• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
humdrum

London cyclists too white, male and middle class

2 minutes ago, humdrum said:

Cheers. 

I don’t see the problem. Don’t all those who enrich us travel in their Ubers, on scooters (excellent robbing machine), BMW’s, and Audi’s?  Meanwhile, idiot horrendously white people try to save the planet by cycling. 

Norman added that cycle training courses, grants for community groups who do not typically cycle and the spread of "Quietways" will get more people from BAME communities to start pedalling.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Norman added that cycle training courses, grants for community groups who do not typically cycle and the spread of "Quietways" will get more people from BAME communities to start pedalling.

I'm all for getting them out of cars and trucks and onto bicycles. Could be money well spent

Courses and grants?

What a load of bollocks. Bikes can be picked up dirt cheap. Mine was £100 on eBay, and you can get them cheaper that that if you're not fussy.

My 4 year old can ride a bike. It took no time at all to teach him.

The thing about this is where's the barrier to entry stopping anybody of any background from just buying a bike and riding it? There simply isn't one.

It's not like you have to join some club, or pass a test. You buy a bike, and you ride it. No permission, authorisation or approval is required of any kind.

O.o

Leftists are just noisy trouble causers who happen to have a platform. No one really cares, least of all minorities or they'd be out riding bikes.

Another cultural activity where they're seriously under-represented is walking in the countryside, enjoying parks and running. I do all 3 and the proportion of BAME I see is astonishingly low. What must we do to encourage ethnic minorities to enjoy our wonderful countryside?

Posted (edited)

Don't BAME people prefer big BMWs.  They won't be pleased.  They might even be offended which is apparently illegal. 

At least the announcement sets new moronic standards to measure moronic British politicians by.

Edited by twocents

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

Courses and grants?

What a load of bollocks. Bikes can be picked up dirt cheap. Mine was £100 on eBay, and you can get them cheaper that that if you're not fussy.

My 4 year old can ride a bike. It took no time at all to teach him.

Make work and opportunities for charities and big executive wages.  At the very least opportunities for more business debt to help the bankers and cycle manufacturers etc along with the dodgy GDP stats.

I'm not saying more cycling isn't necessarily a good thing but why on earth do they always have to bring racism, sexism and ageism into it.  Isn't that illegal - apart from being blatantly and self servingly racist, sexist and ageist.

Edited by twocents

25 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Leftists are just noisy trouble causers who happen to have a platform. No one really cares, least of all minorities or they'd be out riding bikes.

Another cultural activity where they're seriously under-represented is walking in the countryside, enjoying parks and running. I do all 3 and the proportion of BAME I see is astonishingly low. What must we do to encourage ethnic minorities to enjoy our wonderful countryside?

You may jest but the National Trust I think had a campaign a few years ago to get more ethnics into the countryside. 

Of course, they never actually bothered to look at how many people in Africa and India go out  walking in the countryside. (Answer: very few. It's a sign of abject poverty to walk anywhere). 

Posted (edited)

Aren't these politicians supposed to be saving lives not increasing the overall risk.  You wouldn't get me cycling in London 20 years ago never mind now despite all the extra cycling protection gear, cycling lanes and other street signalling etc. 

See the video below which by no means demonstrates the worst traffic dangers in London shown on youtube.  I suspect this diversity ploy might somehow sneakily fit neatly in with a likely long term political agenda of no private cars in London - due to extreme congestion and danger as a result of the rapid increase in population.

Edited by twocents

11 minutes ago, twocents said:

Aren't these politicians supposed to be saving lives not increasing the overall risk.  You wouldn't get me cycling in London 20 years ago never mind now despite all the extra cycling protection gear, cycling lanes and other street signalling etc. 

See the video below which by no means demonstrates the worst traffic dangers in London shown on youtube.  I suspect this diversity ploy might somehow sneakily fit neatly in with a likely long term political agenda of no private cars in London - due to extreme congestion and danger basically as a result of the rapid increase in population.

I cycle in London a couple of times a month when there on business. The problem with videos like this is they are based on the assumption that all road users will follow the Highway Code and act reasonably and rationally. All of the incidents shown on the video should have been anticipated with evasive action taken accordingly - you just have to assume that you haven't been seen, and if you have been seen, that they want to kill you. The only possible exception is where he gets clipped by the taxi from behind. This is rare, but if you check behind every few seconds (as you should do when driving as well) this can be minimised. I find it incredible that so few cyclists look behind, even when pulling out or changing lanes. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I cycle in London a couple of times a month when there on business. The problem with videos like this is they are based on the assumption that all road users will follow the Highway Code and act reasonably and rationally. All of the incidents shown on the video should have been anticipated with evasive action taken accordingly - you just have to assume that you haven't been seen, and if you have been seen, that they want to kill you. The only possible exception is where he gets clipped by the taxi from behind. This is rare, but if you check behind every few seconds (as you should do when driving as well) this can be minimised. I find it incredible that so few cyclists look behind, even when pulling out or changing lanes. 

I think it's just his typical everyday cycling experience although I agree you can't ever assume there's going to be highway code compliance these days.  They used to say treat every other road user as a total idiot and anticipate that they are about to do any crazy manoeuvre intentionally or unintentionally and always expect the unexpected, nobody is perfect.  It's very good advice.  I don't know whether learners are taught that principle these days as it sounds a bit politically incorrect and might cause offence.  Even following that advice it's still possible to get caught out now and then and get a shock at the craziness.

These days the standard of "driving" of a great many (motorists and cyclists) is appalling and getting worse and it wasn't that great say 20 or so years ago and then on top of that you've got the carefree texters etc while driving and I even saw a cyclist doing it as he rode along recently.  Pedestrians aren't always blameless.

Edited by twocents

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, twocents said:

I think it just his typical everyday cycling experience although I agree you can't ever assume there's going to be highway code compliance these days.  They used to say treat every other road user as a total idiot and anticipate that they are about to do any crazy manoeuvre intentionally or unintentionally and always expect the unexpected, nobody is perfect.  It's very good advice.  I don't know whether learners are taught that principle these days as it sounds a bit politically incorrect and might cause offence.  Even following that advice it's still possible to get caught out now and then and get a shock at the craziness.

These days the standard of "driving" of a great many (motorists and cyclists) is appalling and getting worse and it wasn't that great say 20 or so years ago and then on top of that you've got the carefree texters etc while driving and I even saw a cyclist doing it as he rode along recently .

My rule of thumb is, no matter how dangerous, illegal or stupid a manouevre is, if it is physically possible (ie, within the laws of physics), then assume it will take place.

Doing that advanced driver/police thing of commenting on everything around you (silently in your head, not out loud!) is useful as well. 

Mind you, I only picked all this up after years of cycling in London, nobody taught it me and it's easy to see why some cyclists come a cropper, especially younger ones or those angry MAMIL types who assume right of way all the time. 

Edited by Austin Allegro