• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Posted (edited)

My PC is tiny, but was cheap, and I like it, it's a notebook,

a £99 Acer Cloudbook 11. 32gb storage, 2gb RAM, 64 bit Windows 10, and a 32gb microSD memory card permanently attached in a tiny adaptor, oh, and it has a 1.6ghz dual core(?) processor. Was in the Microsoft Black Fri thing a year or so ago, works really well for dealing with files, emails, internetting and watching videos, Excel and Word too. I love it, and love the fact it was so cheap. No fan and SSD memory so no problems with dust and knocks, quiet too, HDMI port, memory card slot, two USB, one is USB3, small charger, long battery life, matt screen, blah blag. Had to put a USB stick in it to update the last time but it's running ok now, I think.
Unless I was editing video or audio, or Photoshoppy kinda stuff I would buy another little notebook like this again. I do use paint.net sometimes, and it works fine, everything just works. 

^^ That bit copied from something I wrote elsewhere, just thought it might be an idea for a thread...

I suspect everybody will have a PC which is significantly more fancy than mine. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding the last bit

When my desktop PC finally reaches the end I'll replace it with a laptop. I'll get my dining table back for it's original purpose then.

I was researching laptops when I was having trouble with the Windows 10 update.

5 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

My PC is tiny, but was cheap, and I like it, it's a notebook,

a £99 Acer Cloudbook 11. 32gb storage, 2gb RAM, 64 bit Windows 10, and a 32gb microSD memory card permanently attached in a tiny adaptor, oh, and it has a 1.6ghz dual core(?) processor. Was in the Microsoft Black Fri thing a year or so ago, works really well for dealing with files, emails, internetting and watching videos, Excel and Word too. I love it, and love the fact it was so cheap. No fan and SSD memory so no problems with dust and knocks, quiet too, HDMI port, memory card slot, two USB, one is USB3, small charger, long battery life, matt screen, blah blag. Had to put a USB stick in it to update the last time but it's running ok now, I think.
Unless I was editing video or audio, or Photoshoppy kinda stuff I would buy another little notebook like this again. I do use paint.net sometimes, and it works fine, everything just works. 

^^ That bit copied from something I wrote elsewhere, just thought it might be an idea for a thread...

I suspect everybody will have a PC which is significantly more fancy than mine. 

My main 'MS Windows' machine runs Windows RT.  Beat that.

58 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

When my desktop PC finally reaches the end I'll replace it with a laptop. I'll get my dining table back for it's original purpose then.

I've not had a desktop for about 10 years. 

Recently got in to Thinkpads, not the consumer tat ones (Lenovo have diluted the brand too much). Absolutely brilliant machines, mainly for their ability to be upgraded and generally messed around with that at a level you can't with most laptops. 

Have a couple of older ones, T420 and X220, but I recently convinced the boss to get me a new one X270 (the latest is x280 but they fucked that one up by removing the standard ports), was so impressed got myself one. £400 on ebay, would have never spent so much on a second hand computer, but they are so good it's well worth the money. Think that's the most I've spent on a computer in the last 15 years.

My old Toshiba is falling apart. When it finally dies I have a very old MacBook Pro on which I will replace the broken trackpad, put a ssd in it and load it with windows. I could be persuaded to load some Linux version, but am slightly daunted as have never used it before!

Mine is a Dell of ancient vintage. Nothing about it compels me to upgrade. I have a Lenovo laptop with W10 and there is no discernible difference in performance. 

1 hour ago, gilf said:

Recently got in to Thinkpads, not the consumer tat ones (Lenovo have diluted the brand too much). Absolutely brilliant machines, mainly for their ability to be upgraded and generally messed around with that at a level you can't with most laptops. 

I got a Thinkpad T60 in 2006, up until last month it was still perfectly usable, main reason I liked it was the IPS display with 4:3 aspect ratio. I find it nicer than the current widescreen aspect ratio.

Unfortunately it didn't like tea. So now I have to decide whether to replace the motherboard, maybe upgrade it at the same time or just let it go. 

