• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
shindigger

Swollen ankle in pensioner.

Pop Digger has a badly swollen ankle. Its been x-rayed and there is no bone break.

Hes been to the ortho  dept at the Pablo Miller Memorial Hospital  Salisbury Wilts, and they are hopeless.

He's been given one of those comedy boots to wear but cant get on with it. We now have to wait 4 weeks for an appointment to discuss an MRI and a (possible) cortisone injection. He cant put any weight on it and hes in a lot of pain.

The poor old bugger is immobile.

Any inputs from the hive mind welcomed.

5 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Pop Digger has a badly swollen ankle. Its been x-rayed and there is no bone break.

Hes been to the ortho  dept at the Pablo Miller Memorial Hospital  Salisbury Wilts, and they are hopeless.

He's been given one of those comedy boots to wear but cant get on with it. We now have to wait 4 weeks for an appointment to discuss an MRI and a (possible) cortisone injection. He cant put any weight on it and hes in a lot of pain.

The poor old bugger is immobile.

Any inputs from the hive mind welcomed.

Phone them every day and make a nuisance of yourself. Let them know that he can be there in an hour if they have a cancellation. 

Whilst being totally charming.

Sorry. Nothing more helpful to add.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Phone them every day and make a nuisance of yourself. Let them know that he can be there in an hour if they have a cancellation. 

Whilst being totally charming.

Sorry. Nothing more helpful to add.

Thats a perfectly viable and reasonable approach. Chz.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Thats a perfectly viable and reasonable approach. Chz.

You're welcome. I just find that these people want to help if they can, but they are so used to permanent moaners that if you can be both polite but also very concerned for your relative they can and do go that extra bit to help. They are human after all.

Edited by Cunning Plan

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, dgul said:

How long has it been bad?  How quickly did it come (instant or gradual)?

Its been bad for about a month. It came on quickly. Though he has been walking with a limp for a while. Not sure if he put that down to the ankle though. Its like the worst sprain you've ever had. I'm supposing its ligaments. He's staying in bed tomorrow.

I was concerned that it was septic arthritis but not thinking that way now.

He turned his ankle badly on manoevures on Dartmoor in the 50s. Could be some that coming back in the post. 

His first trip in a wheelchair. Bit of a line in the sand moment for both of us.:Old:

Edited by shindigger

7 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Its been bad for about a month. It came on quickly. Though he has been walking with a limp for a while. Not sure if he put that down to the ankel though. Its like the owrst sprain youve ever had. Im supposing its ligaments. Hes staying in bed tomorrow.

I was concerned that it was septic arthritis but not thinking that way now.

He turned his ankle badly on manoevures on Dartmoor in the 50s. Could be some that coming back in the post. 

His first trip in a wheelchair. Bit of a line in the sand moment for both of us.:Old:

The wheelchair is just a temporary measure to ensure he doesn't do himself any further damage. I am sure he could walk if he really had to but why risk inflaming the injury if you don't need to?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

The wheelchair is just a temporary measure to ensure he doesn't do himself any further damage. I am sure he could walk if he really had to but why risk inflaming the injury if you don't need to?

Yes, cheers, i very much hope so.

The wheelchair was at the Hospital. Helpfully enough the orhto dept is miles  (200 yards) from the main entrance.

At home, my place is not set up well for wheels. Bit "stairsy" as the agents say. Drops and thresholds every bloody where.

He's been given this robocop type boot with velcro strapping but refuses to wear it as his other hip will get thrown out by it as the feet are at massively different heights.

I will get him a proper ankle brace tomorrow, probably should have done that already to be honest, but didn't think it would drag on.

Edited by shindigger

45 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Was he wearing a heavy pack at the time? It might be worth checking out with a chiropractor whether he has some misalignment in his lower back or hips - he could have been walking around for decades with one leg longer than the other.

Otherwise, be a nuisance as being a nuisance gets appointments and polite British people wait at home waiting for the phone to ring. Swollen ankles can be indicative of all sorts of problems from heart problems to diabetes to simply having twisted the ankle.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Was he wearing a heavy pack at the time? It might be worth checking out with a chiropractor whether he has some misalignment in his lower back or hips - he could have been walking around for decades with one leg longer than the other.

Otherwise, be a nuisance as being a nuisance gets appointments and polite British people wait at home waiting for the phone to ring. Swollen ankles can be indicative of all sorts of problems from heart problems to diabetes to simply having twisted the ankle.

Yes indeed. He has a pacemaker fitted. His other ankle is fine though. I am going to ring the GP again in the morning and request a home visit. As wasnt overly chuffed with first consultation.

I think he was wearing a pack. He had to be carried back to base. Bet he was popular!

I can be a nuisance right enough.

4 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Yes indeed. He has a pacemaker fitted. His other ankle is fine though. I am going to ring the GP again in the morning and request a home visit. As wasnt overly chuffed with first consultation.

I think he was wearing a pack. He had to be carried back to base. Bet he was popular!

