• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

US Juries Awarding Damages

Recommended Posts

This is not a system we have here, fortunately IMO because it throws up regular amounts of mentalness.

I used to see some awards back in my insurance days and remember the, possibly apocryphal story, of a jury asking for advice on whether a billion was bigger than a million when awarding damages.

Here's one today, rape case, rapist convicted and in prison. Victim sues the company that had hired him as a security guard for negligence (though I struggle to see why that's relevant, other than it supplied him with the gun) and gets awarded, yes you've guessed it, $1bn.

The security company isn't worth that, let alone having that kind of money, but will be closed down anyway with lots losing their jobs and the owners losing their shirts for something that IMO was hardly their fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44244684

Juries awarding damages is a totally mental system and I'm amazed that they still have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is not a system we have here, fortunately IMO because it throws up regular amounts of mentalness.

I used to see some awards back in my insurance days and remember the, possibly apocryphal story, of a jury asking for advice on whether a billion was bigger than a million when awarding damages.

Here's one today, rape case, rapist convicted and in prison. Victim sues the company that had hired him as a security guard for negligence (though I struggle to see why that's relevant, other than it supplied him with the gun) and gets awarded, yes you've guessed it, $1bn.

The security company isn't worth that, let alone having that kind of money, but will be closed down anyway with lots losing their jobs and the owners losing their shirts for something that IMO was hardly their fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44244684

Juries awarding damages is a totally mental system and I'm amazed that they still have it.

I dunno.  It’s a bit lacking in detail (unusual for the MSM I know) but it seems that he was on duty and in his guard’s uniform.  So, the security firm have some responsibility. They needed to be more careful whom they employed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

I dunno.  It’s a bit lacking in detail (unusual for the MSM I know) but it seems that he was on duty and in his guard’s uniform.  So, the security firm have some responsibility. They needed to be more careful whom they employed 

But $1bn?

I won't give the link as it's from the Guardian but Porton Down veterans who had chemical weapons tested upon them got £3m.  Not each, between them.

That seems a big stingy but $1bn is ludicrous; Dr Evil territory.

 

Hundreds of veterans who were subjected to tests at the Porton Down chemical warfare installation are to be awarded compensation totalling £3m, the defence minister, Derek Twigg, announced today.

In a written statement to MPs, Twigg offered the government's first full apology to the servicemen, saying: "The government sincerely apologises to those who may have been affected."

The defence minister said the MoD would pay £8,300 to each of the 369 veterans - a total of just over £3m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree, the pay out is barmy.  It is America though and they do things differently there  o.O

But there seems to be no move to reform that ludicrous system.  When BP had that Gulf of Mexico blow out juries were awarding damages to businesses in gulf states that could not reasonably have been affected by the pollution but claimed anyway.

It's a stupid system from a nation which generally has a lot of common sense and I'm surprised that there has been no serious movement to scrap it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In a written statement to MPs, Twigg offered the government's first full apology to the servicemen, saying: "The government sincerely apologises to those who may have been affected."

The defence minister said the MoD would pay £8,300 to each of the 369 veterans - a total of just over £3m.

Yeah, but they sincerely apologised. That's got to be worth ten mil on its own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.