• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Children not learning to swim

This is basic isn't it?

Reporting that one in two eleven year olds cannot swim the basic twenty five yards when they leave primary school.

What's taking priority over this then?  Citizenship lessons?

I remember all trooping down to the town pool once a week; pyjamas and retrieving rubber bricks from the bottom of the pool and everyone had to reach the minimum; no exceptions.

I do wonder why, historically so many people were carelessly dropping bricks in ponds that it was thought some national training programme on their safe retrieval was required.

I think it may be a cultural thing. Just saying. 

Also, I don’t see it is the job of the school to teach swimming. Is there nothing that parents take responsibility for these days?

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Also, I don’t see it is the job of the school to teach swimming. Is there nothing that parents take responsibility for these days?

What is school for?

I often bemoan how little they managed to teach me in the huge amount of time that I attended, but at least I got taught to swim.

:)

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

What is school for?

I often bemoan how little they managed to teach me in the huge amount of time that I attended, but at least I got taught to swim.

I was in a swimming club as were my kids. Gotta leave the parents some responsibility 

31 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I remember all trooping down to the town pool once a week; pyjamas and retrieving rubber bricks from the bottom of the pool and everyone had to reach the minimum; no exceptions.

We did the same, but I left without being able to swim. Do you think I should have been held back to this day?

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was in a swimming club as were my kids. Gotta leave the parents some responsibility 

I agree..  though obviously most parents won't bother.

I guess the advantage of the school doing it is that they can stick all the kids in one bus and take them at times the pool would otherwise be empty.

The alternative being parents trying to take their kids to busy after school clubs or weekends when pools are typically much busier with leisure users. Also around here parking tends to be a problem as well.  The bus thing gets around the issue of millions of cars.

1 minute ago, eight said:

We did the same, but I left without being able to swim. Do you think I should have been held back to this day?

No,  just forced to wear armbands  :P

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I agree..  though obviously most parents won't bother.

I guess the advantage of the school doing it is that they can stick all the kids in one bus and take them at times the pool would otherwise be empty.

The alternative being parents trying to take their kids to busy after school clubs or weekends when pools are typically much busier with leisure users. Also around here parking tends to be a problem as well.  The bus thing gets around the issue of millions of cars.

No,  just forced to wear armbands  :P

Last summer I had a day off and took my son to the Council pool in Enfield - it was full of young men (appeared to be recent enrichment arrivals). I certainly wouldn't want a teenage girl going in there at that time (or a an accompanied boy for that matter) 

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Last summer I had a day off and took my son to the Council pool in Enfield - it was full of young men (appeared to be recent enrichment arrivals). I certainly wouldn't want a teenage girl going in there at that time (or a an accompanied boy for that matter) 

I’ve stopped going to my local pool. Shame as I’m a good swimmer 🏊‍♀️ 

TBH most of the school curriculum is totally arbitrary. There are all manner of things they could teach but don't, and a load of stuff that is considered important that I would ditch completely. RE lessons? in 2018?? Really???

10 minutes ago, eight said:

Not sure, I don't think I'd trust you to look after my bricks though.

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Were they swimming?

Or just stood roudn the side, wanking?

1 minute ago, eight said:

TBH most of the school curriculum is totally arbitrary. There are all manner of things they could teach but don't, and a load of stuff that is considered important that I would ditch completely. RE lessons? in 2018?? Really???

I never took RE..  it was optional against history or geography.

RE should be a 1 hour lesson.  Tops.

25 minutes ago, One percent said:

It is a requirement of the national curriculum:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-physical-education-programmes-of-study/national-curriculum-in-england-physical-education-programmes-of-study#swimming-and-water-safety

Swimming and water safety

All schools must provide swimming instruction either in key stage 1 or key stage 2.

In particular, pupils should be taught to:

• swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
  • use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
  • perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

So is teaching kids to think independently but I don’t see much of that happening 

I can sort of understand the need for it, but then why the different strokes? School were never concerned to check if I could run backwards or not.

I think it's more a case of cross-subsidisation of public sector facilities myself.

4 minutes ago, eight said:

I can sort of understand the need for it, but then why the different strokes? School were never concerned to check if I could run backwards or not.

I think it's more a case of cross-subsidisation of public sector facilities myself.

What you talkin about Willis?

It takes different strokes to rule the world.

Posted (edited)

You never did three legged races? Wheelbarrow races? Sack races? Egg and spoon race?

Did you go to "special school"?

Edited by Hail the Tripod

31 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

What is school for?

One thing I remember about being brought up in Australia was that they didn't fuck around when it came to teaching you how to swim and be physically competent. 

Quite a large chunk of the syllabus in primary schools etc. was learning to be confident with the outdoors, recognise what was what and to be able to swim well. As you got a bit older this tended to morph into an almost obsessive focus on sport which could be pretty tedious but I can't fault the stuff I learned in my younger years there. It's served me well even now.

I think it's a throw back to times when kids played outside and got into trouble..   it was seen as a good form of exercise and a way to keep kids safe when they were playing in rivers and reservoirs.

In the modern world it probably isn't necessary..   people just don't have those kinds of past times anymore.

Young kids are sent to carefully invigilated kids activity clubs to do football, karate etc.

Teenage kids sit inside and play computer games 

Older teens get drunk

Young adults drink, play computer games maybe cycle / run.

Older adults have a midlife crisis and probably get some Lycra and a push bike.

Very old adults walk the dog.

Other than the odd family trip to a beach in Mallorca where Lifeguards monitor the fun,  there's probably a very low probability of people ever getting near enough to water to ever put themselves at risk of needing to swim.

I bet the reduction in school swimming classes has more to do with the thousands of CRB and risk assessment forms that now need completing before asking kids to go to a place where they have to undress

23 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I think it's a throw back to times when kids played outside and got into trouble..   it was seen as a good form of exercise and a way to keep kids safe when they were playing in rivers and reservoirs.

In the modern world it probably isn't necessary..   people just don't have those kinds of past times anymore.

Young kids are sent to carefully invigilated kids activity clubs to do football, karate etc.

Teenage kids sit inside and play computer games 

Older teens get drunk

Young adults drink, play computer games maybe cycle / run.

Older adults have a midlife crisis and probably get some Lycra and a push bike.

Very old adults walk the dog.

Other than the odd family trip to a beach in Mallorca where Lifeguards monitor the fun,  there's probably a very low probability of people ever getting near enough to water to ever put themselves at risk of needing to swim.

While I don't disagree with the general point...

My 9 year old has fallen into a lake 3 times already, including once on a school trip in February. Fortunately he's more or less immune to cold and is an extremely capable swimmer.

Just now, Southmartin said:

I bet the reduction in school swimming classes has more to do with the thousands of CRB and risk assessment forms that now need completing before asking kids to go to a place where they have to undress

Not to mention the potential for legal action if one of the kids says any teacher looked at them in a funny way whilst in pants/trunks (or in between)

39 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

You never did three legged races? Wheelbarrow races? Sack races? Egg and spoon race?

Did you go to "special school"?

Haha! We did those.... on sports day. Not for an hour a week, and competence was not demanded.