• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Some of you might remember my career advice thread for a month or two back. After chatting to some of my yoga instructors I've taken the plunge and booked myself onto a weekend taster course next month with a view to starting a four month full course in September. They normally suggest a year of yoga practice before you train and I'll only have about eight months at that point but one of my instructors does some teaching on that course and says I'll definitely be ready.

I thought I'd start a new thread rather than resurrect the old one so we can chat about yoga in general - I know there are some other yogis on here and some people who were thinking of starting it (plus it's a bit doom and gloom on here at the moment).

7 minutes ago, JackieO said:

It is something you can do in any small space, like a prison cell :ph34r:

Yeah, you only need about 1m X 2m to do all the poses and can do it in a smaller space if needed but would have to drop some off the poses. There's even something called chair yoga that you can do sitting down. Maybe I should offer [redacted] some free lessons.

7 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Will you be able to levitate after the course?

I think that's covered in the 500 hour course - I'm only doing the 200 hour to begin with. I should be able to put my legs behind my head by the end of it though.

Best of luck - interested to see how you get on.

as I mentioned another thread I've been doing physio-reccomended stretches which have been beneficial, but I need to improve my core strength and breathe deeper in general and yoga might help with that.

So it'll be interesting to see how you feel on a day to day basis after a few months of yoga under your belt.

Posted (edited)

Well done you, you need to be top level to be instructing so I will follow with interest.

I knew someone who ran attack exercise (or similar name) classes; she was probably twice as fit as anyone in the class as she had to do it all perfectly whilst watching the participants and correcting / encouraging / shouting at them.

Edited by Frank Hovis

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Best of luck - interested to see how you get on.

as I mentioned another thread I've been doing physio-reccomended stretches which have been beneficial, but I need to improve my core strength and breathe deeper in general and yoga might help with that.

So it'll be interesting to see how you feel on a day to day basis after a few months of yoga under your belt.

Yoga would definitely help you with core strength and breathing. I'd recommend vinyasa yoga - all of the movements are linked to an inhalation or exhalation and you'll do a metric fuck tonne of planks. It's also a pretty good cardio and general strength workout.

Even after four months I'm noticing big changes - most of them in the last month when I switched from yoga at the gym to a proper studio and really upped the number of classes I'm doing. My upper body strength has improved massively - I'm getting well defined and big (for a girl) muscles on my arms which I've never had before even when lifting weights. I'm also a lot more flexible - I can now bend forward with straight legs and put my palms on the floor. Most importantly, I'm a lot happier, am handling stress better and feel a whole lot healthier in general.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well done you, you need to be top level to be instructing so I will follow with interest.

I knew someone who ran attack exercise (or similar name) classes; she was probably twice as fit as anyone in the class as she had to do it all perfectly whilst watching the participants and correcting / encouraging / shouting at them.

With yoga instructing being perfect at it isn't as important as you'd think - it's actually quite encouraging as a student that even the instructor isn't perfect. If the instructor is wobbly doing the balances then you feel less bad about falling over. What you need is a solid grounding in the basic poses and a desire to pass your love of yoga on to others. You also don't have to do everything the students are doing - there's a fair bit of wandering around adjusting people.

24 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Good for you! I used to go to yoga but only really do it when I've pulled something or have stiff muscles now. It is great for improving how your whole body feels if you do it regularly. I've been meaning to get back into it for years...

Do it! You know you'll feel better so it's silly not to.

3 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Time and motivation are a big factor. If I had spare time, I'd probably spend it trying to get in my wife's pants.

Your wife's pants are over rated ffs :Old:

5 minutes ago, JackieO said:

*looks at local yoga studios website*

£10 a session.

How many times a week are needed?

Even once a week will make a difference, it'll just take a while. I think most people go 2-3 times a week. I go 6-7 times a week and am constantly seeing new improvements (I have a monthly membership so can do unlimited classes) - this week I can bend forwards from the hips and put my hands flat on the floor with straight legs plus I haven't been reduced to a gibbering wreck by moving house.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JackieO said:

*looks at local yoga studios website*

£10 a session.

How many times a week are needed?

I go far less often than This Time, 1-2 times a week plus if I go swimming I'll run through a 10-minute routine as a warm-up, but it still makes a huge difference. I'm not aiming at being a teacher....

One thing to remember to focus on is the big exhale with  the clenching/flexing of the diaphragm/perineum/stomach - especially while in the poses with some torsion. I have noticed that not all in the class do this. This is remarkably effective at reinforcing the core muscles and if you're skinny will give you at least a 4-pack with an iron-hard stomach very quickly. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

I tried yoga at a yoga centre. It was too full on,  not in terms of exercise but in terms of bullshit. The teacher was a pretentious idiot who kept waffling on in some language (sanskrit?) and there was a lot of pseudo science going on. I've since learned this type of yoga was at the extreme end - can't remember what its called now. Either way I'm looking to start Pilates soon which I'm told is less mumbo jumbo. 

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I tried yoga at a yoga centre. It was too full on,  not in terms of exercise but in terms of bullshit. The teacher was a pretentious idiot who kept waffling on in some language (sanskrit?) and there was a lot of pseudo science going on. I've since learned this type of yoga was at the extreme end - can't remember what its called now. Either way I'm looking to start Pilates soon which I'm told is less mumbo jumbo. 

Many yoga classes have similar atmosphere to Pilates.

Its only a small number that go full on hippy. 

13 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

You did the right thing in one respect - vote with your feet if they talk shite. But as ccc says there are loads that don't.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

If you go for vinyasa or dynamic yoga the worst you could expect is a couple of Oms at the end and the occasional use of the Sanskrit names for poses. One of my instructors waffles on about Chinese medicine stuff when she teaches yin yoga but is fine when she teaches vinyasa. I'm guessing the studio you go to will make a difference too, I only really know one of the owners of mine but she doesn't go in for that woo stuff at all. Also, if you do yoga at a gym then you're unlikely to encounter much hippy shit at all.

8 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

My guess would be some variant of kundalini yoga as opposed to hatha yoga.

16 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Do a lot of yoga and she may want to get in yours...

Sold. I'll look into it tomorrow. May sign up to the gym too. Unlikely tbh.

14 hours ago, ccc said:

Many yoga classes have similar atmosphere to Pilates.

Its only a small number that go full on hippy. 

Yeah mine was pretty normal. Some average late 30s bird running it and a bunch of old bags attending. The occasional Sanskrit pose name and Om was the extent of it. I'd totally go back if the same class was running, but it's not.