• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Belgium’s Walloon region bans animal torture

Finally.  About effing time somebody did.

Jews and Muslims predictably outraged that they can't continue to merrily slit the throats of live animals.

How this isn't already illegal in Britain with its high animal welfare standards escapes me.

Belgium’s Walloon Region has voted to ban ritual slaughter (Jewish ‘shechitah’ and Muslim ‘halal’), forbidding any slaughter in which the animals are not stunned first. Critics call the move an attack against the “freedom of religion for Jews and Muslims.”

Jewish communities say the ban in Belgium’s southern French-speaking region violates the fundamental right to practice their faith, insisting that biblical slaughter practices (without stunning animals first to reduce their pain) means that animals have to be conscious when being killed.

Animal rights activists are strongly against the slaughter of an animal before it is rendered insensible to pain.

Needless to say the Jewish spokesman chucks in Nazis and WWII to bolster their desire for more animal torture.

https://www.rt.com/news/387595-belgian-outlaws-kosher-slaughter/

Just now, One percent said:

What's wrong with becoming a vegetarian 

Chick peas! As much as I like them, I can inflate a Zeppelin the morning after!

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Chick peas! As much as I like them, I can inflate a Zeppelin the morning after!

And it's incredibly hard to eat a decent diet.  I was vegetarian for a year or so, was ridiculously thin and my lip kept splittting and bleeding in cold weather.  I had to stop it for my health; looking back it was lack of protein.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

And it's incredibly hard to eat a decent diet.  I was vegetarian for a year or so, was ridiculously thin and my lip kept splittting and bleeding in cold weather.  I had to stop it for my health; looking back it was lack of protein.

I don't think a vegetarian diet should be a severe and horrible tasteless diet! Like a punishment of tofu.:o

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I don't think a vegetarian diet should be a severe and horrible tasteless diet! Like a punishment of tofu.:o

If you sensibly do proeprly constructed meal plans to and shop for the week accordingly then you probably could eat well.

I just stopped eating meat.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you sensibly do proeprly constructed meal plans to and shop for the week accordingly then you probably could eat well.

I just stopped eating meat.

I did that aswell, for a month or so, and then I went out for a big steak.

22 minutes ago, One percent said:

For once I'll be serious.

Nothing at all 1%. That's the logical and simple answer. And that is also the truth. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But I need to un-pick 52 years of conditioning that meat is good for me / makes me strong / puts lead in my pencil / blah blah blah...!

And let's face it - you can't ever un-smell a bacon-sandwich...!

I wish I could eat less meat when I contemplate the industrial slaughter that goes on every hour, of every day, of every month, of every fucking year - just so we can throw half of it in the friggin' bin...!

I have "friends" that come out with shite like "Oh, I simply couldn't eat meat off the bone". 

Or, "Oh, you eat offal, how quaint"...

Well yes, I do.

If an animal has to die for me to live, then I am going to eat the flesh, drink the blood, boil the bones, and eat as much of that poor beast as I conceivably can.

I'll eat the good bits, but I'll also snack on the liver, the kidney, the heart, the lung, the cheeks, the udder, the trotters and the fucking tongue.

I'll even pay for McDonald's to serve me a patty of eye-balls, arse-holes and pan-fried bull's-knackers so deep is my programming.

But when I stand in front of my maker, I can say one thing in my defence.

An animal dies for me - I do it at least give it the respect of eating as much of it as I can.

The meat that is thrown away each day in the Western world is our ultimate shame...

:(

XYY

Black pudding, kidneys, liver, haggis (lungs and various other bits of a sheep) all good and I make a point of eating them for the same reason as Mr XYY - other people turn their noses up at them so they risk being binned.

I also never leave meat on my plate.  I'm quite happy to leave chips or spuds but never meat as I cannot bear to see it be thrown away.

I haven't tried tripe but if Lidl start stocking it them I'm in.

45 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just an aside, but did you know that "vegetarian" translates from Mohawk to "poor hunter". 

You are all missing my point.  I'm not a vegetarian. A pork pie from a proper butcher that has been cooked fresh that day I'd nectar of the gods (not every god mind).  A well cooked fillet steak.  I was in a local pub the other week and as pubs do, had free nibbles on the bar. One of which was black pudding. Wonderful. 

