• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Africa will never develop

I think everyone secretly knows that but won't admit it.

This article is prima facie another side swipe at god emperor Trump's USA being nasty to the textile and clothing industries of poor African countries but it also reveals what has really clobbered them; market competition.  They cannot compete in a global market because culturally (as per previous debates I think it's culture but for those who think it's genetics the effects are the same) they can't do it.  There is no culture of investing because investments are not protected from corrupt officials and criminals so there is none of the modern plant and machinery required to compete.

The only way there will ever be such plant will be if China, the US, or a European country sets up a factory there.  And that's not Africa developing; it's Africa being developed by outside cultures as in the colonial era.

My extracts from the "nasty America" article:

Many African nations were once home to vibrant textile industries. But decades of mismanagement, instability, and increased global competition have taken a toll.

This can be seen in Ghana, where a study found that market liberalisation the 1980shad led to a sharp drop in textile and clothing jobs - from 25,000 people in 1977 to just 5,000 in 2000.

Kenya had half a million garment workers a couple of decades ago. Today that number is in the tens of thousands.

Second-hand clothing is one factor in the near-collapse of the garment industry in sub-Saharan Africa. The West's cast-offs were so cheap that local textile factories and self-employed tailors could not compete.

Chinese exports of cheap, ready-made clothes to East Africa is worth $1.2 bn, according to the USAID survey.

Mariam, a clothes buyer in Kigali, told the So-Called BBC's Swahili service that the only thing you can find in clothes markets today is "Chinese clothes and they are very expensive".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44252655

1 minute ago, One percent said:

The British textile industry has also been decimated. Are they concerned about that too?  No?  Well what a surprise 

fucking fuckers. (My new go to phrase for all these barm pots until tommy is released)

fucking fuckers. 

Working class white people.

Fuckem.

38 minutes ago, One percent said:

The British textile industry has also been decimated. Are they concerned about that too?  No?  Well what a surprise 

fucking fuckers. (My new go to phrase for all these barm pots until tommy is released)

fucking fuckers. 

Remember folks: privatisation, automation, international trade and mass migration makes us all richer. I know because I read about it in The Economist. 

The north of England's textile industry could not compete economically and folded. Eastern Europe's textile industry could not compete economically and folded. Now it is just about shuffling about for the cheapest labour cost: China to Vietnam to Bangladesh. 

While the west was squabbling amongst itselves, China has pretty much bought up Africa (and its mineral rights) lock, stock and barrel. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Talking of Ghana they actually have a car manufacturer now:

Is this final assembly of Chinese kits?

Edit: According to Wiki, yes.

Edited by Happy Renting

3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

There is something a bit Chinese about them. I'm not sure tbh.

10 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

The north of England's mass textile industry could not compete economically and folded. Eastern Europe's textile industry could not compete economically and folded. Now it is just about shuffling about for the cheapest labour cost: China to Vietnam to Bangladesh. 

While the west was squabbling amongst itselves, China has pretty much bought up Africa (and its mineral rights) lock, stock and barrel. 

Some stuff will come back - see the Hiut jeans.

Textiles have been competing on price/cheapness for too long.

Its really not worth it. Once youve had one pair of socks that your feet go thru, then they are no longer cheap.

I buyfruit of the looms t shirts, offline. They are great. Made in America. I think they are machine made too. Qualities good.

Once you automate a lot, then remove the high street retailer, then theres enough margin for medium to good textiles.

Posted (edited)

They have a budding aircraft industry too.

Fortunately for them, they can refer to over a century's worth of aircraft development in the rest of the world, so they are evidently right at the leading edge already.

eb234e29ff1fc1ac0437d108641beab5_aircraf

article-2348222-1A80294A000005DC-446_634

I love the four seats. That's optimism.

Edited by Happy Renting

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think everyone secretly knows that but won't admit it.

This article is prima facie another side swipe at god emperor Trump's USA being nasty to the textile and clothing industries of poor African countries but it also reveals what has really clobbered them; market competition.  They cannot compete in a global market because culturally (as per previous debates I think it's culture but for those who think it's genetics the effects are the same) they can't do it.  There is no culture of investing because investments are not protected from corrupt officials and criminals so there is none of the modern plant and machinery required to compete.