I can be a nuisance right enough.

I suspect their first thought will be the pacemaker. Is he under the care of a nurse re the pacemaker? I would have thought getting back in touch with the team who did it would be a good idea. Keep an eye on his breathing.

Posted (edited)

A suddenly swollen joint could easily be gout - esp. likely in an older gent. I

n the ankle particularly it presents the same way as a sprain and can even be triggered by trauma - just to confuse things further.

One of the worst gout attacks I ever had followed from spraining my ankle on a tree root while running in the woods

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

Posted (edited)

Broken fibula

Or

STRESS FRACTURE 

a stress fracture will not show up on xray thats why he was given the airboot

A bone scan will show stress fractures (but you wont get one)

Bottom line? Keep on and it will turn into a full break

(I did this) 

You need to speak with whoever gave him the boot and why they issued it

Not being able to weight bare on it is a sure sign of stressfracture or break you can do this to the spindly fibula very easily even a knock can do it

You'll not get put in a boot for a sprain or swelling its usually to heal stress fractures or clean breaks

Treatment? 

6-8 weeks on crutches in the boot, elevate at rest and up and walk with support at least once sn hour to prevent circulatory problems, 

Maybe less than 6 weeks for a stress fracture to heal poss 4 wks

Edited by WorkingPoor

Posted (edited)

My guess is they think stress fracture but cant see on xray and wont give bonescan so they issue airboot knowing it will heal itself over 4 weeks or so

Ask him if he banged the spindly bone on the outside of the lower leg above the ankle ? 

Ps you have to stay in the boot even sleep in it (except for bathing where great care needs to taken) 

You should have 2 socks with it use 1 for 2 days turn it inside out on the 2nd day, then switch to sock 2 and launder sock 1 (It will stink) 

You can take the front cover off at rest on sofa and leave the back half cupping the lower leg keep straps snug not loose you can injure in the boot otherwise

Edited by WorkingPoor

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

My guess is they think stress fracture but cant see on xray and wont give bonescan so they issue airboot knowing it will heal itself over 4 weeks or so

Ask him if he banged the spindly bone on the outside of the lower leg above the ankle ? 

Ps you have to stay in the boot even sleep in it (except for bathing where great care needs to taken) 

You should have 2 socks with it use 1 for 2 days turn it inside out on the 2nd day, then switch to sock 2 and launder sock 1 (It will stink) 

You can take the front cover off at rest on sofa and leave the back half cupping the lower leg keep straps snug not loose you can injure in the boot otherwise

Thanks for this. He's in bed, with it in the boot, and elevated. He keeps wittering on about a tight crepe bandage. That'll be the 1950s talking.

I can see his point that the legs are now so uneven he risks knackering a hip when ambulating.

I may go for something like this as a halfway house so that he can get about better. What do you think?

https://www.betterbraces.co.uk/aircast-a60-ankle-support-2

This morning there was very little swelling and it looked more or less identical to the other one.

I think hes taking to being waited on hand and foot quite well....

Edited by shindigger

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, shindigger said:

Thanks for this. He's in bed, with it in the boot, and elevated. He keeps wittering on about a tight crepe bandage. That'll be the 1950s talking.

I can see his point that the legs are now so uneven he risks knackering a hip when ambulating.

I may go for something like this as a halfway house so that he can get about better. What do you think?

This morning there was very little swelling and it looked more or less identical to the other one.

I think hes taking to being waited on hand and foot quite well....

yes elevating will get the swelling down you gotta get the swelling down which will make it easier to walk,

Re the hip thing yes i ended up with a very sore left hip after walking around in the boot this is because it is way higher than any shoe on your other foot, i took to using crutches and hopped on my good leg. 

I saw a woman who wore a platform shoe on her other foot to balance it out but blokes cant do that unless you glue a piece of foam to the bottom of an old shoe? 

i found by throwing the boot leg out wider when walking you can balance the hips out but your like a hopalong cassidy.

Maybe not a stress fracture but if you cant weight bare its usually a stress fracture or break. 

Get the swelling down via elevation (higher than heart when laid down) and go from there

by the time you go back for mri in 4 weeks it will all be sorted and they won't need to do a scan that is their plan i reckon 

"the art of medicine is in amusing the patient long enough for the body to heal itself" [Voltaire]

Edited by WorkingPoor

8 hours ago, shindigger said:

No i wouldn't that wont have anywhere near the level of bracing and suport of the airwalker boot, did you get the pump up boot? its very good i still got mine, they let you keep it when your done. 

8 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

No i wouldn't that wont have anywhere near the level of bracing and suport of the airwalker boot, did you get the pump up boot? its very good i still got mine, they let you keep it when your done. 

Strictly velcro model. Its been very helpful today though. It has not swollen at all today, and is starting to look like a foot again.

I am going to search out some rubber material to bulk up an opposing shoe tomorrow.

I need the patient back on his own pins asap, i'm completely knackered!

Cheers for the input.