• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Cannabis for medical use

Cannabis for medical use could become law after MPs form legislation action group

A group of doctors in politics are taking on the House of Commons to lobby to repeal the ban on the medical use of cannabis. Four MPs, who are also doctors, have formed an action group to take on the issue.

Former Health Minister Dan Poulter – who still works as a GP part-time – said he had already signed up four of the Commons’ nine medical doctors; fellow Conservative Andrew Murrison, Labour’s Paul Williams, and Philippa Whitford of the Scottish National party.

On Thursday Poulter was inviting colleagues to join an all-party parliamentary group (APPG) on medicinal cannabis. He is to co-chair the group with Mike Penning, an ex-Tory justice minister who told the Guardian that they estimate that the group has the support of around 80 politicians.

The push is good news for sick children like Alfie Dingley, a six-year-old boy with epilepsy. He had been effectively treated with cannabis oil in the Netherlands, but was denied it in the UK. Dingley’s family put medical cannabis on the political agenda with a 300,000-strong signature petition to Downing Street.

Another boy, Billy Caldwell, 12, is in a similar situation to Alfie. His doctor found himself in hot water with officials for trying to write a cannabis prescription. Campaigners say that there are hundreds of other families facing the same problems as Billy and Alfie.

“What these cases help to do is bring into focus some of the absurdities about the law at the moment,” Tory MP Poulter said. The Central Suffolk and North Ipswich MP said that there is a general consensus among MPs that the ban on cannabis-derived drugs should be lifted. He added that the support of so many doctors in the Commons would give the campaign more weight.

Members of the APPG will look “in a rigorous scientific way” at evidence from other countries that have allowed medicinal cannabis use. The group will then make recommendations to the government on how the legislation can be changed.

Details of the plan were revealed on Tuesday by the Conservative co-chair of the all party parliamentary group on drug policy reform, Crispin Blunt, at a medical cannabis investors conference.

Legalisation of medicinal use of cannabis could be the first step towards full legalisation. Canada, which allowed medicinal use in 2001, prepares for Justin Trudeau’s government to follow through with its promise for a fully legal market.

However APPG co-chair Mike Penning said  anyone hoping for a similar situation in the UK would be “drawing the wrong conclusions.”  He said: “I would not be part of or even consider being a party of an APPG where [legalisation] was the end goal.”

A line in the sand needed to be drawn between patients like Alfie Dingley and the wider drug law debate. “[Alfie] doesn’t go into a bar in Amsterdam and have a spliff, it’s completely different and that’s why we’ve set up this group,” Penning said.

Charlotte Caldwell, Billy Caldwell’s mother, confirmed that she had met Poulter and threw her support behind his plan. “This is not about one boy, this is about all of the children that desperately need this medicine,” she said.

“This is so important. This now is about every child in our country that’s suffering from this brutal condition. And now is the time to get these children their medicine, to give them a better quality of life.”

Looking around the internet there are many many reports of the medical benefits of some components of cannabis like CBD

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Cannabis for medical use could become law after MPs form legislation action group

Looking around the internet there are many many reports of the medical benefits of some components of cannabis like CBD

The UK  is the largest legal exporter of Cannabis in the world most of this is for medical use and the irony of it all is the minster that is in charge of this legislation and who seams dead set against  what those MP`s are proposing  , her husband is one of the largest  licenced producer in this country as part of the British Sugar Group IIRC  and they own GW pharmaceuticals who produce nothing but CBD /THC based drugs 

Epediolex  and Sativex both from GW   with that Latter being available on prescription in the UK and the former is about to be licenced in the UK and possibly the USA 

Not a Fecking VI in sight ehh

Edited by Long time lurking

It's a bit embarrassing this is still chugging on. Someone at a party we held fifteen years ago was on a legal cannabis derivative trial. Their little aerosol got passed around a lot that night.

32 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

But, but untaxed drugs are bad!

Now, where did I put my beer and fags?

;)

ftfy.

4 minutes ago, horridbloke said:

It's a bit embarrassing this is still chugging on. Someone at a party we held fifteen years ago was on a legal cannabis derivative trial. Their little aerosol got passed around a lot that night.

That would have been Sativex  (thc based)it`s now  available on prescription and widely used for those that suffer with MS

11 minutes ago, JackieO said:

?

"fixed that for you"

Kilham is implying that the main reason why governments would consider legalising cannabis, is because they love the taxes raised on 'legal' drugs, like alcohol and tobacco.

ie health benefits are of secondary importance, when compared to folding green sheets of paper...

But why has so much huge effort gone into researching the medicinal properties of cannabis when there are millions of plant derived compounds out there?

Simple answer: because people want to justify their smoking dope.

