• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Crap Offers

I was looking at fish tanks and I saw one for sale at £60 from Argos. I then saw an advert for Argos saying "spend over £50 and get a £5 Argos voucher". I went online to check availability of the fish tank and it's now £70.....

I assume they bump the prices up when they have the voucher offer.....

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have had a shit day so Mrs Plan offered to cook dinner.

Now that is a crap offer.

xD

I can empathise. As someone who cooks lovely meals for myself from scratch (approx 99% of meals) it’s nice when a meal is offered.

What a let down when you sit down and look at the crap on the plate and then endeavour to eat it and say thank you.

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

xD

I can empathise. As someone who cooks lovely meals for myself from scratch (approx 99% of meals) it’s nice when a meal is offered.

What a let down when you sit down and look at the crap on the plate and then endeavour to eat it and say thank you.

Not trying to brag but I can’t understand how anyone can be a bad cook with a little effort. It ain’t exactly rocket science. I love trying out new recipes. 

My fav at the moment is Spanish tapas. A lot of work as there are a lot of different dishes. But I love doing it. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Not trying to brag but I can’t understand how anyone can be a bad cook with a little effort. It ain’t exactly rocket science. I love trying out new recipes. 

My fav at the moment is Spanish tapas. A lot of work as there are a lot of different dishes. But I love doing it. 

Yep, not rocket science to cook or assemble nice food but unfortunately I think being unable to cook is rife.

I was brought up learning to cook at home and also had proper cooking lessons at school.

When daughter was at school I was enraged when she got disciplined for throwing a cheap white bread tuna sandwich with margarine in the bin. Teacher said it was wasteful! I made an appointment to see teacher and told her daughter threw the sandwich in the bin because it was trash. We made our own bread, used butter and didn’t eat cheap tuna. Teacher tried to defend her teaching saying that people needed different tuition and a lot was basic. Rubbish! If you can’t make a sandwich you have no hope said I. Teach them how to cook a meal. It never happened in my daughters school. In the last two years I wrote a letter and refused to pay the £12 per year for stuff that was going to be binned. Probably because my daughter was doing very well at school I was never chased for the money.

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Yep, not rocket science to cook or assemble nice food but unfortunately I think being unable to cook is rife.

I was brought up learning to cook at home and also had proper cooking lessons at school.

When daughter was at school I was enraged when she got disciplined for throwing a cheap white bread tuna sandwich with margarine in the bin. Teacher said it was wasteful! I made an appointment to see teacher and told her daughter threw the sandwich in the bin because it was trash. We made our own bread, used butter and didn’t eat cheap tuna. Teacher tried to defend her teaching saying that people needed different tuition and a lot was basic. Rubbish! If you can’t make a sandwich you have no hope said I. Teach them how to cook a meal. It never happened in my daughters school. In the last two years I wrote a letter and refused to pay the £12 per year for stuff that was going to be binned. Probably because my daughter was doing very well at school I was never chased for the money.

No, it's because your van keeps moving.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

You were lucky. I had your daughter’s experience in my domestic science classes.  Toad in the hole with tinned sausages.  Cottage pie with smash. 

My mum was disgusted. 

I was lucky as both my mum and gran were excellent cooks and even though I wasn’t that interested at the time, I learnt though osmosis. 

I wish I had paid more attention to how my gran made bread as it is the best I have ever had and have not been able to replicate it 

7 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

I think it was @sarahbell that said 80% of gardening knowledge had been lost in the last century.

I would imagine the percentage lost in what we once called home economics is a similar amount.

Wasn't me I don't think but sounds about right.
People don't know their arse from their elbow but can get to level 1245 on candy crush soda saga.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Great Guy said:

I was looking at fish tanks and I saw one for sale at £60 from Argos. I then saw an advert for Argos saying "spend over £50 and get a £5 Argos voucher". I went online to check availability of the fish tank and it's now £70.....

I assume they bump the prices up when they have the voucher offer.....

Check out Argos ebay - often cheaper for the same goods. Also, if you have a Nectar card you can go to Nectar.com and activate the ebay deal for this weekend - basically 40p of Nectar points for every tenner you spennd. Might save you 2 or 3 quid.

You will also need to activate Nectar on your ebay account as well.

Is it this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tetra-Starter-Line-Aquarium-Despicable-Me-Edition-30-Litre-Argos-ebay-/332604398114

Loads of them:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Argos?keywords=aquarium&aspectFilter={}&sortOrder=BestMatch

Edited by The Masked Tulip

My shell club card.

I've been diligently swiping it for a few years now to build up some points. 

It's shite for a number of reasons.

1 - It doesn't actually tell you how to check your points and the process is very convoluted. For some reason I have two accounts, one contains my points and I can't access it for some reason. The other is a blank account that I can access but there's nothing on it.

2 - The customer service consists of a bloke in Bangladesh reading from a script. This man has less of a fucking clue than me.

3 - I checked and discovered that to accrue fifty pounds worth of points, I had to spend ten thousand quid. I still don't know how many points I have because can no longer be arsed to look.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Wasn't me I don't think but sounds about right.
People don't know their arse from their elbow but can get to level 1245 on candy crush soda saga.

To be fair, getting to Level 1245 on Candy Crush is quite impressive. I've come close myself to that number on numerous occasions but my concentration falters, usually at the precise moments when Jeremy Kyle reads out the DNA tests on the telly - I love that bit. 

On 25 May 2018 at 20:27, One percent said:

Agreed, if you can read you can cook. I'm enjoying cooking curries from scratch at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Agreed, if you can read you can cook. I'm enjoying cooking curries from scratch at the moment.

Excellent. I’ve never had much success there. I’ve book marked the curry site suggested by @Carl Fimble but not tried them yet 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Excellent. I’ve never had much success there. I’ve book marked the curry site suggested by @Carl Fimble but not tried them yet 

I'm not sure how authentic they are but I've been working my way through The Hairy Bikers curry book. Since cooking my own I've no desire to go back to grease laden curry restaurants. They are quite involved though, no bunging stuff in the oven and forgetting about it - it's all go on the hob.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I've tried a few from Carl's link. They are just spice blends so no great magic but they are very good, as is the price.

Try the beef rendang. It is as good as I can make it from scratch and I have been cooking it for 30 years.

6 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I'm not sure how authentic they are but I've been working my way through The Hairy Bikers curry book. Since cooking my own I've no desire to go back to grease laden curry restaurants. They are quite involved though, no bunging stuff in the oven and forgetting about it - it's all go on the hob.

Same with tapas. Looks like a bomb has hit by the time I’m finished. 

Pas long as they taste good. I’ll look out the book

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I've tried a few from Carl's link. They are just spice blends so no great magic but they are very good, as is the price.

Try the beef rendang. It is as good as I can make it from scratch and I have been cooking it for 30 years.

It’s also the base isn’t it?  I’ll try that beef one. Is it on Carl’s curry page?

Just now, One percent said:

Yep, my rule is "she who cooks it doesn't clean up" so Mr Dipsy gets that joy.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Pas long as they taste good. I’ll look out the book

It’s also the base isn’t it?  I’ll try that beef one. Is it on Carl’s curry page?

Yes. It is in the international section.

I get the impression they are a 'mon and pop' operation so worth supporting.

But you will know when your order arrives. The parcel has an aroma!

13 hours ago, Dipsy said:

The hairy bikers have four hands to most chef's two.