• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Old aerial photos

Yesterday I had someone knocking on my door trying to flog an aerial photograph from "the archive", whatever that is, of my house in about 1980. He said it was from the 1950s but obviously wasn't going by the fact it was colour and the car parked on the drive looked like a 70s era Astra. I thought it was a scam or he was a pikey or something so said I wasn't interested but actually very much am :o

Does anyone know where I can find another copy of this photo and what "the archive" is? Have looked online, can't find anything.  Only thing I can think of is contact the local Historical society for the village but doubt they'll know either.

In the early 90's my next door neighbour gave me an ariel photo which showed a few houses including his and mine. He didn't want it any more and thought I might be interested. I think I still have it somewhere. Apparently this came from a door to door salesman. The company would get ariel photos taken and then speculatively go door to door flogging them.  I'm guessing this would be in the 80's. 

My bet is that it originates from then. Possibly the negatives have resurfaced and been sold on. Maybe it's just a single photo that turned up in a house clearance. Either way, I don't think there is a public archive of any sort that flogs such photos.

1 minute ago, NTB said:

In the early 90's my next door neighbour gave me an ariel photo which showed a few houses including his and mine. He didn't want it any more and thought I might be interested. I think I still have it somewhere. Apparently this came from a door to door salesman. The company would get ariel photos taken and then speculatively go door to door flogging them.  I'm guessing this would be in the 80's. 

My bet is that it originates from then. Possibly the negatives have resurfaced and been sold on. Maybe it's just a single photo that turned up in a house clearance. Either way, I don't think there is a public archive of any sort that flogs such photos.

I got the impression he was selling more than just my house as he was sorting through files etc to find the photo of mine and also said he'd be back in the area later so probably flogging a few of them. Maybe I should put up an advert somewhere.

18 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Yesterday I had someone knocking on my door trying to flog an aerial photograph from "the archive", whatever that is, of my house in about 1980. He said it was from the 1950s but obviously wasn't going by the fact it was colour and the car parked on the drive looked like a 70s era Astra. I thought it was a scam or he was a pikey or something so said I wasn't interested but actually very much am :o

Does anyone know where I can find another copy of this photo and what "the archive" is? Have looked online, can't find anything.  Only thing I can think of is contact the local Historical society for the village but doubt they'll know either.

You can have this one if you want, it's from the 60's :

50s-rabbit-ear-antenna.jpg

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Here’s a free old aerial photo

wpf2dadce6_01_1a.jpg

Gah! Beaten to it!

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I got the impression he was selling more than just my house as he was sorting through files etc to find the photo of mine and also said he'd be back in the area later so probably flogging a few of them. Maybe I should put up an advert somewhere.

My wife bought one of these a good 15 years ago - bloke just randomly knocked on the door but I guess they just speculatively took lots of pictures and tried to sell them - as we live near a a small airfield I guessed it was someone making money to try and pay for his light aircraft flights.

What did annoy me was that he asked for £25 and Mrs Plan paid full amount. If ever there was something that could have been negotiated down, this was it!

Was a good picture though and still got it.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

My wife bought one of these a good 15 years ago - bloke just randomly knocked on the door but I guess they just speculatively took lots of pictures and tried to sell them - as we live near a a small airfield I guessed it was someone making money to try and pay for his light aircraft flights.

What did annoy me was that he asked for £25 and Mrs Plan paid full amount. If ever there was something that could have been negotiated down, this was it!

Was a good picture though and still got it.

Was that for an older photo or a recent one, at the time? I didn't ask the price but I assumed it would be much more than £25!

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Was that for an older photo or a recent one, at the time? I didn't ask the price but I assumed it would be much more than £25!

It was an older one.

We also bought a current one a few years later.

Why should it be more than £25 - to anyone but you it is pretty much worthless.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It was an older one.

We also bought a current one a few years later.

Why should it be more than £25 - to anyone but you it is pretty much worthless.

I just assume doorstop sellers are rip off merchants by default. :D

30 minutes ago, NTB said:

I knew a housing officer in Manchester whose bf did hot air balloons and took photos and then went and sold them...

Actually it seems like this might be an entrepreneurial business model.

Back in the olden days they'd fly around and take pictures of all the 'relatively nice' places, then later drive round and get people to buy a copy.  Every farm in the land would have a framed photo of the property done in this way.  And they weren't cheap -- but people understood that they were paying for something they couldn't get any other way.

