• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Children not learning to swim

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eight said:

TBH most of the school curriculum is totally arbitrary. There are all manner of things they could teach but don't, and a load of stuff that is considered important that I would ditch completely. RE lessons? in 2018?? Really???

RE should be taught, IMO, as an understanding of the basics of the world's major religions helps understand other aspects of culture - music, art, philosophy, literature etc. 

The music of Bach, for example, cannot really be appreciated unless one understands what it is about. A lot of poetry does not make real sense unless one has at least a passing knowledge of the King James Bible and the Book of Common Prayer. 

Western civilization was founded on a combination of Judeo-Christian religion, and the philosophy of the Greeks and Romans, with a bit of Hinduism and Buddhism along the way. If we leave that out because we are 'not religious' or because it is 'old fashioned', we might as well leave out the study of history as well. 

However, in practice it would probably not be taught like this. I seem to recall most of my RE lessons were about copying out maps showing the flight of the Jews of into Egypt, or unstructured chats about the meaning of life with vague hippy teachers in corduroy jackets. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

I was never much of a swimmer. I don't float as I don't have enough blubber. The last "swimming" I did was escaping from an upturned fake helicopter in a bath in Aberdeen. Norwegians do it in the real sea, er, apparently.:/

11 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I was never much of a swimmer. I don't float as I don't have enough blubber. The last "swimming" I did was escaping from an upturned fake helicopter in a bath in Aberdeen. Norwegians do it in the real sea, er, apparently.:/

As opposed to the aral sea?

1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

As opposed to the aral sea?

I had to look that up! A mate of mine found his wife in Kazakhstan. She looks a bit oriental, and is very clever.

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

Well, it is the greatest country in the world. 

Sir, have you never heard of YORKSHIRE?:CryBaby:

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I had to look that up! A mate of mine found his wife in Kazakhstan. She looks a bit oriental, and is very clever.

If she's old enough she might even be able to remember what the Aral Sea used to look like, when it had water....

1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

If she's old enough she might even be able to remember what the Aral Sea used to look like, when it had water....

Ah seas with no water. like driverless cars, and tasteless food?

3 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

And Microsoft "Help"

This troubleshooter cannot explain why you have no internet access. Would you like to leave feedback online?

This internet intrusion into my life gets me a bit wound up. I can talk to random people I don't think much of, on short wave radio, but I can turn them off!

On 24/05/2018 at 10:39, Frank Hovis said:

I view it through my living by the sea and there being eighteen deaths around the SW coast last year, all men.

A lot of people take to sea without being able to swim including many professional fishernen.

If you will never do any more than paddle then yes it doesn't matter.

About 20 years ago I was on holiday in Newquay. One day an air sea rescue helicopter was buzzing back and forth looking for a fisherman who was missing. He turned up, drowned, the next day.

Ironically, around the headland at Fistral beach, for all of that week, they were holding the World Life-Saving Championships.

On 24/05/2018 at 07:50, SNACR said:

I do wonder why, historically so many people were carelessly dropping bricks in ponds that it was thought some national training programme on their safe retrieval was required.

They were clearly dropping these bricks at night, as one had to retrieve them in pyjamas.

Until the 20th century, many, perhaps most, sailors could not swim.

The sea was regarded as mysterious, treacherous, and full of monsters, and recreational swimming in the sea was not considered safe until late Victorian times.

(And even to this day, most aircraft pilots cannot fly unaided.)

I can swim, school swimming lessons but ultimately taught by a patient uncle. I was raised near a river and the sea so it was a necessity. One sad memory of the town I live in is a procession of three white coffins of under tens on the same day. They ignored decent parents, went to the river and ended up drowned.

When older and living where the sea was just over a road from the house I made an effort to make sure my kids could swim. All parents were the same and all told the kids to NEVER go out on the shore unless accompanied by an adult. Thankfully no drownings occurred.

I don’t like swimming but at least I can do it although I doubt I’d fare well in strong currents etc. Unlikely that will happen to me because I always check tide times at beaches and only walk in the sea edge when the tide is coming in.

Both kids can swim but like me neither of them bother doing it these days.

I do think everyone should be able to swim.

People are often caught out by rip tides, and ought to understand them and what to do if caught.

If you find yourself being pulled away from the shore by a current, don't try swimming directly to the shore. Swim parallel to the shore for a bit to escape the rip current first.

2 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

I dug out my swimming medals today.

Remember when they made you swim in your pyjamas, make a float out of them and retrieve a brick from the bottom of the pool!

Yes. Loved it. I could not envision any scenario where this might be useful skills to have though. 

When going through military training, I was surprised by the number of people that couldn't pass the swimming test, requiring 200m swim, 2 mins treading water and then getting out without assistance (tbf, the sides were a fair bit higher than most public pools but still). 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, One percent said:

Yes. Loved it. I could not envision any scenario where this might be useful skills to have though. 

It's to teach you to regulate air in your lungs

ie if you dont let some out you will hardly be able to make it to the bottom to retrieve the brick 

also keeping enough air to make it back up 

btw: people who think sending their kids to swim club will turn them into swimmers is a big misnomer, under 11's do not have the strength to catch the water with a bent elbow, so they are taught a rapidly exhausting straight arm thrash which will be lucky to cover 25mtrs and likely burn all the energy long before making the shore. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

11 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

(And even to this day, most aircraft pilots cannot fly unaided.)

I just flew in here from Manchester, and boy, are my arms tired!

I saw an advert for flight attendants once.

Under 'essential' characteristics, it included:

Must be able to swim...