• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Seven weeks of Dr Who, eight hours a day

Well I like Dr Who but eight hours a day?  There are prizes too. Presumably for endurance.

Maybe @DTMark can cancel all his work commitments for the next seven weeks.

When Dr Who was one, sometimes duff, half hour episode Saturday teatime once a week that really wasn't enough.  But eight hours a day for seven weeks takes it to the other extreme.

Good luck Mark.

The Doctor will see you now

Go to the profile of Brian Albert
Mediocre MOBA player. Exceptional cheeseburger eater.
May 23
1*v67hI41PVkRp4_kxLBhzGA.png

Before Daleks became a modern sci-fi staple, and before Weeping Angels made Whovians too scared to sleep, Doctor Who was a bold and quirky sci-fi show with hundreds of classic episodes. Starting May 29, we’re bringing you over 500 of them. You may need a Tardis to watch it all…

Join us and tons of other fans in Twitch chat for over seven weeks of classic Doctor Who, starting with the 1963 episode “An Unearthly Child.” Together we’ll make our way through the first seven Doctors spanning 26 seasons. Come relive (or experience for the first time ever) the origins of the iconic Daleks, the Cybermen, and the trusty Sonic Screwdriver. New episodes will air every day for eight hours starting at 11AM PDT followed immediately by two eight-hour repeat blocks, so no matter where you live you won’t have to miss a beat.

https://blog.twitch.tv/the-doctors-will-see-you-now-370564b877c9

1 minute ago, unregistered_guest said:

A cynical voice in my head says, "But surely the only people who will watch all this are the ones who already own the entire collection on DVD anyway?"

I'm assuming (or did I read?) that there's an accompanying live chat so people can debate cosmetic changes in Cybermen costumes and their theory of who The Master is really.

So yes it will be people who have seen most of them but you get to talk to fellow experts in tremendous detail that you can't either in RL or on a general board like here.

I won't be partaking but as a youngster used to subscribe to Dr Who Monthly Magazine (for some reason the only thing I can remember if it is a piece describing what it's like to be a make up artist by Mykola Pawluk*) and had lots of those Target paperbacks.

* I just remembered the unusual name; turned to video editing and I am very surprised to find that they are in fact a man; there was no picture by the article but I assumed Mykola was a woman's name.  Their Dr Who make up career has been airbrushed from their wiki entry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykola_Pawluk

FWIW: We have series 1-7 of the reboot and some of the Tom Baker DVDs.

(for the kids, of course).

It will be interesting if they show Genesis of the Daleks.

The bit where Davros expounds the glorious destiny of the Dalek race sounds today exactly like a modern Jihadist apologetic - but the Kaleds are supposed to be Nazis...

30 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm assuming (or did I read?) that there's an accompanying live chat so people can debate cosmetic changes in Cybermen costumes and their theory of who The Master is really.

So yes it will be people who have seen most of them but you get to talk to fellow experts in tremendous detail that you can't either in RL or on a general board like here.

I won't be partaking but as a youngster used to subscribe to Dr Who Monthly Magazine (for some reason the only thing I can remember if it is a piece describing what it's like to be a make up artist by Mykola Pawluk*) and had lots of those Target paperbacks.

* I just remembered the unusual name; turned to video editing and I am very surprised to find that they are in fact a man; there was no picture by the article but I assumed Mykola was a woman's name.  Their Dr Who make up career has been airbrushed from their wiki entry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mykola_Pawluk

Ha ha, this brings back memories. Co-incidentally, I was watching a couple of episodes of Mr Bean yesterday afternoon with the little one and as the credits rolled, good old Mykola Pawluk was listed. I did chuckle. Recall tons of shows throughout the 90s with thier involvement.

:-)

12 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Bring back Blake's 7!

All available on YouTube, and that was also my particular favourite.

Series One was a bit hammy but I thought it was great at the time, Series Two superb (IMO anyway) but after the original characters started going - Gan and most particularly Blake* - it really lost its way and I find so many of the later series so poor that there are many I haven't even watched now.

* As Blake's idealism was the whole rationale behind the story.  But the actor didn't want to do more so they had to shift it into various unconvincing subplots.  A great shame as the remaining four of the original team (Jenna, Cally, Avon, Villa) were strong chracters as were Servalan and the original Travis.  The particular lowpoint for me was that ludicrous compter called "Slave" that spoke like a Dickensian servant "very 'umble, master".

Moving on to American space opera...

I have a soft spot for Babylon 5 and felt that the end of the 5th series opened up a whole swathe of interesting story arcs which would have made for compelling viewing.

Firefly - had promise, but it was probably kinder to kill it off when they did. The Serenity movie did an excellent job of moving the bigger story at a more reasonable pace.

Alien Nation - nice concept, but to be blunt, the plots of the TV series episodes were all too predictable.

8 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I already spend 8 watching Trek and another 8 watching Stargate O.o

Take some stims and fit in 8 hours of Babylon 5 :D

8 hours ago, onlyme said:

Desperate to keep the franchise going and for the new Doctor not to be the flop that finishes it?

The fans will keep going until the Sylvester McCoy* episodes, where they'll give up on the whole idea of Dr Who.

[He's actually not that bad, but, like Lazenby's Bond, he gets it in the neck for not being the same as the other chap(s)]

I was at a school fair the other day, and one of the stalls has pictures of TV Characters that you had to name.. I listened to the conversation between two 10 year old boys looking at the new Dr Who:

"Who's that"

"Doctor Who"

(first boy looks confused) "Should be called Nurse Who" - oh how I laughed

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Watched it recently. It has not aged well.

Nor have I.

Watching S2 right now and trying to pretend it's still 1995.

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

The fans will keep going until the Sylvester McCoy* episodes, where they'll give up on the whole idea of Dr Who.

[He's actually not that bad, but, like Lazenby's Bond, he gets it in the neck for not being the same as the other chap(s)]

Bonny. Langford.

Thats what fucked it for me,

Followed by that square faced jolly hockey sticks cock muncher in a jumpsuit.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, unregistered_guest said:

Moving on to American space opera...

I have a soft spot for Babylon 5 and felt that the end of the 5th series opened up a whole swathe of interesting story arcs which would have made for compelling viewing.

Firefly - had promise, but it was probably kinder to kill it off when they did. The Serenity movie did an excellent job of moving the bigger story at a more reasonable pace.

Alien Nation - nice concept, but to be blunt, the plots of the TV series episodes were all too predictable.

The Expanse (which hopefully wont be cancelled after all) is for me the spiritual successor to bablylon 5. I also feel mass effect deserves a mention, yes its a game but its arguably the most rich and detailed sci fi universe ever created.

Edited by goldbug9999

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I much prefer his performance as Radagast in the Hobbit franchise.

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

The Expanse (which hopefully wont be cancelled after all) is for me the spiritual successor to bablylon 5. I also feel mass effect deserves a mention, yes its a game but its arguably the most rich and detailed sci fi universe ever created.

+1 for Mass Effect. Superb games. 

26 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I can't stand DrWho. It's absolute bollocks, except when Bernard Cribbins was in it.

Which one?

• The Dalek Invasion Earth movie - where he plays a policeman
  • The audio adventure - where he plays an impressario
  • or the 10th Doctor series where he plays Donna's grandfather.

multi-talented - did well in all three.

All science fiction is absolute tosh - but if it's well done, it means you can suspend your disbelief and for a short while escape into an alternative reality where the rules are different.