• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Loan to own

Recommended Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44307663

'High-cost credit is used by three million people in the UK.

Single-parents aged 18 to 34 are three times more likely to have a high-cost loan - such as a payday loan, doorstep loan or pawnbroking loan - than the national average.'

Now with tax credits, single parents are in the top 20% of UK earners, so its not low earnings.

Its just being thick and impulsive.

Saying that, the likes of Birghthouse need killing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44307663

'High-cost credit is used by three million people in the UK.

Single-parents aged 18 to 34 are three times more likely to have a high-cost loan - such as a payday loan, doorstep loan or pawnbroking loan - than the national average.'

Now with tax credits, single parents are in the top 20% of UK earners, so its not low earnings.

Its just being thick and impulsive.

Saying that, the likes of Birghthouse need killing.

My partner used to work with a woman who'd rave about how great brighthouse was. We referred to her as 'Brighthouse vicky'.

Can't remember the figures but we worked out she was paying £2500 for a £600 Samsung TV. Assuming she actually kept up the payments and they didn't come and take it off her a couple of grand in. Absolutely bonkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spygirl said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44307663

'High-cost credit is used by three million people in the UK.

Single-parents aged 18 to 34 are three times more likely to have a high-cost loan - such as a payday loan, doorstep loan or pawnbroking loan - than the national average.'

Now with tax credits, single parents are in the top 20% of UK earners, so its not low earnings.

Its just being thick and impulsive.

Saying that, the likes of Birghthouse need killing.

"Now with tax credits, single parents are in the top 20% of UK earners, so its not low earnings."

^ That can't be right, surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

"Now with tax credits, single parents are in the top 20% of UK earners, so its not low earnings."

^ That can't be right, surely?

Yep.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found myself in a Brighthouse store in Middlesbrough (yes I know). I thought it was just a new electrical shop like currys.  Anyhow, I was confused when there was no prices, just a monthly payment on the ticket.  I stood there and did a couple of calculations on thought 'who in the world would shop here?'   o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

"Now with tax credits, single parents are in the top 20% of UK earners, so its not low earnings."

^ That can't be right, surely?

Have a look on entitled to website. You'd be amazed. Top tip, 16h is the magic number. There's no real cap either so a family of 6 children and 2 adults with only one adult working 16h would be entitled to around 42k takehome. Which would be what a 60-65k salary? Certainly top 3-4% for single earner and probably top 8-10% for household income. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, One percent said:

I found myself in a Brighthouse store in Middlesbrough (yes I know). I thought it was just a new electrical shop like currys.  Anyhow, I was confused when there was no prices, just a monthly payment on the ticket.  I stood there and did a couple of calculations on thought 'who in the world would shop here?'   o.O

Someone who cannot do 12yo's maths..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cosmic Apple said:

My partner used to work with a woman who'd rave about how great brighthouse was. We referred to her as 'Brighthouse vicky'.

Can't remember the figures but we worked out she was paying £2500 for a £600 Samsung TV. Assuming she actually kept up the payments and they didn't come and take it off her a couple of grand in. Absolutely bonkers.

I suppose it comes down to, should the state prevent thick people from making very poor financial decisions? I - personally - do not think so. People need to learn from their mistakes, thick or otherwise.

Brighthouse gets a bad rep but there's an even "worse" one. Can't remember the name of it now but they were/are selling used items at similar prices to BH.

Fairforyou has been around for years, why aren't people using it? The only people who get in a tizzy over Brighthouse are Guardianistas who patronise the poor. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/28/brighthouse-buying-interest-rates-rent-to-own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I suppose it comes down to, should the state prevent thick people from making very poor financial decisions? I - personally - do not think so. People need to learn from their mistakes, thick or otherwise.

Leave them to it imho. I only hear about it as my GF works in an industry largely populated by low level staff who are really really stupid. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thombleached said:

Have a look on entitled to website. You'd be amazed. Top tip, 16h is the magic number. There's no real cap either so a family of 6 children and 2 adults with only one adult working 16h would be entitled to around 42k takehome. Which would be what a 60-65k salary? Certainly top 3-4% for single earner and probably top 8-10% for household income. 

What is the 42k made up from? Not doubting, just wondering if I should knock a few more kids out and leave my job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I suppose it comes down to, should the state prevent thick people from making very poor financial decisions? I - personally - do not think so. People need to learn from their mistakes, thick or otherwise.

Brighthouse gets a bad rep but there's an even "worse" one. Can't remember the name of it now but they were/are selling used items at similar prices to BH.