Ditto alcohol and its effect in improving blood flow.  Nobody has been casting about for a drug to improve blood flow and chanced upon alcohol; it is merely an attempt to justify getting pissed / spaced.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

But why has so much huge effort gone into researching the medicinal properties of cannabis when there are millions of plant derived compounds out there?

Ditto alcohol and its effect in improving blood flow.  Nobody has been casting about for a drug to improve blood flow and chanced upon alcohol; it is merely an attempt to justify getting pissed / spaced.

CBD doesn't get you high.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why the interest in this one when there are millions of natural plant compoumds out there that haven't been studied?

It works.

oldest medicine ever.

CBD actually protects your brain from the THC also present in cannabis.  THC is what gets you high.

Normal weed has a balance of CBD/THC.  Problem is nowadays through selective breeding there is loads of skunk around which is high in THC and no CBD, thats why it can mess with your head.

26 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why the interest in this one when there are millions of natural plant compoumds out there that haven't been studied?

I watched a film on youtube about the history of cannabis. In America in the 1930s it was legal to use it and it was advertised widely for its recreational benefits. I'll try and find a link to it.

5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I watched a film on youtube about the history of cannabis. In America in the 1930s it was legal to use it and it was advertised widely for its recreational benefits. I'll try and find a link to it.

That's exactly my point.

People are trying to justify uisng a recreational drug by casting around for any ancillary benefits it may have.

This sounds like finding out that heroin cures hay fever and so banging the drum for heroin.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's exactly my point.

People are trying to justify uisng a recreational drug by casting around for any ancillary benefits it may have.

This sounds like finding out that heroin cures hay fever and so banging the drum for heroin.

I don't have any particular issue with that..  if people want to get drunk / high in their spare time that's up to them.  If it has medical benefits too that's just a plus.

As usual the UK is just pathetically following whatever legal precedent the US sets..  the US started doing all this about two/three years ago.  Obviously I agree with this one..  but it would be nice to have just a handful of independent thinkers in our civil service.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's exactly my point.

Well worth watching this series part 1,2,3 here 4 is on youtube it has nothing to do with justifying pot smoking 

You have world renowned numerologist and research scientists speaking in these videos and the irony is many reckon it could be a replacement for opiate use as a proscription drug  the Japaneses also quite confident there are canabiniods that look like they could be a cure for dementia Alzheimers  and CBD is proved to be a treatment for epilepsy it`s a moving story 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's exactly my point.

Until fairly recently one of the posh chemist shops in St James offered a spoonful of their own formula elixir as a hangover cure/pick me up for something like a fiver. I suspect it was one of those Victorian cures that contained cocaine!

Edited by Panther

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Soft lad said:

It works.

oldest medicine ever.

CBD actually protects your brain from the THC also present in cannabis.  THC is what gets you high.

Normal weed has a balance of CBD/THC.  Problem is nowadays through selective breeding there is loads of skunk around which is high in THC and no CBD, thats why it can mess with your head.

The hypocrisy of this is shown here  the video will start at the relevant point  and here`s the patent the US government holds  https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en

1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

1920's Britain - cocaine and heroin were available in your local pharmacy.

10 hours ago, Soft lad said:

It works.

oldest medicine ever.

Thanks to your post I now have CBD spray.

After 30 years of taking an SSRI for the horrible chronic anxiety associated with my high functioning autism I'm now cutting the dose down and weaning myself off.

The reason?

Because CBD works way better.

First day I took it, I was like, so this is what feels like to be normal!

Early days but thus far I find this stuff miraculous.

2 hours ago, JackieO said:

Thanks to your post I now have CBD spray.

After 30 years of taking an SSRI for the horrible chronic anxiety associated with my high functioning autism I'm now cutting the dose down and weaning myself off.

The reason?

Because CBD works way better.

First day I took it, I was like, so this is what feels like to be normal!

Early days but thus far I find this stuff miraculous.

That's great news.

I think you should tell your GP what you're doing.  30 years is along time to be on something.

here's a thing on SSRI and CBD.  

https://www.hellomd.com/answers/57c8e1f36f4f600007e0ca69/is-it-safe-to-take-cbd-oil-and-ssri-at-the-same-time

I think the reason its not a mainstream medicine is because nobody knows how it works.  There is thousands of years of anecdotal evidence but a place like the NHS needs a bit more than that for them to recommend it.

Somehow it works on the brain and nervous system and makes them behave normally.

15 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Out of everything I tried for whatever the mystery disease was that was probably killing me, CBD oil was by far the most effective - I've gone from practically bed bound to working towards becoming a yoga instructor in 6 months. The immediate difference it made was only just short of miraculous. There probably are better plant compounds out there but we know about this one and people should have access to it.