• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

Contradictory Policies

Interesting discussion with a very old school Labour voting family member last night. I was making a strong effort not to have an argument so, looking for some positives in Corbyn, I mentioned that his housing policies are quite appealing on the face of it. To which my relative replied (in a proper Northern accent), "no bloody good building council 'ouses if 'e gives 'em all to foreigners is it?".

I thought the extent of the Labour party's problems in the coming election were overstated but I'm beginning to think things may be even worse for them than the polls suggest.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Interesting discussion with a very old school Labour voting family member last night. I was making a strong effort not to have an argument so, looking for some positives in Corbyn, I mentioned that his housing policies are quite appealing on the face of it. To which my relative replied (in a proper Northern accent), "no bloody good building council 'ouses if 'e gives 'em all to foreigners is it?".

I thought the extent of the Labour party's problems in the coming election were overstated but I'm beginning to think things may be even worse for them than the polls suggest.

Sold out the traditional working class years ago.  At least with the tories you know you will get shafted.  Labour do it whilst pretending to be on your side.

49 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I've never quite understood why the 'working class' call themselves labour and agree with everything in The Sun.

Fiscally left-wing, socially right-wing.

55 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well the Labour Party once represented the working classes.  Don't laugh, I'm being serious. 

It's interesting I was discussing this with my wife yesterday neither of us are from wealthy backgrounds and would have been Labour supporters at one point. I made the point that Labour only seem to represent the benefit class and asylum seekers, people with jobs don't seem to be a priority these days.

3 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

It's interesting I was discussing this with my wife yesterday neither of us are from wealthy backgrounds and would have been Labour supporters at one point. I made the point that Labour only seem to represent the benefit class and asylum seekers, people with jobs don't seem to be a priority these days.

Exactly. And then the tories represent the rich (or those who pretend/would like to be). I guess it's the lib dems then. xD

6 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Exactly. And then the tories represent the rich (or those who pretend/would like to be). I guess it's the lib dems then. xD

Nail on head. I feel my values and way of living make me a dinosaur

1 minute ago, One percent said:

The Libdems have always come across as smug not quite as clever as they'd like you to believe cunts.

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Nail on head. I feel my values and way of living make me a dinosaur

You are amongst friends on here, all 157 of us. xD

1 minute ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

The Libdems have always come across as smug not quite as clever as they'd like you to believe cunts.

Agree. So, who exactly is there out there representing the working class?  It's like we are some massive leper colony that no one wants to go near

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree. So, who exactly is there out there representing the working class?  It's like we are some massive leper colony that no one wants to go near

I think that when in power Labour seemed to be determined to turn workers into the benefit class. What with increasing tax credits so that everyone except me gets them and making housing so expensive millions are on housing benefit paid to buy to let landlords.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

You are amongst friends on here, all 157 of us. xD

There is no working class anymore.

There is benefit class, smug homeowner class and then the rest. The rest are on their own.

1 minute ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I think that when in power Labour seemed to be determined to turn workers into the benefit class. What with increasing tax credits so that everyone except me gets them and making housing so expensive millions are on housing benefit paid to buy to let landlords.

And me.  Never had a penny out of the barstewards other than the paltry 10 quid a week in child benift.  That pails into insignificance when compared to the bennies doled out now.  

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

There is no working class anymore.

There is benefit class, smug homeowner class and then the rest. The rest are on their own.

Well there is me xD

as I see it, there are the following:

• aristocracy
  • landed gentry/ elite (the boundary between this and the above is blurred)
  • upper middle
  • middle class (desperately trying not to slide into the morass of the working class)
  • working class (the vast majority.  Defined as those who, whilst they might have a bit of savings and a house mortgaged/owned outright, are not that many pay cheques away from poverty)
  • the chavs, spongers , unemployed/unemployable 

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well there is me xD

as I see it, there are the following:

• aristocracy
  • landed gentry/ elite (the boundary between this and the above is blurred)
  • upper middle
  • middle class (desperately trying not to slide into the morass of the working class)
  • working class (the vast majority.  Defined as those who, whilst they might have a bit of savings and a house mortgaged/owned outright, are not that many pay cheques away from poverty)
  • the chavs, spongers , unemployed/unemployable 

You've missed out an entire group between mortgaged home owners and Chav's. I think we are called jams. And we are being buggered more than anyone else.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

You've missed out an entire group between mortgaged home owners and Chav's. I think we are called jams. And we are being buggered more than anyone else.

Still working class. Maybe disenfranchised working class?

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Sold out the traditional working class years ago.  At least with the tories you know you will get shafted.  Labour do it whilst pretending to be on your side.

The perfect summary of the state of the nation.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

I've always thought the distinction was that the Tories didn't give a shit about you whereas with Labour it's personal.

I thoroughly agreed with council housing, and the local council running the buses. RedPin has spoken. Mind you, as pointed out, it's not worth building council housing just to house more imported people.

I have to admit Fatchers gifting of council houses, when others in private housing had scrimped and saved to buy, did irk me and I always thought it particularly ungrateful when a certain type of labour supporter would decry it by claiming it took away their ability to strike, once they had a mortgage on their council house. However, I am starting to believe there may have been a bit of cynicism with that involved.

It certainly was always noticeable, in a positive way, on a council estate, if all of one street or cul de sac had bought though. So I probably would be ok with it if they had just built more to replace what they sold.

Edited by SNACR

Yes, but selling off council houses at below market value, may not lead to enough income to build more. I personally know only one person who bought his council house, and for him, it was a good deal. Nice 50s semi with long garden. Not sure a 10 storey up flat in a concrete block would have been so appealing.