Fairforyou has been around for years, why aren't people using it? The only people who get in a tizzy over Brighthouse are Guardianistas who patronise the poor. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/28/brighthouse-buying-interest-rates-rent-to-own

I would agree but it’s free money they are chucking around. Easy come, easy go as they say. Now if they had to earn it, they would in all likelihood behave differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One percent said:

I found myself in a Brighthouse store in Middlesbrough (yes I know). I thought it was just a new electrical shop like currys.  Anyhow, I was confused when there was no prices, just a monthly payment on the ticket.  I stood there and did a couple of calculations on thought 'who in the world would shop here?'   o.O

I shop at Brighthouse and rather frequently, personally I can't see why anyone wouldn't shop there 🤪

Credit Unions are a power unto themselves. There was a poster in the window of our Lichfield CU and the loans on offer of circa 14.9%+++ next to that one was another one asking joe public to save with them but no detail on the savings rate. Doing some on the hoof sums I thought I'd better investigate further online when I got home anticipating at least a fair cut of the cake (a third for the CU overheads, a third more for them and a third for me 😋).... I wish I hadn't bothered it was closer to 0.02% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewryH said:

What is the 42k made up from? Not doubting, just wondering if I should knock a few more kids out and leave my job.

After housing benefit... child tax credits rather than the working element IIRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I shop at Brighthouse and rather frequently, personally I can't see why anyone wouldn't shop there 🤪

Credit Unions are a power unto themselves. There was a poster in the window of our Lichfield CU and the loans on offer of circa 14.9%+++ next to that one was another one asking joe public to save with them but no detail on the savings rate. Doing some on the hoof sums I thought I'd better investigate further online when I got home anticipating at least a fair cut of the cake (a third for the CU overheads, a third more for them and a third for me 😋).... I wish I hadn't bothered it was closer to 0.02% 

Why would anyone shove their savings in there then?  I can get half a percent at the Nationwide....:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can forecast the future here. If they ban "loan to own" you'll get people going to loan sharks and borrowing money. Then in five years time they will campaign to bring back Bright House.

A woman was on the telly complaining because she went to a shop and they "sold" her something. Seemingly the shop should have turned her down.

In all honesty, democracy is flawed when complete retards get the exact same vote as sensible people. I honestly wouldn't allow Bright House customers to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, One percent said:

I found myself in a Brighthouse store in Middlesbrough (yes I know). I thought it was just a new electrical shop like currys.  Anyhow, I was confused when there was no prices, just a monthly payment on the ticket.  I stood there and did a couple of calculations on thought 'who in the world would shop here?'   o.O

How much did your £7.99 calculator cost over 36 months?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I suppose it comes down to, should the state prevent thick people from making very poor financial decisions? I - personally - do not think so. People need to learn from their mistakes, thick or otherwise.

Brighthouse gets a bad rep but there's an even "worse" one. Can't remember the name of it now but they were/are selling used items at similar prices to BH.

Fairforyou has been around for years, why aren't people using it? The only people who get in a tizzy over Brighthouse are Guardianistas who patronise the poor. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/28/brighthouse-buying-interest-rates-rent-to-own

The problem with that approach is that when 100s of thousands make a mistake it then becomes too big to fail and they all get baled out

And of course, those that didn't make the mistake are the ones that bale them out.

So, yes please, I'd like these people in straight jackets so they can't sign on any dotted line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

301.99 why? 

I've just had to purchase some crap furniture/appliances. I went to a secondhand shop, and it was cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I've just had to purchase some crap furniture/appliances. I went to a secondhand shop, and it was cheap.

And you paid no VAT to the bastard government.

And you haven't damaged the environment by purchasing new.

And you have saved all that furniture from landfill.

 

I think you can treat yourself to a light ale as a reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I've just had to purchase some crap furniture/appliances. I went to a secondhand shop, and it was cheap.

Most people (according to my aunt) can’t give second hand furniture away 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Most people (according to my aunt) can’t give second hand furniture away 

You can if it's good stuff and your grandfather died on it with a famous prostitute!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

You can if it's good stuff and your grandfather died on it with a famous prostitute!

Even then... my local sales room has shut. It’s been there for centuries. Going to be turned into luxury holiday accommodation apparently. 

Thats progress. 

 

 

 

Apparently. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And you paid no VAT to the bastard government.

And you haven't damaged the environment by purchasing new.

And you have saved all that furniture from landfill.

 

I think you can treat yourself to a light ale as a reward.

Am I Frank-blessed for thriftyness now? I just had to spend £400 keeping my 25 year old car going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.