4 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I got a Thinkpad T60 in 2006, up until last month it was still perfectly usable, main reason I liked it was the IPS display with 4:3 aspect ratio. I find it nicer than the current widescreen aspect ratio.

Unfortunately it didn't like tea. So now I have to decide whether to replace the motherboard, maybe upgrade it at the same time or just let it go. 

You're right about 4:3 screens being superior -- I don't understand the mania for widescreen.  I kept on with an x61 for this very reason, but it eventually wasn't able to keep up.

Posted (edited)

My desktop is 10 yrs old. 2008  Mac Pro, but upgraded with 4 1Tb hard drives, 250gb SSD for the OS, and 32gb RAM,  new graphics card, and new WiFI and bluetooth cards to enable it to be patched to run Sierra. Fingers' crossed it keeps going, still perfectly fast enough for Premier Pro

Mac book pro and Air are 7 and 3 years old

An HP and a Dell PC are still running XP, must be 15 yrs old, they are pretty shit and only used to run dedicated software and a vital Dos prog xD

Edited by Hopeful

That tool is handy, I was wondering where to invest some cash.

This desktop PC is an old HP one in which the motherboard, processor and other "innards" have already been swapped out. Actually I think the only thing that remains from the original machine is the DVD drive.

The test shows that the processor - about five years old - is in the 48th percentile, the 2D graphics aren't great (old GeForce graphics card) and 3D is poor.

Memory is slow. Disk is quite fast.

The machine is used for work and for e.g. watching YouTube stuff, playing music now and again and posting on here. It doesn't really need to be brilliant.

Were I into playing games, I know it wouldn't be up to the task - it would need a better graphics card.

I did replace the primary drive with an SSD a short while back and the difference is phenomenal. So I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to spend some cash to breathe life into an older machine. As long as you have a day to spare to reinstall everything.

That tool suggests that replacing the memory would probably be the next thing to spend some cash on here. Although I will wait and replace the processor and motherboard, and the memory, together when I "notice it's getting a bit slow".

And perhaps that's the point - you get used to what you have and don't know how good it could be if you had, or did spent more on it. I tend to upgrade it when it is "slow". That tool is useful to point you in the direction of where money could be best spent.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

My desktop is very old. But the recent update to windows 10 has apparently solved the issue of it not powering up straight away. 

Win 10 shutdown doesn't really shutdown, it hibernates. If you press "restart" instead of "shutdown" you'll see how long a full boot up really takes.

(not that it's a problem)

5 hours ago, UmBongo said:

"What are you doing, Dave? Activate shutdown sequence. DAISY, DAISY..."

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

Capture.png

Your willy is a bit bigger than mine..   

Very nice! :D People don't realise what it's like to use a decent computer.

BMark_2.jpg.4c80980de7b233a9b85c763a705a03aa.jpg

7 hours ago, DTMark said:

I did replace the primary drive with an SSD a short while back and the difference is phenomenal. So I'd recommend that to anyone who wants to spend some cash to breathe life into an older machine. As long as you have a day to spare to reinstall everything.

That has to be the best upgrade ever.

I built a PC with my son a couple of years ago: i5 6500 processor, GeForce 1060 graphics card, 8GB ram, SS hard drive. Cost less than £800 all in and was above the 85th centile for performance. I'll never buy another off the shelf PC again.

5 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Very nice! :D People don't realise what it's like to use a decent computer.

It's true..  but the monitor makes the biggest difference.  

Makes the boobies that much bigger

Well, after a few days without a laptop, I rushed over to Argos and got a cheapie bright blue 'piece of shit' (according to my son).  

I don't care.  I was desperate :CryBaby:

20 minutes ago, Miss S said:

Well, after a few days without a laptop, I rushed over to Argos and got a cheapie bright blue 'piece of shit' (according to my son).  

I don't care.  I was desperate :CryBaby:

Let me guess, he was happy to criticise but not to spend a little time, come with you and help you make a better purchase.