• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

Autographs - why the fuck

9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Mentioned on other thread.

Ive never had the inclination to ask fir one.

Dont understand why anyone would.

So, whos got whos autograph.

I see no value in them or any other form of collecting “stuff”

What would you actually do with an autograph? Take it out your album and look at it now and again? My hero is Nigel Farage, however I can't see much joy in having a piece of paper saying "Dear Great Guy, you really are great, love Nigel Farage!".

I worked with a TV presenter who asked everyone famous that he interviewed for an autograph. He would then get a picture of the celeb, stick it in a frame with the autography next to it and sell it for a very nice profit. Or he would take a photo of the celeb along to the interview and get them to autograph it... then pop it into a frame... add a price tag..

That's why a lot of people do it. In Hollywood, and around the West End, you get lots of autograph hunters who hound the same actors again and again because they are selling the autographs. This is why you see video of some actors getting angry with autograph hunters - the same people are often hounding them and the actors know that they are basically running a nice business from their free autographs.

It is quite common for such people to approach others - even kids - and make up some like about themselves being too shy to go ask the celeb for an autograph so could you please go and get one for me.

I have a photo of the current Dalai Lama with his personal signature on it. It was given to me as a gift by someone I knew who had met him. Perhaps I should frame it and put it on eBay. xD

11 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I have a photo of the current Dalai Lama with his personal signature on it. It was given to me as a gift by someone I knew who had met him. Perhaps I should frame it and put it on eBay. xD

You haven't visited the Dalai Lama  ebay shop then?

17 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Xi Jing!

We have a splittest.

Mao boot place booked.

If anyone ever listens to Simon Mayo's Radio 2 Confessions section of the show there was a very good one about autographs last week.

A chap is in London and asks his wife to join him. They dine at the Ivy. He always takes his autograph book with him everywhere. At the Ivy he spots 'Sir Ben Kingsley' and eventually plucks up the courage to disturb his meal and ask for his autograph. 'Sir Ben' takes the book from him and asks the chap what film that he appeared in was his favourite. In the heat of the moment the chap couldn't recall any films that Sir Ben was in but was able to recall the 'Thunderbirds' film. 'Sir Ben' looks at him incredulously, chap snatches the book out of his hand and he and his wife quickly settles the bill and scarper. Except it wasn't Ben Kingsley. It was Patrick Stewart. xD

These actors need the air taken out of their sails from time to time. Could have been worse - he could have mistaken Patrick for Yul Brunner or Telly Savalas (from beyond their graves).

Who loves ya baby? :D

I can understand if there is someone you particularly admire you might want an autograph..  like I can see a Harry Potter fanatic treasuring a signed copy of the book thinking they could pass it down to their kids and tell then it is signed by the author herself.

If my parents gave me a signed copy of Little Grey Rabbit or the Secret Seven for example..  I would have valued that as a child and even as an adult.

Just collecting autographs for collectings sake..   don't really get that at all  o.O

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Mentioned on other thread.

Ive never had the inclination to ask fir one.

Dont understand why anyone would.

So, whos got whos autograph.

My sister used to love to go and wait by the stage door for whoever we'd seen - holidays we always had to go and see a show one evening. Saw Peters and Lee and they waved at my little sister who was falling asleep in the front row. :-/
Dire. I hated it. Used to go and sit in the car with everyone else and have to wait ages for her to come back.

I have a signed menu from a dinner at which Humphrey Lyttleton played; signed by the great man himself.  He also wrote Best Wishes from Gatwick airport as there was a reference to this on a then recent ISIHAC.

Ok, I’ll come clean. 

The only autograph I ever asked for was from billy Bragg. 

Tbf and in my defence, it was when he was a ‘working class hero’ and in his defence, he did come from barking. 

How the fuck he turned into a sjw with his pedigree is beyond me 

I sell autographed memorabilia on eBay, I can do you a photo signed by Adolf Hitler if you want.

Doctor Who and Star Trek stuff sells really well, for some reason.

Sometimes I think I know why aliens don't visit us.

It's because they're been watching us from afar and have decided that we're such a random, bizarre and inexplicable species that we're best left to ourselves.

I have never wanted one but even now I think celebs do get hassled for them just as much with the added annoyance of posing for a selfie as well.

I have got some signed books and DVDs but they were all given to me as gifts by the author or someone in them. The most random, I can recall, is probably a signed DVD of Bob Odenkirk's (of latter greater fame as Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad) comedy sketch show series (not great I seem to recall) he gave me after we chatted when on the same flight years ago which I actually said it's ok there;s no need to sign it which caused a bit of awkwardness with a sense of revealing I had no idea who he was or his fame level but not sure why he expected some clearly British guy to know who he was as I don't think he was known in this country then at all.