• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Malthus

Reaching out

Recommended Posts

The Americanism of Reaching Out seems to be used more and more, 5 live presenter earlier said such and such reached out to us 

No they fecking didn’t, they rang into your show 

Think I’m becoming a grumpy old man but things like this really piss me off 

Rant over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These fuckers are the 'reach around' type.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Sorry DTM - its late and I am drunk!)

1 minute ago, Southmartin said:

Is this the same as Reaching around?

Fuck you got there while I was getting my apology in to @DTMark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep..  the first time I heard it in our organisation it was a bit of a WTF moment.

Now it's so common (I deal with the yanks nearly every day) I don't even notice it any more to remember to be indignant about how sh1t it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, One percent said:

just don't start me on using Z instead of s in words.  Bloody publishers are requesting American speeling now Feckers.

I did a translation for a museum in Mexico once (long story, don't ask)..   obviously all in the Queen's English.

Apparently it pissed all the American school teachers right off when they did their cultural school tours.

This is all spelt wrong.. they moaned.       No,    no it isn't.

 

:D

Edited by Libspero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I did a translation for a museum in Mexico once (long story, don't ask)..   obviously all in the Queen's English.

Apparently it pissed all the American school teachers right off when they did their cultural school tours.

This is all spelt wrong.. they moaned.       No,    no it isn't.

 

:D

Good, we must defend the Queen's English from our American overlords...  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is irritating but there are two that are arguably worse.

1. Beginning a sentence with "So"

2. Beginning a sentence with "I mean"

Anyone who does this in real life I just make it my goal never to speak to them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spunko2010 said:

This is irritating but there are two that are arguably worse.

1. Beginning a sentence with "So"

2. Beginning a sentence with "I mean"

Anyone who does this in real life I just make it my goal never to speak to them again.

Even worse is when a sentence is started with “look”. “At what?” I am always tempted to reply with. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bkkandrew said:

These fuckers are the 'reach around' type.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Sorry DTM - its late and I am drunk!)

Fuck you got there while I was getting my apology in to @DTMark

What has this got to do with DTMark.. Actually nevermind... xD:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

just don't start me on using Z instead of s in words.  Bloody publishers are requesting American speeling now Feckers.

Really?

That'z ridiculouz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all good that Malthus decided to touch base on this issue: thank you, dude. Going forward, he should give us a heads-up on encountering anything similar ... although, personally, I'm good: I could care less about these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

These fuckers are the 'reach around' type.

Heterosexuals can reach around too, you selfish buggerer :)

Edited by Cosmic Apple
'er' for 'comedy'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

I don't know if it is a Merkinism, but I find the phrase 'speaks to' irritating.

As in 'this painting speaks to the Victorian past'.

Another generation and American will be a seperate language kids will learn in school 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.