So, presumably there are all these historical photos of nice places up and down the country.  Now, way back then an older photo couldn't be sold, but...

Now all the old houses and farms have been sold and bought by nice wealthy people.  They won't have the picture from the 70's -- it'll have gone long ago.

So, they get to sell an historical photo of their place!  Get their money all over again!

I'm actually quite impressed.

[I'll be less impressed if the pictures are all public domain quality, etc]

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Didn't the govt photograph the entire country from the air for the millennium? Sounds the sort of fluff that Bliar would spend our cash on.

I do vaguely remember some proto version of Google streetview in my youth. Think it was laserdisctastic.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Actually it seems like this might be an entrepreneurial business model.

Back in the olden days they'd fly around and take pictures of all the 'relatively nice' places, then later drive round and get people to buy a copy.  Every farm in the land would have a framed photo of the property done in this way.  And they weren't cheap -- but people understood that they were paying for something they couldn't get any other way.

So, presumably there are all these historical photos of nice places up and down the country.  Now, way back then an older photo couldn't be sold, but...

Now all the old houses and farms have been sold and bought by nice wealthy people.  They won't have the picture from the 70's -- it'll have gone long ago.

So, they get to sell an historical photo of their place!  Get their money all over again!

I'm actually quite impressed.

[I'll be less impressed if the pictures are all public domain quality, etc]

Well, pretty much every older house I looked at before buying this one had a photo of the place in the 60s/70s proudly framed on their wall somewhere. These weren't big houses or farms either. I am sure the previous owners of my home had one too but there was a "contentious probate" as they call it, ie it was probably chucked.

47 minutes ago, eight said:

I do vaguely remember some proto version of Google streetview in my youth. Think it was laserdisctastic.

That was even older wasn't it? I can't remember what it was about but recall watching BBC progs where they were excitedly saying how the laser discs would be available at libraries and, IIRC, schools. But I think it was a complete flop. Wonder if anyone bothered using them.

That was a long time ago though wasn't it - mid to early 90's if not 80's?

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That was even older wasn't it? I can't remember what it was about but recall watching BBC progs where they were excitedly saying how the laser discs would be available at libraries and, IIRC, schools. But I think it was a complete flop. Wonder if anyone bothered using them.

That was a long time ago though wasn't it - mid to early 90's if not 80's?

Laser Discs were around in the early 80s - at that time they were considered by some to be a serious rival to VHS/Betamax video. I remember going to Dixon's with  my parents to look at them but in the end they decided to go with VHS because although the picture quality of laser discs was better, they could not be used for recording, only playing pre-recorded films. 

Aerial photography sales go back decades - Earl Nightingale's bestselling 1950s entrepreneurial book 'The Strangest Secret' talks about them as a good business idea but has to explain how it works so it must have been fairly new then. 

Why don't you just buy a drone and do the photos that way?

We have gigabytes of images and video of our resort from drones that people have brought along with them and sent to us.

12 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Why don't you just buy a drone and do the photos that way?

We have gigabytes of images and video of our resort from drones that people have brought along with them and sent to us.

Yes, and get a time machine for the older photos.

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yes, and get a time machine for the older photos.

Or just use Google Earth / Apple Maps. The satellite pic available right now was mid 2014, when I was still constructing the site. It's great to look back at!

52 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Laser Discs were around in the early 80s - at that time they were considered by some to be a serious rival to VHS/Betamax video. I remember going to Dixon's with  my parents to look at them but in the end they decided to go with VHS because although the picture quality of laser discs was better, they could not be used for recording, only playing pre-recorded films. 

Aerial photography sales go back decades - Earl Nightingale's bestselling 1950s entrepreneurial book 'The Strangest Secret' talks about them as a good business idea but has to explain how it works so it must have been fairly new then. 

The most compelling aerial photos I have ever seen were in the regimental museum in Cardiff Castle from WW1 taken over the battlefields. Staggeringly clear B&W images. I wanted to use them in a documentary but the then curator of the museum - think that is who he was - wanted a silly amount of money to use them so that came to nothing and the images no doubt remain unseen filed away. Maybe even forgotten.

That guy must be long dead. I felt somewhat angry towards him as he came across as a jobsworth - not because he blocked my documentary but because he was stopping a wide audience seeing amazing / shocking photos.