The point I was trying to make was that the people of Walloon have two choices now.  Either eat meat that has been humanely slaughtered or do without and stick to a vegetarian diet.  It's not as if they will starve, or indeed is anyone suggesting they starve.  The suggestion is that they treat animals with respect and humanely. 

Aw bugger, even snowy thinks I'm a vegetarian.

look, I don't wear sandals with socks, weirdly home knitted stripey jumpers or crochet lentils. 

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Black pudding, kidneys, liver, haggis (lungs and various other bits of a sheep) all good and I make a point of eating them for the same reason as Mr XYY - other people turn their noses up at them so they risk being binned.

I also never leave meat on my plate.  I'm quite happy to leave chips or spuds but never meat as I cannot bear to see it be thrown away.

Black Pudding - "You wouldn't eat it if you knew what went into it" - Er, yes, I fucking do...!

Liver and Onions. The "Hairy Bikers" recipe works to perfection. Better than fillet-steak.

Tongue. "That's a cow's tongue you know"...! Yes, I know. It tastes like the best corned-beef you'll ever eat...

And kidney. Its partnership with the cheapest-cuts of "steak" have made it the undisputed king of the pies for as long as I've been alive.

And haggis is simply the finest food available.

Condemned cell...?

Last meal..?

Haggis, Tatties and 'Neeps please...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm a snout to tail eater, but tripe is a bit bland. Soaks up flavours , so is fine in s strong curry. If not cooked well, you might as well be eating your wellies 

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

Black Pudding - "You wouldn't eat it if you knew what went into it" - Er, yes, I fucking do...!

Liver and Onions. The "Hairy Bikers" recipe works to perfection. Better than fillet-steak.

Tongue. "That's a cow's tongue you know"...! Yes, I know. It tastes like the best corned-beef you'll ever eat...

And Kidney. Its partnership with the cheapest-cuts of "steak" have made it the undisputed king of the pies for as long as I've been alive.

And haggis is simply the finest food available.

Condemned cell...?

Last meal..?

Haggis, Tatties and 'Neeps please...

XYY

I'm not with you there on the haggis but tongue, love it. My mam used to make it and let it set in a pirex bowl.  Tip it out and slide it up wonderful. 

Like a bit of tongue me.

Haggis is the food of gods. I've even made my own when living in less enlightened areas of the world.

You need a sheep, oatmeal, a sharp knife, a sledgehammer and some jumbo sized condoms.

6 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

I'm a snout to tail eater, but tripe is a bit bland. Soaks up flavours , so is fine in s strong curry. If not cooked well, you might as well be eating your wellies 

I can eat it - but agree that a 1970s polystyrene ceiling-tile has more flavour, and perhaps a slightly better texture.

My ex-wife loved the stuff all covered in brown-sauce.

And I'm sure your wellies would've tasted much the same with half-a-bottle of HP splattered on them Cap'n..!!!

;)

XYY

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

According to www.arabnews.com, it is already banned in Denmark, Switzerland and New Zealand. But I thought all NZ lamb was halal?

Denmark I can believe, I've not seen any halal bacon but I might not be shopping in the right places.  

Another reason then not to buy New Zealand lamb.  

6 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Like a bit of tongue me.

Haggis is the food of gods. I've even made my own when living in less enlightened areas of the world.

You need a sheep, oatmeal, a sharp knife, a sledgehammer and some jumbo sized condoms.

My mother and grandmother used to go to the stall on the market for tripe, think it came home rolled in greaseproof paper and would then sit huddled over it at the table with a bottle of vinegar.

The consumption of it was almost ritualistic.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Denmark I can believe, I've not seen any halal bacon but I might not be shopping in the right places.  

Another reason then not to buy New Zealand lamb.  

Halal bacon would a difficult challenge!!

I've said it before, but IMO all meat from religious slaughter should be labelled as such:

"This meat came from an animal that was not killed in a humane fashion, under religious exemption xxx.xxx of the Welfare of Animals Act"

I don't like that there are animals that are slaughtered in this inhumane fashion, but I suppose I will tolerate it.  However, I don't want to eat this meat myself, or, more practically, encourage its practice by allowing slaughterhouses to simplify their paperwork just by pushing through all animals as halal/shechita.