The only way there will ever be such plant will be if China, the US, or a European country sets up a factory there.  And that's not Africa developing; it's Africa being developed by outside cultures as in the colonial era.

My extracts from the "nasty America" article:

Many African nations were once home to vibrant textile industries. But decades of mismanagement, instability, and increased global competition have taken a toll.

This can be seen in Ghana, where a study found that market liberalisation the 1980shad led to a sharp drop in textile and clothing jobs - from 25,000 people in 1977 to just 5,000 in 2000.

Kenya had half a million garment workers a couple of decades ago. Today that number is in the tens of thousands.

Second-hand clothing is one factor in the near-collapse of the garment industry in sub-Saharan Africa. The West's cast-offs were so cheap that local textile factories and self-employed tailors could not compete.

Chinese exports of cheap, ready-made clothes to East Africa is worth $1.2 bn, according to the USAID survey.

Mariam, a clothes buyer in Kigali, told the So-Called BBC's Swahili service that the only thing you can find in clothes markets today is "Chinese clothes and they are very expensive".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44252655

It is the white man's duty
As  every white man knows
To teach the black to feel ashamed
And then to sell him clothes.

2 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

The north of England's textile industry could not compete economically and folded. Eastern Europe's textile industry could not compete economically and folded. Now it is just about shuffling about for the cheapest labour cost: China to Vietnam to Bangladesh. 

It's happened in eastern Europe as well. The Hungarian right wing party Jobbik moans about the Jews taking over Hungary, when they really ought to be looking at a group from rather further east. 

13 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Africa will never develop when we allow educated Africans into the West. Educated Africans should remain in Africa and develop Africa.

Nah, I'm happy for the educated Africans to come over here. We can send the educated snowflakes over there instead.

2 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Nah, I'm happy for the educated Africans to come over here. We can send the educated snowflakes over there instead.

Yes, they can build schools using their extensive knowledge of the construction industry

On 28/05/2018 at 12:28, spygirl said:

Some stuff will come back - see the Hiut jeans.

Textiles have been competing on price/cheapness for too long.

Its really not worth it. Once youve had one pair of socks that your feet go thru, then they are no longer cheap.

I buyfruit of the looms t shirts, offline. They are great. Made in America. I think they are machine made too. Qualities good.

Once you automate a lot, then remove the high street retailer, then theres enough margin for medium to good textiles.

Nearly all the clothes I buy are second hand, except underwear/socks. Already shrink tested, wash tested, wear tested, more selection for the time taken to shop for them, fraction of the price. 

On 28/05/2018 at 12:17, Happy Renting said:

Edit: According to Wiki, yes.

KTM bikes are, IIRC, manufactured in Africa or possibly India then final assembly takes places in Austria and other parts of Europe. Africa is going to be manufacturing all sorts of our shit in the next few decades.

The Chinese have also bought up most of Australia too.

I suppose the So-Called BBC could have taken another line that all the cheap western cast off clothing had freed up textile workers to do some other work in another sector (car manufacturing for example) but that would never do.

Similarly in Britain if manufacturing workers hadn't been diverted to nail bar and barrista work paid by printing money and massive debt.

On 30/05/2018 at 12:34, spunko2010 said:

KTM bikes are, IIRC, manufactured in Africa or possibly India then final assembly takes places in Austria and other parts of Europe. Africa is going to be manufacturing all sorts of our shit in the next few decades.

The Chinese have also bought up most of Australia too.

Nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing as long as the QA is looked after by the customer 

Leave it to the Chinese and they will Always work their way down to the lowest common denominator for some reason they just can`t help themselves 

On 30/05/2018 at 21:43, twocents said:

I suppose the So-Called BBC could have taken another line that all the cheap western cast off clothing had freed up textile workers to do some other work in another sector (car manufacturing for example) but that would never do.

Similarly in Britain if manufacturing workers hadn't been diverted to nail bar and barrista work paid by printing money and massive debt.

I saw this in rural village markets in Mozambique - most of the stalls were selling second hand clothes that were badly in need of ironing as the were bought in bulk by the stall holders as vacuum compressed bales. It was a bit of a lottery for them buying as they did not know what was included until they opened it up.

I was told that the clothing originated from charity organizations in the west, donated “to help the starving of Africa” then promptly sold by middlemen when they arrived in country!

Full confession - I imposed my white privilege and bought several good quality t-shirts for feck all.