• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Reck B

Stitch poking out of my finger

Recommended Posts

Around 6 years ago, I cut through the tendon which ‘wiggles’ the top part of your finger. I had to have surgery to re-attach it, which involved cutting a ‘z’ shape down the finger to access the tendon and fix it.

there has always been a hard lump along the scar tissue which has been quite annoying, especially doing bar chords on the guitar.

my doctor assured me wasn’t a stitch, but today, I bit the lump and pulled one out about a cm. I figure I could just keep pulling but it’s stuck now. Maybe it’s actually attached to something? I thought stitches dissolved?

what the eff should I do with it now? It has to come out, right?

66F40D26-9ED0-4D5A-BA39-7ACAC4B7A199.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea, but I'd probably go back to your doctor and ask him/her..   probably a minor surgery to get it cut out under local.  Your doctor might even be qualified himself..   although given the accuracy of his previous diagnosis you might not want to trust him with a knife on your finger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Libspero said:

No idea, but I'd probably go back to your doctor and ask him/her..   probably a minor surgery to get it cut out under local.  Your doctor might even be qualified himself..   although given the accuracy of his previous diagnosis you might not want to trust him with a knife on your finger.

You clearly have not tried to get a GP appointment in England recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Reck B said:

Maybe it’s actually attached to something?

66F40D26-9ED0-4D5A-BA39-7ACAC4B7A199.png

Admit it, you’re an escaped puppet aren’t you? You just want to find out how to remove the string you couldn’t snip off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suspect that may not actually be dis-solvable stitch. Maybe normal stitch material has been used by mistake. 

The  polymer dis-solvable sutures PLA (polylacticacid) and PGA (polyglycolicacid) break down by hydrolysis to lactic acid or glycolic acid respectively. It doesn ot seem possible for this NOT to have happened after 6 years.

Edited by man o' the year
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to go have it cut out so go see your doctor. It probably is minor but as it appears stuck you need a qualified opinion. Do you have a minor surgery unit near you?

I would not do it yourself. Stick a plaster over it in the short-term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same. Fractured my little finger, had a z shaped incision and the bone wired. Always had a red lump after that which I ignored until a stitch started to show after a few years. Pulled it and like you was concerned not to pull it too hard. Had a local anaesthetic to remove it by a surgeon. Amazing how the body tries to reject foreign bodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, man o' the year said:

I suspect that may not actually be dis-solvable stitch. Maybe normal stitch material has been used by mistake. 

The  polymer dis-solvable sutures PLA (polylacticacid) and PGA (polyglycolicacid) break down by hydrolysis to lactic acid or glycolic acid respectively. It doesn ot seem possible for this NOT to have happened after 6 years.

Could it be due to where the stitch is? There’s practically no ‘meat’ for the break down to take place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

I had the same. Fractured my little finger, had a z shaped incision and the bone wired. Always had a red lump after that which I ignored until a stitch started to show after a few years. Pulled it and like you was concerned not to pull it too hard. Had a local anaesthetic to remove it by a surgeon. Amazing how the body tries to reject foreign bodies.

Cheers for that, I’ll get it removed properly rather than use rusty pliers! To be honest it made/is making me a bit queezy having this poking out.

9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You need to go have it cut out so go see your doctor. It probably is minor but as it appears stuck you need a qualified opinion. Do you have a minor surgery unit near you?

I would not do it yourself. Stick a plaster over it in the short-term.

Thanks tmt, I’ll get it removed properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reck B said:

Could it be due to where the stitch is? There’s practically no ‘meat’ for the break down to take place?

The polymer breaks down by being hydrolised - so the action of water so if it were completely dry it may not break down. This seems unlikely in the body.

Maybe snip a bit of and soak in water. It should soften in a day or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Reck B said:

To be honest it made/is making me a bit queezy having this poking out.

Sue them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Seek medical advice.

Yes,  the doctors will be able to confirm that this definitely wasn’t a  freak sewing machine accident while making a pink Friday night dress that the OP is too embarrassed to admit to ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reck B said:

Cheers for that, I’ll get it removed properly rather than use rusty pliers! To be honest it made/is making me a bit queezy having this poking out.

Thanks tmt, I’ll get it removed properly.

 

 

Usually, like in the video, they just pull out. But yours appears to have lodged itself in a lump of something - probably some cells that you body placed around it in order to protect itself and hence it is now stuck.

You need a bit of pain-killer injected into that before they cut it and - ha ha - probably some more stiches afterwards. Get your sarccy comment ready. Because the original injury was tendon related you really want a good doctor looking at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Reck B said:

Cheers for that, I’ll get it removed properly rather than use rusty pliers! To be honest it made/is making me a bit queezy having this poking out.

Thanks tmt, I’ll get it removed properly.

I had (supposedly) dissolving stitches when I had my appendix removed. About 2 months later the seemingly well healed scar started bubbling up and looking pretty gross. So I cut into one of the blisters with a Stanley knife and squeezed the puss out, only to see the stitches still present inside the now festering wound. I pulled them out a way with tweezers but couldn't get a strong enough grip so had to use a pair of pliers in the end. Poured TCP into the hole then sellotaped it up. Healed up OK after that and no problems in the 30 years since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I had (supposedly) dissolving stitches when I had my appendix removed. About 2 months later the seemingly well healed scar started bubbling up and looking pretty gross. So I cut into one of the blisters with a Stanley knife and squeezed the puss out, only to see the stitches still present inside the now festering wound. I pulled them out a way with tweezers but couldn't get a strong enough grip so had to use a pair of pliers in the end. Poured TCP into the hole then sellotaped it up. Healed up OK after that and no problems in the 30 years since.

I'm guessing that you like DIY.😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.