• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Fantastic photos Sarah. The detail on the leaves is incredible. Did you take them?

I did! On my mobile. They're just snippets of the actual photos. 
I should take a proper camera out and sit there for three hours waiting for a bee to come into shot.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sarahbell said:

I did! On my mobile. They're just snippets of the actual photos. 
I should take a proper camera out and sit there for three hours waiting for a bee to come into shot.
 

Excellent. What phone?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

bee-comfrey.jpg

furry.jpg

lookatme.jpg

Lovely!

My daughter loves all insects and animals but bees are one of her favourites. She takes photos all the time of them.

I was astounded when she told me about the number of different varieties of bees in the uk. I’ve forgotten already how many there are but it was a huge number. They all look the same to me!

One of my treats is local raw honey. Yum 😋 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the third photo - bee on a mission!

I'm going to make some bee/insect boxes later this summer, just need to get hold of some cheap bamboo canes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an "insect hotel" as a present last year, check it occasionally but the only thing that seems to inhabit it are black ants.  Which are bloody everywhere anyway.

This year seems to have ants everywhere. Even nesting in my lawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I got an "insect hotel" as a present last year, check it occasionally but the only thing that seems to inhabit it are black ants.  Which are bloody everywhere anyway.

This year seems to have ants everywhere. Even nesting in my lawn.

I made a bug shack. I’m not sure if any insects use it though.

On Sunday/Monday I had quite a lot of ants in the hall and one of the bedrooms. Killed them when I saw any and there have been none in the house for two days now. Lots out in the garden this year. Never seen so many!

4315C288-C61B-4943-A372-F68E0F3E1E1F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I got an "insect hotel" as a present last year, check it occasionally but the only thing that seems to inhabit it are black ants.  Which are bloody everywhere anyway.

This year seems to have ants everywhere. Even nesting in my lawn.

Found black ants in the bloody compost heap, huge eggs compared to ant size, just under the plastic, had them in the lawn last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OK. Serious bee question. My daughter (who wants to keep bees) and I were looking at a hive in Warwick museum recently.

Some bees inside had assembled themselves tightly into a long line, nose to tail, apparently not moving at all.

What where they doing?

(The ensuing conversation revealed that my innocent offspring was conversant with the Human Centipede, which made me spit out my coffee.)

Edited by Happy Renting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

OK. Serious bee question. My daughter (who wants to keep bees) and I were looking at a hive in Warwick museum recently.

Some bees inside had assembled themselves tightly into a long line, nose to tail, apparently not moving at all.

What where they doing?

(The ensuing conversation revealed that my innocent offspring was conversant with the Human Centipede, which made me spit out my coffee.)

No idea.

How old is she?
 

2018-06-04_11_14_25.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

26

Tell her to get along to her local beekeepers association. https://www.bbka.org.uk/find-beekeeping-near-you

They often have monthly meetings. It's not a cheap hobby and if she doesn't want to rely on someone else having to build her kit for her *(she'll have to make frames but they're hard to fuck up) get abelo hives.https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/poly-hives-national/poly-hives-national/
The bee inspector I saw this week has 20 of them (I only have one, most of my kit is cedar national, but that fully matches with the national poly stuff from abelo )


Buy her the Haynes bee manual or The Bbka one https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/The-BBKA-Guide-to-Beekeeping-Second-Edition-by-Roger-Cullum-Kenyon-Ivor-Davis-Paperback-2015/221673532



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Tell her to get along to her local beekeepers association. https://www.bbka.org.uk/find-beekeeping-near-you

They often have monthly meetings. It's not a cheap hobby and if she doesn't want to rely on someone else having to build her kit for her *(she'll have to make frames but they're hard to fuck up) get abelo hives.https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/poly-hives-national/poly-hives-national/
The bee inspector I saw this week has 20 of them (I only have one, most of my kit is cedar national, but that fully matches with the national poly stuff from abelo )


Buy her the Haynes bee manual or The Bbka one https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/The-BBKA-Guide-to-Beekeeping-Second-Edition-by-Roger-Cullum-Kenyon-Ivor-Davis-Paperback-2015/221673532



 

Thanks for that. I think she'd have a go at assembly but she has no idea about woodworking (or tools) so I expect it would be me that does any cutting or sawing.

I don't think she'd like the poly hives, a traditional national would probably suit best.

What is the best wood to use (cedar?) and are wood treatments/ paints best avoided?

Edit: I read that cedar is traditional & popular, insecticide-free Cuprinol can be used, and painting single-wall hives is not advisable.

Why are hives often white? To keep them cool? Or just tradition?

Edited by Happy Renting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Thanks for that. I think she'd have a go at assembly but she has no idea about woodworking (or tools) so I expect it would be me that does any cutting or sawing.

I don't think she'd like the poly hives, a traditional national would probably suit best.

What is the best wood to use (cedar?) and are wood treatments/ paints best avoided?

Edit: I read that cedar is traditional & popular, insecticide-free Cuprinol can be used, and painting single-wall hives is not advisable.

Why are hives often white? To keep them cool? Or just tradition?

cedar smells amazing.

bees on a budget kit from thornes is what i started on. just assemble, and nail together. making sure its square is the hard bit. 

husband loves woodworking so he prefers that. don't paint cedar its fab and weathers well. painting is hard work and a waste on cedar.

wbc are traditionally white. i have one but don't use it. its for showing people why they are annoying. named after william broughton carr, not to be confused with william carr who was a newton heath beekeeper who also did some interesting stuff.

1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

Is an insect hotel like a bee'n'bee?

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bees in a line?...difficult to say without seeing the photo but at a guess sharing wax to build comb.

As for poly hive...Nooooo!...awful, don't breathe properly in the winter and so great for fungal diseases...go for cedar (doesn't need preservation) or cheap pine (use RAW linseed oil)...raw in bold for a reason as other linseed oil is toxic. Easy to 'build' as everything is machined, just make sure square by measuring diagonal distance across corners (should be the same)....

Finally, join local beekeeping association (see BBKA or WBKA or SBKA for club listing) and do an inexpensive course....not all 'old duffers'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I like to scorch my boxes on a regular basis to prevent disease, have you tried doing that with a polystyrene box?..:-)))

That said (and in fairness) there isn't any scientific literature showing my statement, so its pretty subjective and based on having used both...I can see the advantages of polyhives (light weight, insulation, no cracks/gaps for varroa/moths/pathogens to hide in) but I can also see the advantages of wooden ones (easy to repair, scorch) so 'Pays yer money, takes yer choice'...and as we all know 'for every two beekeepers there are three opinions'!

 

Be (no pun intended) interesting to see what the bees prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2018 at 16:59, MrXxx said:

Well I like to scorch my boxes on a regular basis to prevent disease, have you tried doing that with a polystyrene box?..:-)))

That said (and in fairness) there isn't any scientific literature showing my statement, so its pretty subjective and based on having used both...I can see the advantages of polyhives (light weight, insulation, no cracks/gaps for varroa/moths/pathogens to hide in) but I can also see the advantages of wooden ones (easy to repair, scorch) so 'Pays yer money, takes yer choice'...and as we all know 'for every two beekeepers there are three opinions'!

 

Be (no pun intended) interesting to see what the bees prefer.

The poly ones sound like a potential Bee Grenfell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

The poly ones sound like a potential Bee Grenfell.

it was a poly hive that got set on fire a few year ago here. feb 15 2015.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.