• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Cost of your hobbies.

I thought it might be half interesting to compare the cost of hobbies.

I love keeping tropical fish, a semi decent 100 litre tank is probably £200, some aggregate and plants about £50, filter and heater another £50. A fish is normally up to a fiver. A carbon dioxide system to keep the plants green is about £100. The running costs a year are minimal... Maybe £10 a year for food, £40 for electricity, £20 for a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher. 

I also have a shotgun licence and shoot vermin. A decent shotgun like a berreta is probably £2k (it should last a lifetime). A cartridge is about twenty pence. I'd guess an afternoons shooting involves me hiding somewhere and firing about five cartridges.

I also collect coins. They vary in cost between a few quid to a few grand. Fuck knows why I buy them though, they are the type of thing you buy and hardly ever look at. 

My greatest extravagance is probably photography. The equipment of course is very expensive but the "running costs" are much less now as digital means no film to buy nor developing costs. - Until daughters now want to learn so we have some id11 , fp4 and paper waiting for the summer holidays.

I'd class myself as a 'maker' - but, in reality, more of a 'tinkerer'.

I'd hate to sit down and work out how much all those Raspberry Pi, Arduino and other bits of kit I have stashed away have set me back over the years.

No hobbies at the moment as I'm mad busy being the roadie and organiser of activities for my daughter, they however cost a loads eg International martial arts completion over £1K

Guitars, only got two but add in a couple of amps, decent microphone and a few bits and bobs for recording and I doubt there'd be much change from 4 grand if I bought it all in one go.

Compare and contrast with my cheapest hobby; running. I'm a bugger for literally running shoes into the ground. Where they bend and the front half looks like an open toe sandal. 

28 minutes ago, JackieO said:

No hobbies at the moment as I'm mad busy being the roadie and organiser of activities for my daughter, they however cost a loads eg International martial arts completion over £1K

Yes. Teenagers are certainly expensive.

Walking: boots have averaged about £40 a year; plus fuel, car parking and a meal.

Probably £800 per year all in; though I could consider it just days out with the only cost being the walking boots.

Quizzes every couple of months or so though as I usually win (won the last four, all at different venues, differnet organisations) that's actually a (very minor) revenue stream.

I'm starting to do more DIY and trying to turn my hand to woodworking.  Just basic stuff at the moment like a garden gate.

My tool collection is growing.. I've probably spent about £1000 so far.  

I'm going to kid myself I've already saved it on the cost of the decking I made last winter but I doubt it would have been quite that much to by ready built.

Latest aquisition is a table saw..  £125 impulse buy :(

Posted (edited)

Track days... 

I only went to 'cheap' days, so £100-£120 for the entry.

If its a haul then hotel £50

Fuel to get there £50, fuel on the day £100

Tyres, brake pads were the biggest wear items on the day, estimated £60 quid a pop.

That's before you buy/build/insure/tax the car.

The last 6months I also had a trailer & second car that could tow it.

I had an epiphany of sorts at Snetterton "I'm not really enjoying this." Packed it in. Still trying to sell everything I accumulated :)

Edited by Cosmic Apple

52 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Guitars, only got two but add in a couple of amps, decent microphone and a few bits and bobs for recording and I doubt there'd be much change from 4 grand if I bought it all in one go.

Compare and contrast with my cheapest hobby; running. I'm a bugger for literally running shoes into the ground. Where they bend and the front half looks like an open toe sandal. 

It's a never ending expense, always chasing a sound that only exists in a studio.

Gym membership £18 per month, I really enjoy so would consider it a hobby. Walking - some decent boots, waterproof gear (essential in this country), petrol, grub I reckon about £6 -700 per annum.

Cycling. Probably 5k CAD per year for parts, depreciation, travel too/from events. So, not cheap, but way less than power boat racing or any kind of Motorsport other than, maybe, banger racing.

4 hours ago, JackieO said:

I feel your pain.

I think my hobbies are vicarious.

Mine was Mountain biking /fishing and surfing camping was to facilitate tow of those 

it`s just a bit of camping and fishing now and a little cycling 

My biggest fear was i would die and my misses at the time would sell all my kit for what i said i paid for it

3 hours ago, mooncat69 said:

It's a never ending expense, always chasing a sound that only exists in a studio.

A good tip is. Stop buying more gear and master what you have.

Yeah bollocks to that!:Jumping:

I have managed to resist buying anymore plug ins for ages. I am sure i have enough. Bought some Waves stuff when they were going cheap though they can be a bugger to run on some hosts.

However I have completely lost the muse at the moment, mainly due to pop diggers ailments mentioned elsewhere.

Nevertheless,  i'm hanging on to all my kit as i know theres still LOADS to come out when the time is right and selling it all would just convert it in to dirty fiat.

The best tip is, Don't force it.

i will get into buying a selling tarantulas again one day ,you can still find some of my old pricelists online ,id like to teach self defence with a twist ie street fighting but id probably get locked up straight away  id not be very pc ,ive never had a hobby that cant pay for itself .even online gameing can be a slow cash cow if you know what your doing.i avaraged around 2/3k a year of finds from metal detecting which is basicly fishing on land.even my house has been turned into a way of paying for itself my morgage is 160 my lodger pays 50 a week ,he has stayed here 1 night in the last 2 months ,he wont move in with his partner has he wont let her get the power over him....yes sad i know but if i can make a hobby /situation pay for itself im game.