatively the church could sell some land to people like me and then theyd have the money to repair them, i believe if they fall into disrepair the council can force them to repair it ... as in the case with residential housing.

What about a help to buy scheme for first time buyers where they would spend the rest of their lifetime paying for a pile of bricks....oh no, they have that one `covered` already!

Bricks & Mortar
10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nice church, nice location.  Estimated cost of the necessary structural work to make it safe and usable: £4m.

Someone should make an offer, subject to planning permission to demolish and build something sensible.  Hopefully, the council see it's likely future with a £4m repair bill is increasing disrepair and eventual ruin.

Archived